Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Prague... how long? Best location to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again everyone...

One city that I a really looking forward to staying in and seeing properly is Prague. I will be away for a couple of months and do not want to rush around, but see places properly and soak in the atmosphere. I would appreciate any advice re :
*Decent accomodation in good spots
*How long to stay in Prague
*The attractions and things to do that I just shouldnt miss...!!

Thanks in anticipation

Cathy
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:24 AM

Prague is a great city to explore - there are many things to do but it is also a small city and how much you explore depends on the season you are going in. You didn't say which season but in any case here is a list of my fav stuff in Prague:

Places to go:
1. Definately the Hradcany area - where the Castle and Royal Palace is.
2. Wandering around and getting lost in the backstreats of Stare Mesto.
3. I didnt get to look at the Jewish ghetto section in Josehov but I've heard that that's really nice as well.
4. Charles Bridge (if you are going in more pleasant weather there will be restaurants open by the bridge and river side)
5. Old town square and the astronomical tower.
6. OUr hotel was in zizkov - a more residential neighborhood but just 8 minutes to the city center by tram. It's also where Communists were heavily concentrated..Nice place to see in contrast of city center.

Where to eat:
1. Bar BAr in Mala Strana - quirky, art cafe with great crepes and snacks.
2. Dahab - one of my favorite places. a middle eastern themese lounge/teahouse.
3. Pizzeria Giovanni Ristorante in the Old town squre - great italian food for very little $.

Other tips:
Prague is a great city to just get lost in. It's also a great city to people watch.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:24 AM

Hi
You're going to be in Prague a couple of months,or your trip to several destinations will last a couple of months?
Either way, good for you! I was there for 5 days last March (one day was a daytrip out of Prague) and I'm returning for 5 days this April. The highlights can be seen in 3-5 days.

I prefer the most central locations whenever I travel (though a longer stay of weeks or months is a different story, I would want a more residential area perhaps). Anyway, for a hotel, anywhere that is within a 20-minute walk of the Charles Bridge would be very central.

I have a file on Prague; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:19 AM
ira

Hi chick,

We very much enjoyed our stay at http://www.abaka.com/Czech/Dientzenhofer/

Have you looked at the miniguide to Prague under "destinations"?

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:39 AM

I was there last summer for the first time and stayed 5 days which felt about right. One day I took a day trip to Czeky Krumlov (a small town a couple of hours away). There are numerous days trips to towns and castles that easily done from Prague so if you want to see some of the surrounding area you might want a few more days.

I stayed in the center of town - in the old town but right near the new town. I walked everywhere and never bothered with learning the metro system (though I hear it's pretty easy). I considered some places slightly further out from the center but in the end opted to stay in a (probably) less nice hotel but right in the center and I'm glad I did.

As others said, just wandering around is the most enjoyable thing to do. The architecture is fantastic. Of course the castle is wonderful and the baroque churches are beautiful. St Nicholas in Mala Strana is the most amazing church interior. I went to a concert there and it was defifnitly worth it. You don't have to book concerts in advance, there are people handing out flyers and selling tickets for concerts every day in the summer time.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:08 AM

I've been to Prague several times and I agree with the three-five day/night recs although always depends on what you are interested in.

Prague is a lot larger than some people relaize but the area most visitors concentrate on is much smaller. Easy to get around both on the Metro and by using the trams. There is a card available which covers transport and some museums/Castle complex but do research before buying because sometimes those cards are not economical.

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:06 AM

I will top my trip report on Prague for you, Lakeside.

I think the area around Pariska Street/Old Town Square is the best place to stay for convenience. Second would be Mala Strana. However, Prague has a very good and cheap Metro. Therefore, staying anywhere within walking distance to a Metro station is fine.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:55 PM
MaureenB

We stayed in a pension in Prague last June, called the U Lilie, that I wouldn't highly recommend except it's clean and a great location right near the Bridge (although a crowded spot with tourists).

But I did collect brochures from three hotels I wanted to remember in case we returned: The Hotel Neruda, the Hotel U krale Karla, and the Grand Hotel Bohemia.

The Neruda is on the hill going up to Prague Castle. It has a nice cafe on its rooftop, for views of the city below. Its brochure calls it four-star, an historical building reconstructed. Lobby had a nice, contemporary feel, clean and well-done. Rack rate is 220 EUR in high season for a double. It's website is www.hotelneruda.cz

The U krale Karla is in a gothic building, rebuilt in 1639, renovated in 1993. It had more an old Prague feeling to it, old elegance. In Lesser Town, also near the Castle, only 16 double rooms and 3 suites, high season rates for double room deluxe is 6900CZK. Website: www.romantichotels.cz

The Grand Hotel Bohemia is a five-star, in Old Town next to the Powder Tower (also a good location), 78 rooms and suites. It's a classic, old, elegant-looking place that looked charming, too. (No rate sheet in their brochure.) Website: www.grandhotelbohemia.cz

Also heard great things about the Pension Dientzenhofer, but we didn't see it in person.

We didn't see any of the rooms themselves, but from walking through the lobbies and asking at the desk, they looked promising.

So much fun to plan a trip! We were there just three nights, but needed at least one more.

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:27 PM

Hi Chick,
I stayed in Prague 10 days and loved it. Only one day did we do day trip. (Czeky Krumlov). Stayed at the Intercontinental--not too much charm but very nice and a great location-in Jewish Quarter and a very short walk to Old Town Square. There is also a metro stop nearby and a tram stop right across the street. The tram was great to get to the castle area. Happy travels!
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:38 PM

As an act of New Year's generosity I will share with all readers a website I have been saving for myself -- featuring 2 killer hotels of which I want to stay at the newer one, a boutique hotel opened late in 2003:

http://www.hidden-places.com.

Hope this helps....and if anyone knows these hotels, please advise on their merits.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much, this forum is amazing...!! For thse who asked, I am planning to be in Prague around May or June, probably for around a week or so. I am so excited!! Thanks again for all of your help.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 01:08 AM

Hi,

I differ from rv224. I found the Hradcany area a bit too far from downtown. I prefered the Mala Strana area.

We also stayed a night at Cesky Krimlov. It was the best decision. Most tourists come as day-trippers and during the night, the place is so quiet. You could almost feel that you were having it to yourself.

I would recommend spending a night there. It was a truly magical place - but that probably had something to do with it being where my now-husband proposed.

I don't know if my posts are still around, but I did post the name of the place I stayed - a really nice bed & breakfast.

-- Nanda.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:20 AM

We spent 7 days in Prague last April and loved it. We stayed at Pension Dientzenhoffer on the Mala Strana side. We also loved the pension. We had a two bedroom suite and it was spacious and immaculate. The breakfast was really excellent, too. We loved the Mala Strana side and the quaint streets near our pension. We found Prague to be a lovely city and coming from New York we found it to be a very relaxing vacation. So much to see- and we also took advantage of going to concerts and the ballet. We loved the Castle and area, Jewish Quarter Tour, we went to Terezin, Mucha Museum, and spent a lot of time just walking around and admiring the fabulous art, sculpture, and buildings. The city is a museum unto itself. You should try to make time to walk over the Charles bridge in the early morning hours- it was quite a lovely experience. We ate at Don Giovanni- delicious, Kmotra Pizzeria, and Kampa Park (food was a bit disappointing but the view is great). There was a small Italian cafe in the city square that was good for lunch and a restaurant on the other side of the clock that had both Czech and Vegetarian cuisine. Can't recall the name but it was excellent and we ate in the basement level which was a beautiful stone room.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 10:02 AM

I've been to Prague twice and really love it, also. I would think at least five days for most people, although you could easily stay longer and do some day trips (which is what I do).

I also would not prefer to stay near the castle area, I think it's too inconvenient -- I like near Old Town square (Josefov area, specifically), but Mala Strana is nice, also.

I just wanted to warn you that there is a very wellknown and famous classical music festival in Prague every year in May/June (beginning May 12th for about a month). I've been there twice for that as I love classical music, and it's great. There are wonderful performances, very cheap. However, it does get crowded and if you want a choice of hotels, you had better decide and book ASAP as the good ones do get booked up early. I think I reserved in early Feb. for that, or maybe January. If you want to go to any musical performances, you should also reserve those tickets ahead as the most in-demand ones do sell out far ahead of time.

The festival's web site is www.festival.cz
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:02 PM

If you have the time, then I would stay a week, and take some day trips from there, also. You might consider an apartment, which would give you a bigger amount of space to relax & spread out. Also, you could do laundry, etc.

Some companies that are reputable:

www.travel.cz

www.marys.cz

www.athos.cz

www.pragueaccomodations.com

The first three also book hotels & apartments, so you'll be able to see your choices clearly. Enjoy!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:04 PM
MaureenB

A helpful website--

http://www.livingprague.com/hotel.htm

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 06:05 PM

I just figured out a problem that I have been having, and now see amp32 made it too. It is www.pragueaccommodations.com, with two M's and not just one. We split a week between two of their units last April, and will stay in this one for a week this April:
http://www.pragueaccommodations.com/ben.html

I like the space of an apartment, and this one is just around the corner from Obecni Dum (Municipal House)> Hotels are nice too, I guess.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 03:06 PM

You are right about the spelling for "pragueaccommodations".. Sometimes I can't find the website, because of the spelling..! They have great places, though, and the owner is very nice.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 03:19 PM

My daughter was a spelling bee champ and I thought she got the genes from me, but I insisted on believing it was one 'm' for way too long a time!