positano/capri and airports

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just starting to plan a trip to Italy for the end of July. I hope it's not too late. Anyway, I was assuming that we would fly to Rome and rent a car to drive to Positano. Now I see that we could also fly to Naples (we're coming from California, so both flights would go through Germany). Naples is closer to the final destination, but more expensive and we would arrive very late at night--and it doesn't sound like there are any good airport hotel options.

Is it a bad idea to have a rental car in Positano? I guess there also would be the issue of what to do with it while we went to Capri. If we come from the Rome airport, are there drivers for hire who make the trip to Positano if we decide not to rent a car?
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 02:24 PM
ira

Hi J,

Are you going only to the AC?

If into Naples is inconvenient, how about flying out?

If you have to fly into Rome, I suggest that you take the train to Naples and Have a driver take you to Positano.

We were pleased with Limousine Service Sorrento (Renato Cuomo)
www.cuomonet.it

Also consider Francesco. http://www.francescomarrapese.com/

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we are only going to the AC. We don't have lots of time, and we have been to Rome on several trips. I guess we should look at the Naples schedule again and try harder to make that work.

Any suggestions for a hotel in Naples, if necessary. Also in Positano and Capri? Eden Roc in Positano and La Minerva in Capri seem to get great reviews.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 03:34 PM

I agree with Ira's advice. But before you book your flights, try to reserve the hotels. Many of them book up months ahead for the summer months, and you may have to change dates of arrival/departure according to hotel availability.

And yes, I think it's a bad idea to have a rental car in Positano. Town is very small, crowded, and parking is extremely limited. I'd suggest using boats between destinations as much as possible, or, if you have to, the SITA bus.

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 03:38 PM

About hotels: In Positano, I really love the Hotel Poseidon, a small family-run hotel just uphill from Le Sirenuse. We've stayed there many times, and love the service, food, and beautiful views.

We haven't stayed at La Minerva in Capri, but it looks very nice. However, there's no pool.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 04:38 PM
GBC

Once you reach Positano you will not need a car. In fact, it is easier and less expensive not have one. If you do take a car be sure to get detailed instructions from your hotel about where you can park it, print out the advice and take it with you.

I agree with the suggestion to arrange your rooms before the air because you may find it crowded. Positano is a very popular holiday destination among Italians as well as others.

We stayed at Hotel Buca di Bacca. It was very nice and it has a very nice location.