Is it ok to go Naples/ Capri/ Positano/Naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.I have been told that it is doing things backwards to go to Capri then Positano. Is it a hassle to get from Naples to Capri. How long does it take? The accommodation I really wanted is only available this way around. It will be 5 nights in Capri and 7 in Positano. Is that too long? I figure that we can do a lot of day trips from Positano and Capri will be more of a relax.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Pausanias

"I have been told that it is doing things backwards to go to Capri then Positano."

Bizarre. I don't know what they were thinking.

"Is it a hassle to get from Naples to Capri."

No.

"How long does it take?"

The regular ferry takes about an hour and 20 minutes. The hydrofoil takes about 40 minutes.

"The accommodation I really wanted is only available this way around."

Then do it.

"It will be 5 nights in Capri and 7 in Positano. Is that too long?"

You will certainly have a very thorough knowledge of both places.

"I figure that we can do a lot of day trips from Positano and Capri will be more of a relax."

Yep, although there are a series of nice hikes on Capri.

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:50 PM

Personally, I think that 7 nights in Positano is a long time. You could split it with 3 nights up at Ravello. That is what we did.
You can actually hike down into Almafi from there and then take a taxi back up after sitting in a cafe watching the ebb-n-flow of humanity.Either way, its a great area.
Pete
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:19 PM

I think a week in Positano sounds wonderful, but that's because I could easily spend two weeks there! If you're content to take in the scenery, eat wonderful food, and explore the area with an occasional day trip, you should thorougly enjoy it. If these kinds of activities would bore you, you might want to break up the time by staying a few days in Positano, and a few in Ravello or Sorrento.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:46 PM

Actually, I think it's simpler to get from Positano from Capri than it is from Naples.

5 nights on Capri and 7 in Positano is luxuriant. That's 12 days of little else but sea and sun. If you are an avid hiker, you will not run out of hikes. If you want a very long vaction of reading and recuperating (or have a novel you would like to finish writing), 13 days in the Amalfi will fly by.

I'm not sure I'd consider leaving Positano for Ravello or vice versa such a change of pace or scene. I'd be more inclined to head for Pompeii or maybe points south. (And for me, Naples) While Positano and Ravello (and Capri) are different, they are all places meant for idling the time away.

Maybe one way to think about the questions "Is 13 days too long?" is to ask yourself if you would enjoy 5 days on a beautiful Greek island, immediately followed by 7 days on a beautiful Greek beach nearby. Now add to that lots and lots and lots of tourists and tourist shops, and fine restaurants. Would you choose to spend 13 days there?

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 07:31 AM
ira

Hi C,

If you are looking too just chill out and relax for 5 nights, Capri is a terrific idea.

7 nights in Positano will be perfect.

You might find the AC part of my trip report helpful:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044