Notices

Please help.....Capri or Positano?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:44 PM
Amber

Please help.....Capri or Positano?

Hello! Would you recommend staying in Capri or Positano for 3 nights in September? We are fit 27 year olds and will be on our honeymoon. I am currently booked at Villa Rosa in Positano and had planned to daytrip to Capri, but since I read that there is no longer any hydrofoil service from Naples to Positano, I wondered if it would be more convenient to stay in Capri and day trip to Positano? Where is there more to do? Hope this makes sense. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:54 PM
Mary

I would stay in Positano and day trip to Capri. There is a boat that goes from Amalfi to Capri and back. If you stay in Positano you can travel to Amalfi and Ravello also - which of course you can't miss. If you stay in Capri, you would always have to take the boats to all these locations.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 01:37 PM
john

Stay in Positano and daytrip to Capri. Much more to do on the mainland and Positano is absolutely gorgeous.

Have fun.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:53 PM
Susan

Hi Amber,
My husband and I preferred Capri to Positano for our honeymoon, although Positano is a more convenient location than Capri for sightseeing.
Positano is less touristy than Capri and has great restaurants, although we were surprised to see a fairly large amount of garbage floating in the water. The swimmers didn't seem to mind, but we couldn't bring ourselves to go into the water. The "beach" at Positano is made of huge pebbles. On the other hand, Capri has no real beaches, but the water is clear and beautiful.
If you are looking for rest and relaxation and/or enjoy shopping for luxury goods, Capri is a good choice. But if you are interested in exploring the area, perhaps seeing Ravello or Sorrento, it would be wise to stay in Positano. For a romantic dinner with a lovely ocean view, try Le Sirenuse. Le Tre Sorelle (spelling?) in Positano is very popular and crowded, but the food is average. For authentic Caprese cuisine, we enjoyed Da Paolino in Anacapri. The restaurant is set in a grove of lemons.
I hope you have a wonderful honeymoon. Kindest regards,
Susan

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 06:27 AM
richard j vicek

Good morning,,Amber Personally prefer
Capri or Sorrento, beleive the view of
the Bay of Naples, with Naples and Vesuvius is one of the best. Positano
and the Amalfi are very impressive from the sea, but the view from it is just
the sea... Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 12:04 PM
ken

I agree with Richard - Sorrento is the best home base to work from. You can day trip to Capri, Positano, Herculaneum, Pompeii, Amalfi, etc. The best place to stay is the Hotel Ilnido. www.ilnido.it. The hotel has a great view of Vesuvius which is directly across the bay.

Have fun.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Amber

ttt

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 05:19 PM
Debra

Amber
My husband and I just got back from Positano and we stayed at the Villa Rosa. It was great! The views from our room were spectacular, the accomodations although not luxurious were clean and the owners friendly. Breakfast came promptly at our requested time and the best part is it's directly across the street from the beautiful 5 star hotel Le Sirenuse. I would highly recommend going thei for drinks and or a romantic dinner one night. The one bad part about the Villa Rosa was hiking up and down the many stairs each day but that did help us burn off some calories after all the wonderful food we had just about everywhere! Sadly we loved Positano so much we never made it to Capri but I wished I had.There are many boats that will take you over down by the beach. It's about a 20 -30 minute ride depending on which boat you take. People warned us against taking the hydrofoil because it's a bit rocky but I can't tell you first hand! Have a great time.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:34 PM
Debbie

Amber, I loved Positano because it is easier to get around to Amalfi, Ravello etc. I also just enjoyed the town so much more than Capri, because it seemed more fun, less touristy, good restaurants.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Amanda

We stayed on the Sorrento Pennesula last year and hired a private boat to take us to Capri. It was the highlight of our trip as we spent the whole day exploring the coast and private beaches. Our captain dropped us off on Capri for lunch then took us all around the island. Our kids swam in the Blue Grotto and can't wait to go back. This only cost about $300 for 10 of us for all day. We got the captain's name from a local who 'had a friend' so ask around. Have fun!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Lisa

I just returned from 3 wonderful days in Capri. We stayed at Villa Brunella and loved it. I went to Positano last year and stayed at Villa Franca and absolutely loved it as well. If I had to choose between the two for my honeymoon, though, I would definitely stay in Positano. Positano is more laid back, less commercial, not as jam packed with people and more accessible to other places such as Amalfi and Ravello. Capri has high end designer boutiques (Prada, Gucci, etc.) lots of action and great people watching (I've never seen so many gorgeous well-dressed stylish people!); Positano has character and charm. If you do stay in Positano for 3 nights, I'm not sure I would recommend Capri for a day trip because the flavor of Capri is appreciated by staying the night so you can enjoy it after the day-trippers leave.