Notices

Capri, Positano and Ravello

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capri, Positano and Ravello

I need help planing a trip - I want to include 2 nights in Positano, 2 in Ravello and 3 in Capri. We will be flying into Naples. Where should we go first ? How should we get to the other 2 ?
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:14 AM

That's a lot of running around. You can get to Capri from Naples, then boat to Positano, then driver or boat/bus to Ravello.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Do you think that's too much for 7 nights ?
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:30 AM

I would probably do 3 in Positano, 2 in Capri and 2 in Ravello. The order depends on where you are coming from and where you are going to after. For instance if you come to the AC via Sorrento and leave via Salerno, Positano - Capri - Ravello makes sense.

Personally I think it's fine to stay in all 3 and not just do daytrips. We stayed in both Positano and Ravello and I wouldn't have minded a night or two on Capri as well (we day tripped there).
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:31 AM

JerseySue: have you determined your base yet? It seems to me that if you want to be or visit all 3 places, it might make more sense to just find a central base and stay there for the 7 nights and take day trips to the 3 places you want to see. Getting to all 3 of those places might best be accessed from staying in either Naples or Sorrento. From each place, there are ferry boats that can take you to Capri, Ravello (Amalfi) and Positano. It does not make sense to change hotels every 2 nights in Ravello and Positano as they are very close together on the Amalfi Coast. Maybe after your base hotel location, you could do the stay-over in Capri instead? Or if you still wish to stay in either Positano or Ravello, pick one (1) of those towns rather than both, as they are so close to each other.

In terms of getting around, as aforementioned, there are the ferry boats and local SITA busses. From Naples airport, there is a daily shuttle Alibus that runs every hour to the train station (Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento), Molo Beverello port (boats to Capri, Amalfi, Positano, etc), and Piazza Municipio. Alternatively, there is also a shuttle that goes directly to Sorrento (Piazza Tasso). Don't feel obligated to hire a driver and pay a huge price, unless, of course, you want to! Buon viaggio!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:01 AM

Hi JerseySue,

I would recommend staying 2 or 3 nights on Capri. Then the other nights would depend on what you want to do. Ravello is not convenient for public trans, so only stay there if you want to park yourselves and not see other towns.

If you do want to have some nightlife, lots of touristy shopping and visit other towns, Positano would be best. If you are going during the "season" - trave by boat as much as possible. The buses are a nightmare.

I would NOT recommend going to Capri as a daytrip!
Buon viaggio!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:27 AM

A group of four of us went to the Amalfi Coast this past May. We too had debated on breaking the trip into chunks, ie, two nights one place, a few nights in another, etc. We decided, sort of at the last minute, to stay all six nights in Positano. We're all glad we did. Though I think Ravello is a great place to visit, I'm not sure if you really need more than a day there. Yes, one could spend more time in Capri, but I figure we'll be going back at some point.
Positano, though it has its detractors, has lots to offer. The Amalfi Coast is relativelt compact, so I think picking one spot just makes things easier on everybody. (I hate unpacking and repacking more than once or twice.)
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help ! I think staying in Positano and Capri and a day trip to Ravello looks like the best idea.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 04:43 PM

We just got back from Amalfi coast a few weeks ago and we did a house, VRBO, rented a car and did all the towns. If I ever return I would again do one base town, probably Positano, or Sorrento, pack an overnighter, catch the boat at Sorrento pier and do Capri for two days. One in our party was an experienced international driver and that made it great, along with portable navigation. It is a beautiful part of Italy. Good luck with your plans