Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 nights in Positano or 3 in Positano and 1 in Capri?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a total of 4 days on the Amalfi Coast during our 2-week trip to Italy in May. After reading many posts here about the cons of &quot;daytripping&quot; to Capri, we booked 3 nights in Positano, and then 1 in Capri, before heading to Rome for the last 4 days of our trip.<BR><BR>Just curious to hear if it's worth the &quot;hassle&quot; of changing hotels for just one night. I figured, we want to see Capri either way, so we might as well stay the night. <BR><BR>What do you think?<BR><BR><BR>
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 02:05 PM

Last May, we did two nights in Sorrento with a day trip to Capri out of Sorrento. Then, spent a night in Positano and a night in Amalfi. For us, the day trip (early hydrofoil out; late one back) was fine. We hiked, ate and enjoyed but didn't have to drag our luggage on the boats. It worked well for us.<BR><BR>You'll love Positano! Whatever you decide, it will be a nice contrast to Rome.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 03:05 PM

I agree with CleoB. Day tripping from Positano to Capri is fine. Unless you're staying more than one night on Capri, it's not worth the hassle of dragging your luggage. Plus, you'll probably want to stay all 4 nights in Positano. I know we did, and wished we were staying more than 4.<BR>Hope that helps.<BR>--JAFA
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:02 PM

I think the experience of staying even one night in Capri is more than worth all the hassles! Please stay with your plan and you won't be sorry.In anycase the whole Amalfi Coast is breathtaking
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 10:27 PM

From Positano in about twenty minutes by car you could go to the port of Sorrento from which take the hydrofoil to Capri.<BR>
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 06:12 AM

Although it's a hassle, based on what I've read here, I'd opt for a night or two in Capri. So many people have said that after the daytrippers leave, Capri is a completely different island. Might as well stay and see it that way!<BR>The only suggestion I'd make for convenience sake, and to cut travel time, would be to do the trip in reverse. Start in Capri, spend a few days in Positano, then head back to Rome.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 11:02 AM

I admit I see the other side of the coin here. I haven't stayed overnight on Capri, but I'm sure it's even more magnificent after the day-trippers leave. And, I guess if you don't have tons of luggage, it's not such a big hassle. I suppose we're just in love with Positano and always want to spend our nights there.<BR>I'm confused though by fromitaly's remarks. If mma73 is staying in Positano, why not take the hydrofoil to Capri from Positano instead of driving to Sorrento? Just curious.