Notices

Ravello, Capri or Positano

Old Feb 7th, 2003, 05:19 AM
emo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ravello, Capri or Positano

My husband and I are travelling to the Almalfi Coast for Thursday night, friday, saturday and sunday and maybe Monday. Our flight leaves from Rome at 10:40 AM on Tuesday so I assumed we would probably have to stay in Rome Monday night? What do you think, can we get back that early from the coast on Tuesday morning? Also since we only have a limited amount of time, we were wondering where we should go. I was thinking of staying in Ravello for 2 days and Positano for two days and taking a day trip to Capri. Or should we spend two days in Positano and Two days in Capri and take a day trip to Ravello. Any help would be apprecited. Thanks.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 05:47 AM

personally, I loved Ravello and would stay there before Positano any day. I have never been to Capri so couldn't say. Depends on what you like and want to do... Positano has more shopping and eating options and clings to the side of a cliff, so is very picturesque. That said, the road runs through it, so I found it a bit noisy and really not my cup of tea. Ravello sits on top of the cliff and looks down with the most incredible views, but is smaller and quieter with fewer shopping/eating options. What about 2 nights in Capri, stop in Positano for lunch and an afternoon of wandering on your way to Ravello and then two nights in Ravello? Or stop in Positano for the afternoon on your way back to Rome? Are you driving yourselves or taking public transportation?
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 07:29 AM

Because you have limited time, I would base in Positano, and take daytrips from there to Capri ( which you can do by hydrofoil depending on weather conditions) and Ravello ( which you can get to by the SITA buses, or private hired driver). I think Ravello is quite beautiful, but in terms of views plus accessiblity to a town with a range of restaurants, shops, hightlife, I would choose Positano in a heartbeat. Just so you know, Positano is roughly a three hour ride from Rome. Your hotel can probably arrange a driver to pick you up in Rome and take you back, or you can take the train to Naples and a bus from there to Positano. Good luck and have a great time!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 07:42 AM

Capri to me is definitley only a day trip! Way too touristy for my liking. That said, I love Positano. It is the perfect mix of tourist restaurants and shops and unparalleled beauty. Ravello is breathtaking, but much more off the beaten path. I say two nights in Ravello, then two in Positano. Take a private boat trip for a day to Capri. I was there a year or so ago with my Mom who was born in Italy, and we rented a boat for a day, which was an amazing trip to Capri. We were able to swim in the blue grottos, explore the island and then were taken to a little fishing village near Amalfi called Nerano, where a five star dinner was waiting for us at the dock (a great restaurant/hotel). The tours are done by Salvatore and Gennaro. They are located down on the beach in Positano (Go to the booth that arranges the boat tours and ask for them). You do not have to do the private thing, you can opt to share the boat with others. Trust me it was a once and a lifetime experience. It is not super cheap though. To rent the boat privately for the day with the awesome meal it was $600 for 4 people. You can probably get a better deal if you share the boat. Anyway, have an amazing time, the Amalfi Coast is breathtaking.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 07:57 AM

LJW, I'm curious if you stayed in Capri when you went? It has been my experience that most of the people who didn't like Capri only did day trips. I would never recommend doing one to Capri, because you will only see the worst of the island. The magical times in Capri are the early mornings and the late afternoons and evenings once all the daytrippers have left. Use the day there to hike, swim, or visit Anacapri.

My choice would be two nights in Ravello and two nights in Capri, stopping to visit Amalfi. I think the main thing about Positano is sitting enjoying the view from a nice hotel -- but you'll get that in Ravello. Or if you find a hotel in Positano you really want, stay there instead of Ravello, but don't miss two nights on Capri!
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 07:42 AM

Patrick, I WAS only there on a day trip, and I believe you that it must be breathtaking once the crowds have gone. I didn't mean to discourage people from Capri, as it is a gorgeous island. I was just a bit put off by the mobs of people. I by no means intend to paint Capri as a waste of time, it is not. It is a beautiful place, and probably much more enjoyable off the beaten path with less crowds. I still love Ravello and Positano!!!
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 07:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I believe in taking what you can.

If it's more convenient to go to Capri on a day trip because you will only be in the area for a short period, go for it.

It might be preferable to do the day trip and avoid packing and moving.

We've been to Capri twice. Both times from Sorrento for day trips. Yes, there are many more people there during the day. But the views are still breathtaking.

The only mistake we made on the first trip there was spending 2 hours on the Blue Grotto.

On the last visit we walked around quite a bit and the only disappointment was the long walk and ruins at the end of the island.

Very few things are perfect. Make certain decisions and take the good from them.