Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Plitvice Park - anyone been there?? Need help figuring this out...

Aug 31st, 2010, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be in Croatia in May and will be flying from Dubrovnik to Zagreb, then going to Plitvice. Our flight gets into Zagreb at 7:20am. Our plan is to make our way to Plitvice, explore that late afternoon and evening, stay the night in Plitvice and explore the park the next day. Here are our questions:

1. Should we rent a car for our time in the Park or can we still see a lot of things using the park's transportation?

2. Do we have enough time alloted for the park? We won't be doing any major hiking, just enjoying the nature etc...

3. Any recommendations on places to stay?

4. Anyone know the price of the bus to the Park from Zagreb? Is it about 2 1/2 hours?
Aug 31st, 2010, 11:30 AM
kja

A car would not be particularly useful to visit the park itself - the major lakes and waterfalls are seen by footpath, with park transportation to get from one part of the park to another. People spend varying amounts of time in the park. As I recall, the park staff have recommendations for 2, 4, 6, and 8 hour visits, but you can tailor your own visit to whatever suits your interests. Renting a car might make sense as a way to get to and from the park. From what I read before I went, it is easy to get a bus from Zagreb to Plitvice, but difficult to get a bus from Plitvice to Zagreb (or anywhere else). I ended up with a car, so I don't know if that's true or not.

Hope that helps!
Aug 31st, 2010, 11:33 AM

We were there in May - it is wonderful! One of the coolest places I've seen. You will need several hours to see both upper & lower lakes, and you will want to do both. I loved it so much, I wanted to start over and do it again! It's all connected by boardwalks and they are rustic, to say the least. Do not wear flipflops or sandals There are hoards of people, so go as early as it opens.
You won't need a car at the park. We stayed at Jezero Hotel - it was not a great place but you don't have much choice in the park. I think there are only 3-4 hotels that are park-run...very basic but convenient!
Sorry, I don't know about the bus from Zagreb. Hope some of this helps!
Aug 31st, 2010, 01:21 PM

Yes, the Jezero Hotel was quite pleasant. Not at all what I would call basic. And very convenient, being right in the park. We also drove, but met people who had arrived by bus.

Where do you plan to go after Plitvice?
Aug 31st, 2010, 02:01 PM

Let me tell you what you do in the park, which may help you decide.

Pitlivice is a series of small lakes which descend through waterfalls into a deep gorge. You walk along the lakes on boardwalks and trails until you come to a big lake. There you get on a boat and motor to the end of the lake where you can eat, drink, use the toilets (modern) and hang out. Then you follow the trail down another series of waterfalls to the depth of the gorge.

Then you climb out. If there is more to do at Pitlivice, I missed it. I found it very enjoyable and not too physically taxing, but I really enjoyed the sausages and beer.
Aug 31st, 2010, 04:03 PM

We are staying at the Hotel Plitvidka Sedra. It is not right at the entrance to the park but we have a car. If you do not want to use a car you might be better off staying in a hotel in the park.

I found the car rentals in Croatia to be very reasonable. Since you are flying into Zagreb, you could pick one up there and drive to the park. I believe it is under two hours.

I don't know how long you have in Croatia after Plitvice but with a car you could explore the area. Istria is supposed to be very beautiful and only a couple of hours away.

Have a wonderful trip.
Aug 31st, 2010, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Mimar:

We are going to Ljubljana and Bled after. It sounds like a car isn't necessary for the park itself. We have looked into taking a bus from Zagreb to Plitvice. Then the next day what's the best way to get to Ljubljana or Bled? Is there a direct train/bus from Plitvice to Bled?

So many things to decide...
Sep 1st, 2010, 07:17 AM

You will have to return to Zagreb by bus to get your bus or train to Slovenia.
Without a car, I recommend staying at one of the hotels in the park. I stayed at the Hotel Plitvice and it was fine. Not luxury, but just as you would expect for a large hotel in a national park. Some rooms have nice views of the woods. It was really convenient to roll out of bed, have breakfast, and then explore the park all day, and then have dinner in the evening--not a lot of restaurants around there.

If you rent a car, you can stay in one of the sobes that are in the vicinity of the park.

Yes you can do it in one day, but like me and others you may want to do it again, so two nights would not be too much in my opinion. May should not be too crowded, but it is nice to have a morning and evening available to beat the crowds. There are also additional trails in the area if you wish to explore further.

Plitvice is truly a wonder--such an amazing place!

In case you have not seen it, the park website may be of help: http://www.np-plitvicka-jezera.hr

You can check bus timetables at http://www.akz.hr/En.htm
The stop is PLITVICE-JEZERA
Sep 1st, 2010, 07:26 AM

europe2011.
It would take you about four hours to drive from Plitvice to Bled, I would think. If you have to go to Zagreb by bus to take transportation to Bled, it would take you at least that long and more depending on schedules. So count on the good part of one day for travel.
Sep 1st, 2010, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Good infomation everyone. We are thinking about renting the car in Zagreb when our flight arrives, driving to Plitvice, evening in the park, stay the night in Plitvice, morning in the park, driving directly to Bled via Rijeka. Found a great tip about Sixt car rental and found a great price.
Sep 4th, 2010, 05:05 AM

We were at the park in late May, and loved it. It does get crowded in the afternoon with all the tour groups. We stayed right outside the park, about a 10-minute walk in, at a lovely B&B--Krizmanic Family B&B, which we'd highly recommend.
Sep 6th, 2010, 03:42 AM

If you are going from Zagreb to Plitvice you ought to check for car rental agencies there. It might be worth to rent a car and drive yourself as Plitvice aren't that far from Zagreb.
http://www.zagrebcarrental.com/