Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Guided tour from Zagreb to Plitvice Lakes worth it?

Guided tour from Zagreb to Plitvice Lakes worth it?

Jun 21st, 2018, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Guided tour from Zagreb to Plitvice Lakes worth it?

I just don't know if I want to spend 3-4 hours looking at lakes. If there is a particular tour that anyone can recommend, please do.
Jun 21st, 2018, 07:48 PM
kja

Where to start....

The Plitvice Lakes National Park is, IMO, the single most un-missable of Croatia's many splendors. Not only are the lakes connected by travertine waterfall formations, each lake has unique microbiota, and as a result, the lakes are different colors. The best way to see that is to make a single, long loop through the park -- something on the order of6 hours or more (including time for the boat that connects the lower and upper lakes), and by all means, start at the lowest part of the park so you are facing the falls as you proceed. That usually means spending a night in the area.

No guided tour is necessary -- the park is easily visited on your own. There are park rangers at each entrance to the park who will help you plan a route that fits your time and interests. Once you enter, I'm not sure what a guide would do that you can't do for yourselves.
Jun 21st, 2018, 08:08 PM

It isn't just big lakes - it's dozens of little waterfalls, in a beautiful, exotic setting. You don't just "look" at them - you hike, on trails or wooden boardwalks. You can boat across one of the lakes. I visited twice, on two different trips to Croatia. Really an amazing place, just very crowded these days.

The only reason to take a tour from Zagreb is the simplicity vs. taking a public bus and doing it yourself. Once you get to the park, no guide is needed at all - very easy to see on your own. But if you take a tour, expect a lot of people there, especially in the high season and even maybe in the shoulder seasons. Could get VERY crowded mid-day, which Is why I prefer spending a night so I can enter the park when it opens at 7am, before it gets so busy.
Jun 21st, 2018, 08:11 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
you hike.
If it matters, I would disagree -- the trails require walking, not hiking. JMO.
Jun 22nd, 2018, 05:54 AM

I spent a full day (two nights) at Plitvice and wouldn't have wanted less. But everyone is different, I always seek out waterfalls, if you are indifferent to them this may not be worthwhile.
Jun 22nd, 2018, 03:36 PM

Trust me, four hours at Plitvice is worth it. Here is our day there...with photos. Don't forget the Slivovitz!

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...d-in-plitvice/

Search this Thread