Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help me with accomodations in Dubrovnik!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody-

My husband and I are traveling to Dubrovnik for 4 nights beginning May 6th. We do not want to spend the money for a hotel such as Villa Argentina but would like a place close to Old Town with a view. Unfortunately, Villa Adriatica and Villa Ragusa are both booked for this time. What other recommendation do you have for a spectacular sea view, close to Old Town that doesn't cost over $200/night.

Thanks so much for all of your help!
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 03:26 PM

There was a recent trip report
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2 and they stayed in the Old Town at Villa Ragusa, but it's up high enough that it looks like it has a view of the rooftops and the water.
http://villaragusa.netfirms.com/ It is very reasonably priced. There are lots of private accommodations close to the Old Town up the hill with great views also. See JuliaT's trip report. She loved her little apt.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Sorry that link to the report did not work. I'm sure someone else can post the link better than me.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Last summer I stayed at the the Villa Ragusa but pgshorty says that's booked.

This summer I have booked with Jadranka Benussi. Her apartments are just outside the Ploce gate and are well-reviewed and reasonable.

http://www.dubrovnik-online.com/apartments_benussi/
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 03:48 PM

duh, I guess I should read a little more carefully.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 03:51 PM

sshephard, looks like you're outside the Pile Gate. Are there lots of stairs to go up there?
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Oops, yes the Pile Gate. I have yet to stay there. Rick Steves describes the location as "a steep 10-minute hike above the Old Town." It is located close to the Hilton Hotel.

If steps are a problem, it's good the Villa Ragusa isn't available, because it was up a fairly substantial number of the steps from the Stradun.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help. Steps are not a problem! It'll be great exercise for us.

If anybody has any other suggestions please let us know!

Thanks!
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 06:44 AM

Dubrovnik Dream is a great place (Ragusa Apartment) BUT it has no views. It is very close to the old town, no stairs, a gorgeous hidden rocky bay near by...highly recommended. It is only 50 euros.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 03:27 AM

sshephard, the apartment you've booked looks great. What a perfect location; I've bookmarked it for our next trip. Beautiful views, too.

pgshorty, we've stayed at the Hotel Lero. It's about a 20-minute walk from the Stari Grad, though, so it might be a little far for you. But the walk down is breathtakingly beautiful and one of our favorite things to do in Dubrovnik. Plus there's a little park about halfway to town that you walk through, and if you go at the right time of year, the orange blossoms smell heavenly. The Lero doesn't look like much from the outside, but the rooms are nice and modern and if you ask for a room overlooking the Adriatic, the views are wonderful. It's also not very expensive and the staff is very nice. You might want to take a look at it.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 04:40 PM

Last fall we stayed with Jadranka Benussi. Don't let Rick Steves description of her steer you wrong. She's a wonderful, youthful woman with a great command of the English language. I loved staying with her. She is right up from the Hilton, a very short walk from where the airport bus drops you off. She has a covered patio with a beautiful view of Old Town. I recall the rates were very reasonable.