Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help...Is $860 with consolidator on United a decent fare for KC-Paris June 1-18?

Search

Please help...Is $860 with consolidator on United a decent fare for KC-Paris June 1-18?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 12:28 PM
MAP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We know fares tend to be higher in June, but I keep thinking something might come along that is cheaper after the 1st of the year. Do you think it is worth the risk to wait awhile to book air...our dates are even flexible within 2 or 3 days in early June. Is a rate of $700 or less hard to come by in Jan. or Feb.? Thank you very much for advice.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 12:34 PM

I think it's too early for next June, although I try to book those fares early in the year. Do you know what normal fares are from KC to Paris in high season? As I really don't know about KC in particular, but to me, that looks like a pretty standard high season fare for that route, rather than a discounted one. JUne is pretty much high season now, I don't think you'll get it lower for seasonal reasons. I'd wait myself.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 12:34 PM
jay

that fare seems a little high. generally a fare to paris would be about $600. the date that prices go up are generally june 15th. that is what i was told by an airline person. try adjusting the dates to reflect that date.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 12:40 PM
jay

i just found a 680 fare on economy travel.com (all one word). it was on u.s. air.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 12:41 PM
JonJon

I agree with Jay..use Expedia or similar and input June dates to see what the fares are. The fare will always depend on the amount of competition an airline has on a route...suspect United may be routing you from MCI through ORD?
I'd wait a little as well.

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 12:43 PM

It may be decent for that time, but it is not a bargain. I've paid that or higher, but I've paid a lot less, but usually for flights earlier in the spring. There are no guaranties, but personally I'd wait until early next year (to buy) when there are typically airline "deals" publicized for dates throughout the spring and into the summer. Also, make sure the $700 includes all taxes, etc. Consolidators hide a lot of things in the taxes, etc., and have add-ons for certain airports, all of which can add up to hundreds of dollars more.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 12:46 PM
JonJon

Whooooa! I just took my own advice and used both Expedia and Travelocity for various dates in June...range was anywhere from $1300+ to $1500+
That USAirways fare Jay found looks pretty sweet right now! Good luck.

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 12:48 PM
jay

we just got an efare on northwest for 404 rt including taxes from sea to paris. we just kept checking the fares every day. start now and i am sure you will find something cheap. i agree with bitter on the "extras"
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 12:59 PM

I don't find it true that fares don't go up until June 15th. That is dnot my experience with Paris, and I don't think that's a common pattern nowadays. It used to be they wouldn't go up until after Memorial Day, or the first week in June, but the last few years, I've found they are going up earlier in May. I just wouldn't count on low Spring rates until June 15th.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 01:13 PM

This really is too early for Europe spring/summer fare deals. If there is a special need to get specific dates you should pick a target fare you'll feel OK about paying, say $600 and keep checking. Honest, you shouldn't try to book for June until after the new year, unless you find that target fare. Then, even if you see some lower deals, unless it's on the same airline and you can negotiate a lower price, be happy that you've got your tickets and choose your seat assignment as soon as possible.

With the poor dollar vs the euro, I'll bet travel to Europe will stay down next Spring and the airlines will have to run lots of sales to keep people flying, just as they did this year.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 01:19 PM
JonJon

As a follow-on I would most definitely agree that if the Euro remains as strong as it is a lot of people are going to think twice about traveling to Europe...I just came back from two different trips over within a m,onth of each other and the dollar got weaker and weaker..I went anyway but if reservations fall off the airlines will most assuredly launch sales.

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 01:36 PM

Try AutoEurope airfares and see what they quote..I got a very good fare from them. 860.00 seems high to me even for June.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 02:13 PM
bluestructure

Ive found a 463.00 including taxes, etc... from Baltimore(any Icelandair hub) to Paris for June on Icelandair. There is a promotion right now until jan 31,2004. You get 50% off your flight if you book with your Mastercard. Its for travel thru Dec 31, 2004. You have to book by Jan 31, 2004 thou. Icelandair only flies out of Baltimore, JFK, Boston, Orlando, and Minneapolis. Call 1-800-223-5500, ext 2, prompt 1 for more information and avail dates. or call your travel consultant and refer to code MC03. hope that helps, i found the offer at my bank on a Mastercard promotions board.

Old Dec 11th, 2003, 09:49 AM
MAP
Original Poster

Excellent advice from many of you. I called a consolidator in Baltimore, and he got us a $769 r.t.on United in June....taxes included. (we added on $20 to fly on a weekend.) He said this was quite good, but even at this early date, many days were already booked. We worked it out, and I am happy since we don't have a lot of flexibility, and the flight is from Kansas City and not the East. Thanks again to all.