Please help:::Casa Pairal in Collioure

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 11:15 AM
sha
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help:::Casa Pairal in Collioure

After reading very nice reviews of this hotel in the past we scheduled a couple of nights at this hotel in early September. I just read a recent devestating review on TA. This writer praised the location and nothing else, including customer service and described it as the worst hotel they had used in France. Please let us know of any recent visits you may have experienced at this hotel. Should we change to another hotel? Many thanks for your help.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:08 PM

topping for sha...Peace >-
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, sorry to hear that but my visit was several years ago. Did they change hands? But remember we each bring our own personality to places. I have mentioned places I have stayed through out France and a few would respond with horror stories, and yet at those places they were charming and helpful to us.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 07:37 AM
sha
Original Poster

Cigalechanta: I don't know if Casa Pairal changed hands. The writer described the hotel in reference to a 3 week trip they took this summer.
A small room would be acceptable if it was well appointed and comfortable. Poor customer service is not what anyone wants when travelling in a foreign environment.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 07:41 AM

Wish I could help, but it's been 5-6 years since we stayed there. For what's it's worth (very little) we got excellent service from everyone at the hotel, and the location is indeed fabulous.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 12:30 PM

I was there several years ago, also, and thought it was great. Of course, I don't know what it's like today, but almost any hotel you look up on TA (luxury hotels may be an exception;I rarely read those reviews), there is somebody somewhere who really rips a hotel that most everyone else has raved about. Just my thoughts on it.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 12:54 PM

My husband and I stayed there last summer and found it a good place to stay. We had a small double room, which was quite plain but served our needs. It had a/c, and, in July, that was a necessity. The customer service was acceptable, but nothing that stood out, either good or bad. What was wonderful was the location, and the small swimming pool, which was a great place to relax during the afternoon or evening. And the location was superb. The shared spaces of the hotel are also lush. It was a comfortable hotel in a popular resort area that, for the cost, had elements that made it a special place. I would go back there again, keeping in mind that the moderate price we paid got us a modest, not luxurious, room.
Paule
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 03:21 PM
sha
Original Poster

Thank you. I feel heartened by your replies. We didn't expect luxury at these prices but would like a pleasant experience with the staff and a decent room. I'll post after we return in September.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 03:41 AM

When are you staying there exactly? We have reservations at the end of September and would love to hear how your stay goes. We chose it for the location more than anything.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 12:52 PM
sha
Original Poster

We'll be there the beginning of September. We return on the 14th. I'll try to post a review before you leave.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 02:14 PM

Thought you might like these comments I wrote in my trip report:
----------

Arrival in Collioure was confusing; we lwere headed for Casa Parail, and there were no clear signs where to go. Finally, a policeman directed my husband to a small alley; the entrance to the hotel was right down the alley, but without someone pointing it out, wed never have found it. At last, were settled in; our room (basic double) is tiny, but the hotel is charming and there is a small pool which we laze around in the two days we are there.
Collioure is a busy resort town on the Mediterranean, and who cant love that blue sea? The beautiful light and color, the feel of the air, the water, the sultry smells are the reason to be here. We are on a wonderful cove, with a long arm jutting into the sea. We stroll for a while, first by the Chateau Royal, and then to the other side, where there is a rocky beach and a walk along a barrier. We enjoyed the stroll through the many streets of shops and ateliers.
-----
Paule
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 04:07 PM
sha
Original Poster

Progol: thanks for the heads up on the difficulty of locating this hotel. We'll e-mail the hotel for directions before leaving. I'm glad that it seems that you enjoyed your stay there.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 04:12 AM

I have friends traveling to Barcelona in early november. They have 8 days there before a cruise, will it be too "dead" in Collioure at that time of year to make a journey there worthwhile or does it have charms year round?
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 09:51 AM

Larry J should answer this one; he's a Collioure "regular."
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 08:11 AM
sha
Original Poster

Larry J where are you? k Collioure help needed!