Search

please critique our Amalfi Coast itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2011, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please critique our Amalfi Coast itinerary

Hi there-

We are planning a part of our honeymoon on the Amalfi Coast in early July and have come up with the following itinerary after doing some research. We thought it would be better if we post it here so we can get some views on how we can make this better.

Day 1: We arrive in Rome in the afternoon after which we catch a train to Naples and from there to Sorrento. We presume trains are frequent from Rome and Naples. We hope to arrive in Sorrento by evening. Sorrento is our base for the next 4 days

Day 2: We proceed to Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius..will be it be possible to combine Herculaneum as well? Return to Sorrento

Day 3: Sorrento to Capri, we spend the entire day there

Day 4: We could visit Nerano or other small towns or simply stay back spend the day at Sorrento-please sugges
Day 5: We transfer to Amalfi--is it possible to see Amalfi and Ravello on the same day?

Day 6: visit positano

Day 7: visit minori

We plan to visit venice after this and intend taking the night train from naples and dont mind spending 6 days instead of 7 on the AC but are slightly confused where we should make the cut. Please feel free to respond with your suggestions about how we can make this itinerary better. Thanks.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

would appreciate a response please...
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 03:13 AM

Your plan looks fine. Are you talking about this July? If so you'd better get hotels booked immediately. The only suggestion I would make, and many people would disagree with me, is to just stay in Sorrento the whole time doing day trips to Amalfi, Positano, and Ravello. Personally we really liked Sorrento, especially in the evenings and were glad we spent our entire week (8 nights) there. We did day trips to Amalfi and Positano and Ravello - we took the bus for the Amalfi Coast drive, and also took the boat. Both were interesting and the getting there in this case really is part of the fun. We also did day trips to Capri and Pompeii as you are planning. Here's our trip report = http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rful-weeks.cfm
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 04:25 AM

Nandshah:
What you propose is perfectly doable.You can visit Amalfi and Ravello in one day; but you can also enjoy at least a night in Amalfi.
In case you are interested,this is the link to the report of our trip to the AC in 2009:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...1-to-oct-3.cfm
In any case,please,feel free to ask any question.Enjoy your trip!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 04:51 AM

Your plan looks good. I normally advise people not to do a day trip to Capri because it is so crowded during the middle of the day. Capri is so beautiful and tranquil if you stay there in a hotel a bit off the main square. But in July everything will be pretty crowded so it won't be that different. Try to do some hiking on Capri - get away from the crowds and enjoy the spectacular views.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 05:02 AM

Might be tough to do Pompeii, Herculaneum AND Vesuvius in one day.

Yeah I think I was able to hit Amalfi, Ravello and Positano in one trip on the bus from Sorrento. Of course part of the charm of these towns may be to overnight in one of them but if you're visiting during the day, they're pretty small that you can visit them in a couple of hours each, more if you're having a meal in one of them.

The other thing that is suppose to be popular is hiking between them? I didn't do that but apparently that is an option, which would require more time obviously.

I stayed 2 nights in Capri, was able to cover a lot of ground than in one day trip, because of the constraints of the ferry schedules.
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

many thanks for your responses..we're looking for a hotel in sorrento for under EUR100 a night, any suggestions?
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 02:49 AM

There's one in my trip report - linked above.
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 03:04 AM

At this late date, you are best off taking a look at one of the hotel booking sites so you can see what is available; collecting a lot of names will not do you any good so late in the season when many places are likely to be already booked.

I have used these:

www.venere.com

www.booking.com