Planning Paris for friends who never been -- want them to have great experience

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been to Paris 4 times but am planning a May trip with a friend who has never been (althought she is well traveled) and 2 of her friends who have never been. Ages 33-60. Although i will not take responsibility for the entire trip, I do know my way around and will kind of guide them. I want them to have the best experience so would like opinions on the best area to stay, charming hotels (we would have 2 rooms)probably 3 star quality. I like to try new hotels so would probably not repeat any that I've already stayed. A nice bar/lounge in the lobby (small OK) would be great for a nightcap or before dinner drink (these ladies like their wine). I've always wanted to stay near the Eiffel Tower but think it is rather inconvenient to get to places - several metro changes. The hotels I have looked at include
Relais Bosquet
Hotel Sully St Germain
Best Western Aida Opera
Hotel du Cadran
ke Belmont (near George V - has bar with big screen Tv, good reviews)

I have stayed in the Maris and Bastille and found them good locations with lots of cafes, bakeries, etc. I think Latin quarter would be good also. I will get a consensus on the hotel so I'm not the one getting blamed if they aren't happy!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:21 AM

What's your price range for this hotel? I just wondered because none of the modest 3* hotels I've stayed at have had bars in the lobby where you would want to spend a lot of time. Yeah, a couple had a little one, but nothing that interesting, and in the city it would make more sense to go out to a nearby cafe rather than staying your hotel for that, I think.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:39 AM

I wouldn't let the Métro situation deter you from staying in the VIIe arrondissement, because

a) You can get to anywhere in Paris with one change in the overwhelming majority of cases (I don't know where your "several Métro changes" came from), and

b) City buses will take you anywhere you want to go with the added advantage of not needing to go down in the ground or walk miles to make a connection.

We have stayed at the Derby Eiffel, a three-minute walk from École Militaire Métro. Four minute train ride to Concorde. Nice little lounge/bar in the lobby, and clean, spacious rooms.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Price range probably around $100 per person per night ($200 for the room)
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:26 AM

..for a special treat (and your price range is fine), try Hotel de Lutece on Isle St. Louis. (A family owns this and a nearby hotel..either is fine). I think it will really be a great intro to Paris for your friends.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Ditto to travelbunny's comment...

http://www.paris-hotel-lutece.com/

I like the Ile St Louis area, and I think it would be a very nice area to stay. Also some good restaurants, cafe, shopping, less noise overnight, and easy access to Notre Dame / Left Bank / Right Bank (one bridge to each of them). Several metro lines nearby, you could also walk (bit further) to the RER that links directly to CDG.