Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have I made a mistake booking this Paris Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're having second thoughts about the hotel we've booked as to it's location.
The hotel is Hotel Marisolle Opera located right near the old opera house. The reviews look good & price is right.
Our concern is that this is not a 'neighborhood' tpe of area but a big tourist area instead, with the BIG Stores, etc. I can't seem to find little , cozy places to eat & stroll in that area.
We'll be there for 2 1/2 days & this will be our 4th time in Paris so I don't want to 'do' museums etc. this time.
What I do like about this location is that it's so close to the opera pick up bus stop for a very early departure from CDG.
Any thoughts on area?--should we change locations??
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:06 AM

Actually we had a similar problem a couple of years ago and booked a lovely hotel in Chantilley (sp?) It was a former Rothchild estate and its in a lovely area. It was easy to get to CDG airport and cheaper than any hotel at the airport. You might want to stay there your last night. As for your actual stay in Paris...it is certainly convenient to every place you'd want to go to in Paris.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:25 AM

can't find info on your hotel....where is it?

From your general location, it is not a long Metro ride to St Germain, Latin Quarter, or Marais, where I consider the best for walking, cafe'ing,etc...

If the price is right, I'd not worry too much. My last trip I stayed in the 16th, which is off the tourist track, price was right, had my local cafe...but anothing near my hotel to see...except for Eiffel tower at night.
I had to metro to see anything

In your case, you are quite close to the areas you want to see.

Wake up in the morning, hop on the metro, find your first cafe...and the day is started. And having a hotel in centrla Paris area means you can go home at end of day, drop off any purchases, freshen up, and take metro out to dinner area, without losing too much time.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:32 AM

The Louvre Marsollier Opéra is well-situated. Go here tinyurl.com/35wvvc to get a feel for the neighborhood.

This view will show where you are relative to transport: tinyurl.com/3ybk69

hotellouvremarsollier.com
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:34 AM

I stayed in the area several years ago on Blvd. Haussmann. I really liked it and there are a lot of metro stops to use. Also it's not a far walk to the Madelleine (sp) which has some very pretty streets and good places to eat, plus Maille mustard shop and Laudre and Fauchone isn't far either. I stayed in Montparnasse last trip..totally different vibe but also loved it. It as kind of fun staying in two different areas and next trip I may go to another area...again, for change of scenery and different feel.
Also, if you head east, I think (away from the Grand Magazines, on blvd. Haussman, it becomes blvd. Monmartre and not too far down is Passage Joeffrey..very fun place to shop and walk through. I think for just a couple of days you should try it out.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:27 AM

If you read the reviews on Tripadvisor.com, you will see people mention 'shops with prices for the locals' and 'good bakeries', the quietness of the street and that you can walk to the Louvre and other places...
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:34 AM

I like this area.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:40 AM

I'd stay in that area...

I'd ask the resident Parisians...where ISN'T there a stretch of good little bistros, restaurants, cafes, shops, etc.?

And aren't by law Metro stations to be (I probably am incorrect and ask to be corrected) roughly 500 meters apart.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 11:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Actually, the average distance between metro stations in Paris is 400 meters.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replys.
To SuzieCll, I only ask the question in hopes of getting some rec. of places that the Fodor's group have been to & also hope to find some 'local' places. However, I'm sure your thoughts are right on target.
DHuppy at times has trouble with all the metro steps & am looking for places in the are if needed.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 08:06 AM

I've been there in 2003, and I'll not change the Opera location for anything !!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Sorry, I always tend to leave out something - I meant the regular Fodorites who are living in Paris...
I intended they were our "resident Parisiens"
I am probably one of those "rebels without a clue"...but I enjoy just reading the menus outside and thinking, "yeah that sounds good".
So far, in 5 trips, I was only disappointed 1 time. A stead was tougher than tough. Frites were good though!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 12:58 PM

I understand your concern. Several years ago I moved to Paris, and until I found an apt. my company put me up in an apartment/hotel in this area for a month. I didn't find it to be a very interesting neighborhood in the evenings or on weekends. There are plenty of fast food and chain restaurants and movies, but apart from that it's very much a business-y area that shuts down at night. Sure, you can jump on the metro or a bus, but I think that it's much nicer to be able to have an early coffee or late dinner close to your hotel. I certainly think that you can do better in terms of coziness and local charm. Only you can weigh that against price and convenience. With any luck, you can find a good combination of them all.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Gailc, those were my concerns. And we do arrive on a Sunday afternoon.
Any ideas at this late date for a little charming hotel, in a 'neighborhood' not over 120 e, & on the right bank! We just have a few weeks before we leave to make these adjustments if we choose to.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 01:15 PM

I'm afraid I don't have many suggestions for the Right Bank. The TimHotel Montmartre comes to mind, and I believe the price is right.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Hotel Bastille de Launay..?

www.bastilledelaunay-paris-hotel.com/

www.parisby.com/bastilledelaunay/index.html

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h7...isbastille.htm