Pitlochry/Scotland

Search

Pitlochry/Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pitlochry/Scotland

We will be visiting points North of England next July ( family of 4 w/ 2 girls ages 9 & 14 ). We are thinking of a night in Pitlochry. Anyone been? Have any thoughts about an overnight? Any input is really appreciated.......
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Hi, I stayed in Pitlochry 2 nights doing day trips to Blair and Glamis castles. There's the fish ladder which the girls might like and there's a theatre which put on a good production, although there may not be a play the girls would like to see.

Went in September so there weren't a lot of tourists and we booked a B&B through the TI when we arrived. I enjoyed staying there, it's a charming town, and would recommend it.

adrienne
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 01:28 PM

There is but one place to stay in Pitlochry it is the MOULIN INN nice clean rooms, good food,also a pub and a small brewery next store...with the oldest church & cemetary directly across the street.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 02:09 PM

About 12 years ago, my family and (1 husband, 2 young daughters, 1 mother, and 1 young adult nephew) spent two weeks on a driving trip in Scotland (lower highlands) and the Lakes. After a couple of days in Edinburgh, we wanted a base out in the countryside, and it was kind of a tossup between Pitlochery --and Aberfeldy, which is 10 or so miles away. At that point these were just names on a map, but when we arrived to stay for several days in Aberfeldy and then visited Pitlochery, we were DELIGHTED to be in Aberfeldy. Pitlochery was nice, but more of a tourist city --very busy and shopping-oriented, with lots of souvenir shops--compared to Aberfeldy, which felt to us like the PERFECT Scottish town, something that a movie director would create to represent Scotland. It was peaceful and pretty, and we found a little fish & chips shop near the town square that provided us with the best fish & chips we have had anywhere (we've lived in London and traveled a lot in Britain)! We sat on benches in the town square and ate our diner and it was one of the best meals we had on the trip! So I would definitely recommend Aberfeldy; I cannot remember the name of the hotel we stayed in, but there weren't many to choose among in those days. Also, unless you're a teetotaler, be sure to take the tour or the neerby scotch distillary. Back then there were delightful samples at the end of the tour! Of course, things could have changed in the past decade, but if I were going to that area again, I would surely head for Aberfeldy.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a million Adrienne, bumper03 and nfkura. Invaluable info. I'm curious nfkura - if you check back on this - where you live now? L.