Longing to be back in Scotland...

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longing to be back in Scotland...

I'm sitting at my desk with a cd of bagpipe music playing in the background and every once in awhile I'm sneaking a look at the live web cam at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo, wishing I were there. Lucky for me it's quiet in the office - I work at a university and we're between sessions, so no students on campus - so I can take a moment or two to plan on how soon I can get back to Scotland!

We stayed in Comrie and visited Stirling, Glencoe, Loch Ness & Edinburgh. The drive from Comrie to the Glencoe region was outstanding, the view from the Wallace Monument was breathtaking and the people in all the areas were friendly and helpful! See why I want to go back?
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 12:57 PM

We are going to Scotland from Oct 2 - Oct 11 and would love to know more about your trip. Did you do anything specifically in Stirling, Glencoe, Loch Noss and Edinburgh that you would recommend to others? Where is Comrie located? Thanks!
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Comrie is slap bang in the middle of Scotland about 6 miles east of St Fillan's which is at the east end of Loch Earn.

I, OTOH, am longing for France on Friday
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Hi specter, we were in Scotland for 12 nights in 03' - some things we really enjoyed were:
Edinburgh Castle,(of course), a Murder & Mystery Tour one evening going thru some of the closes in Edinburgh - a lot of fun.
Touring a whisky distillery
Visiting Blair Castle & especially Eilean Donan Castle in its' pretty setting
Stopping in some small quaint villages
Attending a Highland Games was great if one should be happening during your dates
Doing the scenic Jacobite Steam Engine train tour - Leaves from Fort William
Just driving the beautiful countryside-

Have a super trip! And, twina49, I know how you feel about Scotland. When we got home we HAD to play our bagpipe CD also. We definitely have fond memories and would like to get back there someday. We loved the Scots! Now, I am counting the days til we leave next month for Florence/Tuscany.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 03:28 AM

twina, if it's any consolation, the weather is fairly rubbish. Not very warm - c.18 degrees max if we're lucky - and raining at least once most days. I have been getting my winter coat back out periodically.

I am longing to be back in Italy
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Specter: Click on my screen name and check out Part II of my trip report, "Five Pennsylvanians in Wales & Scotland." As I mentioned, the ride from Comrie to Glencoe and over to Loch Ness was wonderful. The Wallace Monument & Stirling Castle were great to tour, especially once you climbed the 240+ steps to the monument! I wish we had spent more time in Edinburgh, but I'm planning on going back in a few years to attend the Tattoo, so I'll linger longer in the city. Invermoriston Falls was beautiful and one of the reasons I enjoyed being on our own rather than part of a tour because if we saw something on the A-Z map that we liked, we'd stop and explore. I liked staying in self-catering rentals, too, especially in a small town such as Comrie because by the end of the week we could walk in the pub and know people by name.

Caroline - We had one day of solid rain out of seven, so we felt pretty lucky.

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:07 AM

I spent my senior year of college at Stirling University. I have wanted to go back ever since. I think I am meeting an old school freind there next summer.
Stirling is great. The little towns around it are so wonderful too. Stirling castle is an obvious must-do.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:35 AM

Oh my goodness, all I've seen of Scotland was 3 nights in Edinburgh earlier this month, and I fell in love.
I added a hotel package which included tickets to the Military Tattoo onto my already-booked trip to London---and all that did was make me want to go back to Edinburgh, and especially, to see more of Scotland. The Tattoo was fabulous, and so were the Scots. As I said in one thread, we had the nicest taxi drivers--all eager to tell us about places to see (usually the north country was the recommendation). In fact, on our last night, we went to a Scottish Night at Prestonfield, and our driver volunteered to come back and pick us up--to see what we thought of our first haggis. And he did--he was at the door when we came out.
I know that Edinburgh can't be typical of Scotland any more than any big city is typical of an entire country, but it was a wonderful preview of what we can expect I think. Though I love London, part of me wishes we'd done the 3 nights in Edinburgh and the rest of our vacation throughout Scotland. But, that's for another time and trip....
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Hi twina49 - I'll definitely review Part II of your trip report. I just took a quick glance and it looks quite extensive. Thanks!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 10:00 AM

Anyone who missed our multi-part Scotland trip report and pix the first time around, you can find it here:

http://www.onelittleworld.com/scotland_1.html

That was a fun trip!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 10:43 AM

It cannot be all that good or else the five million Scots that emigrated since 1950 would not have done so. The reasons they left include racial intolerance. religious intolerance, the weather, slums(Edinburgh has some shockers that the tourists never see)and low salaries.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Almcd: I know what you mean, but unfortunately Shangri La was closed the week I was on vacation, so I was forced to go to Scotland instead....
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:17 PM

I was in Scotland for a week and I wish I could have stayed for a month. I did not get to see or do much, but what I did see was so awesome.

The Highlands were beautiful, but I now long to see them when the heather is in bloom. I did see beautiful feilds of bluebells and rows of rhodadenrons (sp?)along the tiny roads. And that gorse!
I know that it is probably a nasty weed, and full of thorns, but the yellow flowers were pretty. I seem to recall that they smelled like coconut?

On the day that I went to Loch Ness, it was so gorgeous out. Blue sky, and the water was a deep blue too, and the brown ruins of the castle against it were a striking visual, and made for some lovely pictures.

We went for a boat ride in Loch Lommand.
It was nice, but not nearly as lovely as our day at Loch Ness.

I loved the city of Edinburgh! But maybe not how hilly it was. We did so much walking everywhere. The first afternoon that we were there we took a walk down to the Castle and we were lucky enough to see the Edinburgh Postal Band beat the retreat into the castle at sun set. It was so surreal to be there in the first place after dreaming about it for the longest time, and the warm glow of sunset and dark clouds against it only heightened the dream like experience. It honestly brought tears to my eyes a few times.

We did a Secrets of the Royal Mile tour and went through St Giles. We went to a "traditional Scotish evening" , it was a tad touristy, but fun none the less and we met some great people from all over the world. Yes, I tried the hagis. One day while walking around we found a monument to Robert Burns and an old cemetery. We went to Stirling Castle and I was wishing I could have went to Wallace Monument after seeing it in the distance. We did so many things that I thought were great, but my favorite thing was the people we met. They were all friendly and such nice people.

We spent three days in Glascow, and that was okay, but my fondest memeories will ever be of Edinburgh.

I would love to go back to go back there again, and spend more time in the Highlands and Countryside as well.

Now I am longing to be back as well. Thanks for bringing back my fond memories.

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

dsm22: When is the heather in bloom? We kept thinking how magnificent it must look and someone said they thought it didn't bloom until October, but I thought that was a bit late.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:24 AM

If you don't mind the drive -- my favorite place in Scotland is the Isle of Skye. Although the weather can be a little dodgy, on a beautiful day it's an amazing place (and not so bad on the rainy days either).