Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Know an obscure chapel with magnificient art in Italy?

Sep 6th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

I have been reading up on Caravaggio and some of his most interesting works are in these obscure places, such as Galleria Doria Pamphilj and the Contarelli Chapel of San Luigi dei Framcesci.

Have any of you been to see your favorite art in an obscure place such as these? I really would like to, so I'll try to find them.
Sep 7th, 2003, 08:41 AM

Ms Natalia:It is your lucky day,I signed on to this site to answer you.These places are far from obscure,these are some of the finest churches and palazzos in the world. Reading what? Start with Catherine Puglisi and John Spike. Rutgers,Harvard,got it? Toss the Foders,Frommers, and Rick Steves; the bottom of the guide book pile. That is why you may be having trouble finding these paintings. Get beyond saving $10 on a hotel or where to have ice cream.Buy the Blue Guide Rome. Today.The best,the only? There are 22+ items to view in Rome. I have seen all but 4. You are off to a good start,San Luigi has something that is going to shock you. You have descended the Spanish Steps for the last time and found it. Very good indeed.Respond.Thank you.
Sep 7th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Now you have gotten me all excited in anticipation! It is my lucky day, I am so glad you responded. I said those places were obscure because you do not read about them often in guide books on even here on Fodors, like you say.
Now I will show you my ignorance, sigh, when you say the Blue Guide Rome, I don't think I have ever seen one in a book store. I did buy the Michelin "La Guida Rossa" for restaurants in Italy, is the Blue Guide by Michelin too?

I will do a Google on Puglisi and Spike, thank you so much, this will really add to my Roman Holiday. You
have opened up a new world of ideas for me.
Sep 7th, 2003, 09:48 AM

I warmly suggest to visit SANTA MARIA DEL POPOLO, a church which is to be found in Piazza del Popolo (FLAMINIO subway stop)). Actually in this piazza there are 3 churches, the two twin ones and this one which I am talking about (S. Maria del Popolo) and which in my opinion treasures two of the most incredible paintings by Caravaggio: Conversione di San Paolo and Crocefissione di San Pietro. They are in the far left side of the church and they are magnificient because one of the characteristic of these paintings is the vividness (the details of the saints dirty feet are awesome). In the church there are frescoes by Pinturicchio and the Chigi chapel painted by Raphael. There are some sculptures by Bernini too. So it is a real tresure chest.
Sep 7th, 2003, 11:09 AM

Michaelangelo's "Moses" is in St. Peter in Chains in Rome. If you have read the Agony and the Ecstacy (sp?) the novel about his life, you will know that he spent most of his time on earth trying to finish that sculpture. The church is not too far from the Colliseum and the Forum. It is a great setting to see the work, where he intended it and not in a museum. The church also has if I remember it right the actual chains of St. Peter, other great relics and these amazing if morbid paintings of skeletons in an aisle on the perimeter. Have fun finding it.
Sep 7th, 2003, 11:18 AM
rex

If I were more knowledgeable about Renaiisance Italian art, I would go back to Orvinio (not to be confused with Orvieto) where there are two little churches with 400 year old frescoes that have had no modern-era conservation or restoration.

In Rieti. The people know they are sitting on something special, but don't currently have the resources to do anything about it. Essentially no tourism (which made it like finding Tuscany - - "pre-discovery").

Best wishes,

Rex
Sep 7th, 2003, 01:57 PM

Ms.Natalia: There are no bookstores for this,at least in Ohio.Amazon.com has all you need or go to the fine arts library at any good college.The Blue Guide Rome means just that. There are hundreds of fantastic restaurants in Rome,as common as traffic lights. Do you realize what you are on to here? Find the Caravaggio works;find the Bernini statues;connect the dots.Walk and taxi between. You will see things in these buildings and along the way that the average visitor does not see in their dreams.The person above was kind to point out Maria del Popolo,packed with art,right on the prettiest piazza of all. So there go you,up the Pinco overlook,cross ze park,Villa Borghese,S.Maria Vittoria,Palazzo Barberini,S.Carlo,S.Andrea,dot,dot,dot.Ican do up a list of artworks if you like. I list, you find,you have best time of your life. It is better if you do your own research,it is your adventure.Be careful what you read, you have been posted a couple of copied from guidebook gems already.
Sep 7th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate all the suggestions from all of you.
I will make it my discovery adventure but if you want to give me some more for an adventure list, I am running out of time for ordering the book before this trip, so would appreciate it.
Thanks again.