Picturesque overnight outside Frankfurt

Jan 27th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Picturesque overnight outside Frankfurt

We will be wrapping up our Europe trip by flying out of Frankfurt. We're coming in from Prague and want to spend our final night outside of Frankfurt and NOT at an airport hotel. Any suggestions that might be within an hour or two of Frankfurt airport by train, but picturesque. Someone suggested Marburg. I'm not sure if that's on the rail line from Prague. ALL SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED!!!
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:12 AM

I suggest Mainz, which is on a direct train line from the airport terminal. Mainz has a very nice old town square, is on the Rhein, and has numerous nice restaurants.

Check hotel sites for your budget of a hotel --- and location (on or near the old town square or overlooking the Rhein).

The Frankfurt airport is actually located right between Frankfurt and Mainz, so you are not going out of your way. I always stay in Mainz when I'm flying out of FRA.
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:34 AM

You might want to look at Bad Homburg or Königstein. They are up in the Taunus mountains and quite pretty. Also easily accessable to Frankfurt with the S-bahns.
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:38 AM

I'd also suggest Mainz for the reasons mentioned.
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Another vote for Mainz.

It is about 20 mins from the airport by direct train (to the airport). Beautiful river views, nice pedestrian district, good restaurants.
Jan 27th, 2009, 12:37 PM

Mainz is indeed the closest and easiest with direct, quick and frequent connections, and IMHO a very good option.
If you come from Prague, Mainz is beyond the airport. If you absolutely want a place on the rail line from Prague, there are Würzburg and Aschaffenburg. From both you are facing an hour, from Würzburg a bit more, of travel time to reach the airport.

Marburg is lovely but it is a detour north of Frankfurt. Trains from Frankfurt central station to Marburg take one hour each way. Add time to change onto the S-Bahn and another 15 minutes for the ride to the airport. If you have to be at the airport early in the morning, this will be a lot of travel.

That makes another vote for Mainz.
Jan 27th, 2009, 02:47 PM

You could also consider staying at the Crowne Plaza (a quite nice hotel) in Heidelberg. Lufthansa runs a shuttle (nice bus/or van) directly from the hotel to Frankfurt airport (costs about 20 euros one way and you do not have to be booked on a Lufthansa flight). You need to reserve seats on the shuttle at least 3 days in advance, it's a popular service.
The CP hotel is centrally located in Heidelberg, easy to see the old town from there.
Jan 27th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Ok. Mainz it is! Thank you all for your helpful insight. Now what do you recommend for accommodations for my wife and me. This will be the last night of our 25th anniversary vacation, so it should be nice. My wife likes B and B's and quaint inns.
Jan 27th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Even though you decided an hour ago I would select Aschaffenburg. I'm partial because I lived there about 20 years ago. It is a pleasant untouristy city.

Hotel Aschaffenburger Hof is only a block from the train station. It is a very nice business class reasonably priced hotel. See http://tinyurl.com/2b83wa. The Schloss dominates the city and offers a great view over the Main River, and has a traditional cellar restraunt.

Aschaffenburg is on the rail route from Prague before you get to Frankfurt. I suggest a taxi from the Aschafenburger Hof to the airport rather than going into Frankfurt station and making a connection to the airport.

Jan 27th, 2009, 07:26 PM

bookmark
Jan 28th, 2009, 12:47 AM

For a truly moving experience do not miss Marc Chagall's blue on blue stained glass windows at the St Stephen's church there.
Jan 28th, 2009, 09:56 AM

I told my dentist and his lady friend about the Chagall windows, when they took a Rhein cruise a couple years ago.

When they got back from Europe they told me, that they were the only ones on the boat, who went to see the windows. They said that by the end of dinner that evening, everyone at their table was green with envy.

Yes, you must, must, must see the Chagall windows. Most people don't realize, that Chagall did this project off the beaten path in Mainz. A friend from Mainz took me there years ago, and I have been grateful ever since.

As for a hotel in Mainz, I have always stayed at Hof Ehrenfels. I've read where some people have had a bad stay there (in reviews), but I've always been very happy there. It's moderately-priced, well located near the old town square, and it has a good restaurant, too.