One Day in Frankfurt

Jun 3rd, 2007, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

One Day in Frankfurt

My wife and I have to fly through Frankfurt to get home from Spain using our miles, so we decided to lay over for 24 hours to check the place out. The two people I know who have been there basically said we should just spend our day/evening in a bar. I figured I'd see what some others thought. We don't want to rush around too much and probably won't get a car. Any recommendations on where to go/eat/drink? Also, any thoughts on staying in the city vs. an airport hotel (not sure where the airport is relative to the action). Sorry to be so vague... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Jun 3rd, 2007, 01:23 PM

I am a big advocate for staying in Mainz (on the S-bahn to the airport) instead of Frankfurt. Others suggest Wiesbaden which is a nice older spa town, also very convenient.
If you search on the forum you'll come up with a lot of information about both.

In brief, I vote for Mainz because of the beautiful Romanesque cathedral, pleasant Altstadt town, Gutenberg museum, St. Stephan's church with Chagall windows.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 01:46 PM

LHW.COM, Schlosshotel Kronberg, about a 15-20 min drive to the airport. A really nice place to spend the last night, great breakfast.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 01:57 PM

Yes, what Vttraveler said.

When I had an 8 hr layover in Frankfurt, I took the train to Mainz, walked to the old city, browsed the shops, had lunch at a cafe, went to the Gutenberg museum...

I'm glad I went on the Fodorites recommendation to do that

Bloom
Jun 5th, 2007, 02:52 AM

Bloom--if you are still checking--I think I was one of the people who suggested trying Mainz for your layover, so I am glad it turned out well for you. I decided to stay there overnight before flying out of Frankfurt because I had seen the cathedrals at Speyer and Worms and wanted to see the one at Mainz, too. I enjoyed the rest of the city much more than I expected and found it a lot more charming than Frankfurt.
Jun 5th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Yes Vt- I'm sorry for not acknowledging you by name. Thanks to you, (and others, like Quokka and Russ), I was able to make the best of my layover in Frankfurt by spending the day in Mainz. I'm very glad you suggested it. Thanks again

Bloom
Jun 5th, 2007, 07:27 AM

I stopover in Frankfurt frequently, and usually eat at Adolf Wagner (very touristy), but food is great (as is the apple wine) and nice atmosphere (one of the few historic places left in Frankfurt). Its a short walk from one of the U-Bahn stations.
Jun 5th, 2007, 07:36 AM

If you decide to stay in Frankfurt, check out the InterCity Hotel. It is right at the main train station (across a very small street). If you ask, they will give you a ticket for free transportation on the trams and on the train to the airport for your flight home.

I have not really been a tourist in Frankfurt so cannot suggest anything to see, but I do like the walking/shopping street (I forget the name). It is lined with outdoor cafes and shops. The old opera house is nice.
Jun 5th, 2007, 11:12 AM
yk

I recently was in Frankfurt and got the Frankfurt Marriott via Priceline for $77 all-in (it was a Saturday). The Marriott is a few tram stops from the Hauptbanhof.

You don't need to stay at the airport hotel as it's only a 20min ride on the train from Hauptbanhof to the airport.

If you stay in Frankfurt, go check out Romer and swing by the Städel art museum.