Pensione Accademia or La Calcina?

Jun 3rd, 2003, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Pensione Accademia or La Calcina?

Tryting to decide between these 2 accomodations in Venice. Looking for someplace quaint and quiet with a decent room.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks,
Annie
Jun 3rd, 2003, 02:37 PM

We stayed at Pensione Accademia in 2001. It was quiet, the staff was nice, the price was right and they have a nice garden in back for coffee, vino or a Bellini. I tried to book it for September this year, but they were already full, so we're trying the Hotel Ala, which has garnered some nice reviews, too. I think Pensione Accademia is a great choice for what you're looking for.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 02:56 PM

I only know about Pensione La Calcina; I've stayed there twice. It is a perfectly lovely hotel, much more than just 'decent'.

I like the location on the Guidecca canal a bit out of the hubbub, but still easy walking distance to San Marcos, close to a vaporetto stop, etc.

Well run, nice atmosphere and staff, good breakfast included in the room price.

I'm not sure when your trip is, but these are both very popular hotels. I'd snag a reservation at either one of them a.s.a.p.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 02:57 PM

Whichever one will guarantee a canal view. They're both very nice. I think the breakfast at the Accademia (where I stayed)is a bit better (includes eggs & bacon or ham) based on what's been posted here. I'd still go for the view. La Calcina (which I only saw from the outside) is a bit further away from San Marco but right near the Alilaguna stop from the airport if you're flying in.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:31 PM

We've stayed at the Accademia and can definitely recommend it. Our room had four windows with a canal view (if you caount the bathroom). Staff and breakfast were great.
Jun 4th, 2003, 08:23 AM

I think the Accademia has a more convenient location, but that's a personal call.
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:28 AM

We stayed at Accademia last summer and loved it. We were a party of 5 and stayed in the garden apartment. It was wonderful. It is also a bit out of the conjested, touristy areas, but still close enough to walk.
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:57 AM
GAC

La Calcina is less expensive and nearly as good as Accademia. Either would be fine. If you like canal views, try to book a canal view at La Calcina, from whose windows you can admire the Giudecca Canal and particularly the Church of the Redentore. The Accademia is at the end of a dead-end calle, and is therefore much more private and set apart. I would say that the Accademia is more princely, while La Calcina might appeal more to artists and writers (e.g. John Ruskin).
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:20 PM

I've only stayed at the Accademia. The canal views from the room were nice, but the room itself (especially the bathroom) was down at the heels. Don't look for anything too spiffy - just functional - and tiny.
Jun 8th, 2003, 07:15 AM

Stayed at La Calcina last week for 4 nights. The first 3 nights were in room 33 ($170), with a beautiful view of the large Giudecca Canal. The incredible boat life enthralled us -- but it was surprisingly noisy with all those boats going by. We did keep the windows open all night (could have closed them and turned on the air conditioning if the noise had really bothered us). Booked months in advance for that room, by the way. The 4th night, which we booked 2 days before we arrived, we were in room 38 ($148), which had a more restricted view (just a slice of the Guidecca, the side canal, and the pedestrian bridge) but the fabulous addition of a lovely balcony with a table and chairs to while away the evening at. Much quieter because it's in the back of the hotel. An extra bonus at the hotel is access (by reservation) to a private rooftop terrace with chaise lounges, table and chairs, and a stunning view of the Giudecca. What a treat! Rooms are simply furnished but more than adequate. We loved La Calcina and will return.
Jun 8th, 2003, 10:12 AM

We stayed at the Accademia based on the reviews here and have to agree it is a very nice place. Our first room -(standard room) was on a corner of the building, up a flight and looked over the small canal that feeds into the Grand Canal, and we could also see a small slice of the Grand Canal. We were also looking at the back of a building that was a bit more run down and was being worked on (11/2001). This room was very plain (no decorator had ever touched this room) and pretty small but was clean. We did get a weird sewer gas smell from the floor drain in that bathroom, but pouring a glass of water in it evey once in a while helped. Our second room there was a deluxe on the ground floor looking over the garden(was it called Louise or something?) Bigger, nicer room, a much bigger bathroom, better furniture and a small second room with one twin bed in it. I personally thought the upgrade was worth it. To be truthful, the canal view turned out not to be that much of a selling point to me. Just meandering through Venice surrounded by canals all day and night makes it a bit less necessary in a room view, IMHO.

Search this Thread