Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel San Carlo (rome) Hotel La Calcina (Venice)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, any infor on these two hotels? Willing to spend 150 - 200 a night - want something nice, clean, bathroom "ensuite" close to attractions. Thanks!!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 08:40 AM

Hi Sophie,
I've recommended the San Carlo several times on this board, and have stayed there twice this year. The location, near the Spanish Steps, via del Corso, and the Metro is utterly unbeatable! I found service to be friendly and warm. My rooms both times were immaculately clean, and very nice. Both had ensuite bathrooms with a full bath tub and shower, and also both bathrooms had blowdryers. Each room has its own telephone, and a frigobar stocked with acqua minerale, for which you (at least I wasn't!) are not charged. Breakfast is included in the rate. If you're going while the weather is still more or less warm, you can have breakfast on a lovely outdoor terrace; if it's colder, the breakfast room is, frankly, too small to adequately accomodate the clientele of the hotel, but they'll gladly deliver breakfast to your room at no additional charge.

Sorry that I've no info or experience on your Venice query.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 08:45 AM

Don't know Rome. La Calcina has many fans on this board. If you type La Calcina AND Venice in the text search you'll see lots of threads. It's on the Guidecca Canal & many rooms have a water view. It's also convenient if you're coming from the airport. The alilaguna water bus to/from the airport makes a stop at Zattere which is just near the hotel. It's about a 15-20 minute walk from San Marco & in a quieter area than staying close to San Marco. If you want to be closer to San Marco, have a look at the hotel Ala as one option.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 11:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've stayed at Pensione La Calcina twice and just love it. It is everything you asked for. But has gotten very popular lately, so I'd reserve a.s.a.p.

Depending on the season might need the upper end of your price range to snag a canal view (Guidecca) room if one's available. The rooms are very pretty, sweet decor and ambience. Easy arrival from the train station via vaporetto. Good breakfast included in room price and served either in the small dining room off the lobby or on the terrace/dock over the canal. There's a beautiful rooftop terrace (shush, this is a secret!) that you can reserve without charge.

A tiny bit off the beaten path in a great area but still very close for walking to everything central.
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 08:39 AM

Would someone please tell me the difference between a standard and superior room?

Randy