Paris with the kids

Mar 30th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Paris with the kids

My wife and are taking our 18yr. old daughter and our 6yr. old grandaughter to Paris for 2wks. We are planning two days of Disneyland and 4-5 days for the major attractions. Any suggestions for fun day trips with the kids in mind ?
Mar 31st, 2007, 02:28 AM
ira

Hi C,

With or without car?

Just daytrips from Paris or overnights elsewhere?

Mar 31st, 2007, 05:11 AM

My daughter turned 6 last year in Paris and we were there for two weeks at the beginning of our multi-year RTW trip last fall. We had a blast and I am sure you will to! Lucky girls!

We did not bother with Disney as we live in Cal. so have seen the original one plenty , so I can not answer that part. ( We didn't even tell our 6yo that there was one there)

I highly recommend Giverny and Monets house and gardens for a day trip. There are several great books about it that girls of that age love and adds to their enjoyment.

Get "Storybook Travels" which has some great ideas for kids itineraries based on children's literature. We found that kind of thing really adds to the trip for someone this age.

You might get some ideas from that section of our blog
http://www.soultravelers3.com/

The park in Bois de Bologne is wonderful for kids and take the petite tren there.It was all French families and us there on my child's birthday...lovely. Lots of great parks in Paris.

Don't forget to stop at Angelina's for some yummie hot chocolate ( like Linnea did).

Paris ( & Giverny) two week entries start:
http://www.soultravelers3.com/blog/9...BA952F9CE.html

Hope that helps a little.Have a wonderful time!!
Mar 31st, 2007, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Ira,

Good question. My husband and I are discussing a trip to Deauville so that he can play golf at Hotel du Golf Barriere. We were thinking of spending three nights there, then go back to Paris. I would like to take the train but would it be easier to rent a car or hire a private driver? This is a last minute trip and I am worried that I don't have enough time to reserve anything. If we hire a private driver, would you be able to recommend someone?

WTnow, Thank you for all the recommendation. I am sending my husband to Borders to get "Storybook Travels." Thank you for putting me at ease, I was worried about taking a six year old to Paris.

I am not excited about Disneyland myself but we promised Eliana. I can't wait to take her to Angelina's for some hot chocolate. I am a bad grandma because I give her chocolates when she is with us. A no, no with her mom.
Mar 31st, 2007, 07:37 AM

I wish all grandmas were this bad! Taking the granddaughter for two weeks to Paris! You are great!

Apr 7th, 2007, 04:03 AM

The cordogon ( sp) take your kids to Paris is a great guide for kids as well as the book take your kids to Europe, so check those out too.

I agree...all grandma's should be so bad. It is wonderful traveling with 3 generations ( we just did it here in Spain) and you will have memories that you will always cherish.

Make a photo book afterwards and a calander for next year to keep those memories coming. Have her take a camera and collect her own photos for a scrap book. ( My child has the barbie digitial camera and she looooves it).

There are a couple of great educational shops near the lourve in the mall there for great gifts to take back that will add to the memories and educational experiences.

If you go on certain off days ( I have forgotten now what day that was but perhaps I have it on the blog), you can make a fast trip into the Louvre for the Mona Lisa and highlights.

We bought a little tiny mona notebook and hardly anyone was there in the late afternoon when we were there. My 6 yo took copious notes and loved seeing the mona lisa.

There are some nice picture books about art like Katie meets Mona Lisa etc that help make it more personal for them. Mine loves finding pictures in museums that she knows from books.

There are so many great kids books on Paris that will help before and after. There is a fun coloring book with french words.

Keep this great experience a live long after you return!!
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Well - I hardly think an 18 year old will have the same interests as a 6 year old. Perhaps divide up into pairs - so someone can do some running around stuff with the 6 year old and the other adults can see what they want.

Are you sure you really want to spend 2 whole days at Disney rather than in Paris - I would think one day would cover everything.

For day trips: Versailles, Chartres, Giverney - or if you want to spend a couple of days in the country, rent a car and spend a couple of days in a private chateay in the Loire. Many are family friendly - with large grounds and activites for the child.
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:57 AM

..would limit Disney to 1 day. My eldest liked Asterix Park but he grew up on Asterix books (he had no English except at home until he was 9). With the age split, they might like Chantilly...stables lovely garden and a lot of history....4- 5days in Paris is not a lot..great things for the kids IMO..that are under the tourist rader.
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:16 AM

maybe there is time to introduce them to Asterix. We bought the books and read them in advance of the trip and then went to Parc Asterix. They really enjoyed it, got a taste of a French park and recognized the characters they saw there. It was a good day (despite the rain!)

Apr 7th, 2007, 11:29 AM

I don't know if this will be your first trip to Paris, but these are 2 more suggestions of the type that are not the usual things to do, but that our kids have enjoyed.

Provins, the old-town part - a midieval town with a great castle, a middle ages museum, a knight's jousting tournament and a bird of prey exhibit. This isn't one of the most well-known day trips apparently, but I came across it while researching our trip last summer and we all enjoyed it, from the 12 year olds, to the 17 year old to the adults.

http://www.gayot.com/travel/france/provins.html

My son had previously spent 2 weeks with a French family and they took him to Provins for a day. He had talked about it without remembering the name and was happy when we ended up there again.

Another daytrip we like that could be done from Paris is hiking the forest around Fountainebleau Chateau. There are many trails marked by difficulty through the forest and many boulders that the kids loved climbing on.
Apr 7th, 2007, 03:43 PM

I agree with the recommendation about Giverny/Monet's Gardens. We went back in 2001 and I figured my boys (ages 4 and 8 at the time) would be bored out of their minds. But, darn it, it was something I wanted to see my whole life, so I figured they could deal with it. Turns out they really loved it--and even still talk about it from time to time!
Apr 7th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Your granddaughter will certainly love this. From an earlier post I made...

Go to Cirque de Paris. It will take an entire day but it is well worth it. Your day will be split into thirds. For the first part, your kids (and you somewhat) will learn how to do circus acts like tightrope walking and trapeze. Clown makeup, juggling, and balancing are also taught. Adults get into the action too. I was the base of a human (adult) standing pyramid and also served as the base for kids doing handstands on my hands. My wife did the trapeze.

The second part is lunch (a really nice several course lunch) and "light carnival" stuff. There is a carousel and a tightrope and a few museums to go through.

The last part is where the people who taught you in the morning put on a show. It was great and although it didn't have lions and tigers, it did have aligators and snakes

Here are the logistics:
Parc des Chanteraines
115 bd. Charles-de-Gaulle,
Villeneuve-la-Garenne, France
Phone: 01-47-99-40-40
(Métro: Porte de Clignancourt, then Bus 137)