Paris with kids - some ideas

May 8th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Paris with kids - some ideas

I read an article in local paper of a mother and family that went to Paris and their 10 tops things she did with their children. Some were new to me, hopefully good info for others...

Hotel: Residences Pierre et Vacances, 14 rue du Theatre 15ieme, 3-star. Apartment hotel with heated pool and views from kitchen over Paris, 375 rooms. Location is about block from Seine, nearest Metro Charles Michels on Line 10.

I also found it listed as Adagio City Aparthotel.

Her top 10 items were:
1. Bateaux Mouches
www.bateauxmouches.com

2. Trocadero Aquarium (new to me). Sharks, sea urchins,etc.. and a petting pool.
www.cineaqua.com

3. Lunch at Chez Clement
"Decor was smorgasbord of cooking utensils hammered into whimsical furnishings, plus brightly coloured Provencal linens. "Children's menu -ice cream for desert and a yo-yo for well behaved". Near ferris wheel at Place Concorde (I'm assuming this is the one on Blvd des Capucines).
www.chezclement.com

4. Jardin des Tuileries
"Classical statuary...makes way for a veritable outdoor gym - complete with trampolines submerged into the ground.." Metro Concorde

5. The Doll Museum.
300 dolls from 1850 to the present, showing influence of being in the world's fashion capitol.
www.museedelapoupeeparis.com

6. Stravinsky Fountain.
Located near Pompidou, "extravagantly designed mechanical fountain...allows kids to let off steam while running around inventive work of art" Metro Rambuteau

7. The Magic Museum.
"Subterranean warren of rooms in Marais, housed in cellar of formed royal Palcace (said to be den of debauchery of Marquis de Sade ) traces history of modern magic as pioneered by Houdin ( Houdini named himself after him). Daily magic shows that unfold alongside carnival artifacts."
www.museedelamagie.com

8. Science City

"Futuristic behemoth...site of one of worlds largest science museums. Explore enormous geodesic dome, a real submarine, and two sprawling indoor discovery centres takes better part of a day".
www.cite-sciences.fr

9. The Grand Rex
"Art deco temple to cinema. A 50 minute interactive behind-the-scene spectacle (in English)whisks wide-eyed participants into a refurbished projection booth and sound set for face-to-face encounters with King Kong"
www.legrandrex.com

10. Louvre
Tough for kids, but "they have Paris Muse Clues, who lead a 2-hour family friendly treasure hunt for hidden symbols in stellar paintings"
www.louvre.fr

Hope this helsp some forthcoming travellers

Mike
May 8th, 2008, 09:03 AM

Thank you - bookmarking.
May 8th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Thank you as my daughter (15) and I will spend a few days in Paris before meeting up with family in Venice.
May 8th, 2008, 10:28 AM

We are considering taking our daughter (will be 5 then) to Paris next year. I found the book "Paris With Kids", 2nd edition, on Amazon.com and find it rather useful. I also suggest going to yahoo and typing in "paris with kids" - guarantee you will find some valuable resources!
May 8th, 2008, 10:41 AM

It is always good to have more ideas for Paris, but these would not make our top ten.

We spent 2 weeks and my daughters 6th birthday in Paris and had a blast. There are tons of great places for kids and many great kids books that can enrich the visit before and afterwards.

The Louvre tough for kids??? Hmm, that was not our experience at all. My daughter loved seeing the Mona Lisa close up and all the museums that we saw in Paris.

It would be a shame to miss them.Of course, a family does not spend the same time in them as a single adult, but they can all be great experiences for kids.

I think the museums and great children's literature based itineraries can be the highlight for kids and do not miss Shakespeare and Company ( near Notre Dame). An enchanting bookshop with a rich history.

You can look to our blog for some more fun kids ideas for Paris:

http://www.soultravelers3.com/soultravelers3.html
May 8th, 2008, 10:47 AM

Thanks for posting. My wife and I are taking our 4 year-old daughter to Paris in November 2008. Alaways looking for good things to keep her entertained.

We won't be going to Disneyland Paris as we live about 15 minutes away from Disney World in Orlando.
May 8th, 2008, 11:13 AM

My kids loved anything they could climb to the top of and look out of-the top of Notre Dame, the top of the Arche de Triomphe, the top of Sacre Couer, the top of the Eifel Tower. They nevef once complained about the steps.

If you take them to the Louvre, I recommend two things:

1.Get there close to opening and go right to see Mona. We did that-it wasn't even right when they opened, but maybe 20 minutes later-and were in the room with her by ourselves!

2. Use the walking tour from Rick Steves Paris book. It hits the high points, doesn't take a real long time and is amusing.

A lot of kids go through a love of all things Egyptian stage. If your kid is into Egypt, by all means go to that section of the Louvre. It is amazing.

Outside of the Louvre is the Tuilleries. It has trampolines and a playground with cool playground equipment.

Kids tend to like modern art. Try the Picasso museum. It's not terribly large. We made a game of looking at the painting, trying to guess what it was, and then looking at the title.

Nearby is the Pompidiu (sp) - more modern art in a crazy building. Very near that is Nicholas Flamel's house if you have any Harry Potter fans.
May 21st, 2008, 07:34 AM

Thank you! Bookmarking for future trip!
May 21st, 2008, 07:55 AM

Thank you Michel. Bookmarking