Tulips in Amsterdam

May 20th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Tulips in Amsterdam

Just landed in Amsterdam, unfortunately Keukenhof is closed day before yesterday!! I really wanted to see the tulip gardens, any other means to do the same?Cant believe I am late by 2 days!
May 20th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Also I am in Amsterdam for the next 10 days, can anyone pls advise on what are the one day trips that one can do frm here? I am a nature lover and do not like history/architecture etc. Would love to visit some mountins/beaches.
May 20th, 2008, 10:29 AM

I think you went to the wrong place to find "mountains", lol.

You can see some tulips around Amsterdam, usually off Leidseplein (small garden) and around Vondelpark. I haven't visited in mid-late May, so I don't know when they till them up and plant something else.

You can take the train to the beach areas, I think Zaandvoort is one possibility.

You can rent a bicycle and ride out into the country, see farmland, small canals, birds, a windmill now and then...
May 20th, 2008, 10:38 AM

The highest mountains in the Netherlands are probably in A-dam's red light district!

They'll undoubtedly be selling tulips at the flower market in A-dam, too.
May 20th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Tulip season is more or less over. They are spring flowers. End of May is rather late for them. I don't think you'll be able to see any fields in bloom.
May 20th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Tulips are absolutely over...this is mother nature!
Maybe you see some on flowermarket that have been grown special for that.
Keukenhof is open from Mid March till Mid May every year.

Beaches are all along the coast of Northsea. From Amsterdam e.g. Zandvoort is easy to reach. From The Hague go to Scheveningen.
May 20th, 2008, 11:16 AM

We just returned last Thursday after 6 days in Haarlem. We passed many tulip fields and most were bare or almost so. Too bad about Keukenhof. We were there May 9th and mostly everything was still in bloom. It is hard to believe that it is all done just a week later.

We stayed in Haarlem (just 15 minutes from Amsterdam) at Stempels Hotel and much preferred it to Amsterdam, but that's us. It is a lovely place. Visit on a Saturday for the market. Day trips to Delft and Utrecht were a treat.

We weren't there, but many people seemed to like the beach at Zandvoort nearby and it could be a place that you would like as well.

The only "mountains" you are likely to see are the bridges over the canals.
May 21st, 2008, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all your replies....will go to some of the places you have mentioned...feeling very foolish for having said mountains in NL....ofcourse will try and go to austria/sweden for more 'landscapes' shall i safely say...
May 21st, 2008, 03:43 AM

Not mountains, but the highest part of Holland is near Maastricht; very nice area to visit, Maastricht is lovely, and the surrounding countryside is beautiful too.

A bit closer would be the Veluwe national park; try a search for that on this forum.
May 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tulips, checked out both, this is exactly what I would love to do....