COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Paris with 3 year old

Old Dec 19th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Paris with 3 year old

Hello all,

My husband and I will be traveling to Paris with our 3-year old at the end of May 2018 and I'm looking for general advice. We are planning to stay for about 7 days and then got to Amsterdam for a few days (4ish). We went to Paris about 5 years ago on our honeymoon and hit all the tourist highlights; we thought this would be a good first international trip with our daughter since we won't feel pressure to see every single sight/monument/museum again. My in-laws will be meeting us there (at the end of a river cruise), so we'll have some extra hands to help with our daughter, as well.

Last time we visited, we rented an apartment, and are planning to do that again. We stayed in the 1st on our last visit, about a block away from the Louvre, but need more space now than we did back then. I planned on renting from the same agency, which had multiple apartments in the same buildings, but they have since gone out of business. Instead, we will likely now just rent two apartments that are relatively close. We need a separate bedroom for our daughter because she still naps during the day and goes to bed around 8pm. I'm open to either a two bedroom or a one bedroom with a sleeper sofa (as long as the living space is a little bigger to accommodate for this). Alternatively, we can try to rent one much larger place for all five of us, though I'm not sure how difficult that would be.

What areas would you consider most family friendly to stay in? I've been looking in the 6th and 7th, but am open to other ideas. I'd like to be close to some kind of park (even just a small one) where we can take my daughter to play in the morning while we wait for everyone to get ready for the day. We also want an area/street that is not too noisy at night, since my daughter goes to bed so early.

Any other tips for travelling in Paris with a young child? Things we should consider that we might not think of? Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 06:17 PM

I love the Luxembourg Park and think it would be a delightful place to spend time with your daughter as it has many different areas. It is located in the 6th arrondissement.
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 10:15 PM

Do a Google Advanced search of this site with the terms "Paris" "Apartment" and you will soon find out that the city of Paris has been cracking down on short-term vacation rentals. The rental owners must have a license or they can be closed down at any time. There are many posts discussing the pros and cons of renting anyway, and hoping the venue is legit. People were asking could someone just "make up" a license number and how would you verify it. I did not see anyone answer that effectively.

One alternative for you is the Hotel Clement. We stayed there last summer. It is in the 6th arr. They have a room for 3 people, where there is the main hotel room, a bathroom and then a smaller room with a twin bed. So you can put your child to bed for the evening and still be up in your room without keeping her awake. It is not as big as an apartment but it was quite nice. There's a fabulous bakery about one block away.
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 10:46 PM

Check out Paris Perfect (https://www.parisperfect.com) to see what they have available. They have some excellent properties, all legal, and in some great locations.
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 11:39 PM

There are restrictions, now in Paris.
There must be 13-digit registration numbers on any apartment rental, which is tied to the property owner's financial information.

If you do not see a 13-digit registration number, it is an illegal apartment. That's all you really need to know.

I'd look for a Citadines with 2 adjoining rooms, if you can afford it.

There's one at Richard Lenoir, by the open-air Bastille market, or another one at Saint-Germain des Pres.
And there's the Residence Henri IV, near the Cluny museum.

All have creative solutions for sleeping arrangements - plus kitchens.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Oh, shoot. I was totally not on top of the news about short-term rental crackdown. I went ahead and checked the hotels mentioned above, but they are either out of our price range (Citadines) or do not have separate rooms available (Clement). I'll go ahead and try to do a more advanced hotel search.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 06:06 AM

The Luxembourg garden has a carousel, a puppet show (le guignol), a playground, a numerous areas to picnic.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 08:20 AM

The Jardin d'Acclimatation is a fabulous place for kids. There is also this:

https://www.parczoologiquedeparis.fr
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 08:30 AM

I would consider the most family friendly arrondissement to be the 19th with several enormous parks -- the Parc de la Villette, the Parc des Buttes Chaumont and the Square du Chapeau Rouge. And of course there is also the Bassin de la Villette and the Canal de l'Ourcq.

There are endless playgrounds, slides, puppet shows (Buttes Chaumont), lakes, ducks, swans, herons and vast grassy areas in all three parks to run around. It is all well served by metro lines 2, 5, 7 and 7b as well as the wonderful tram 3b.

While the Jardin d'Acclimatation is still open, it will be spending most of 2018 being converted by its new owner Louis Vuitton into a steampunk theme park.

At the moment, the municipal electronic signboards throughout the city are displaying warnings to owners of vacation rentals about the need to register them right now or face severe penalties. By the end of May, the situation should be under control -- with far fewer rental properties on the market.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 08:56 AM

If you really want to stay in an apartment, it is not impossible to find one that has been registered and has the number displayed. It will just take a little more work is all.

This one has a registration number.
https://www.vrbo.com/8255206ha?unitId=4311578

I just posted it so you can see how the number is displayed. Not sure the apartment would actually work for you (unless your parents stay somewhere else.)

-While the Jardin d'Acclimatation is still open, it will be spending most of 2018 being converted by its new owner Louis Vuitton into a steampunk theme park.-

WOW! A steampunk theme park?
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 10:51 AM

I think the 6th and 7th would be good, as well as 15th and 14th, or even the 13th in certain areas. I wouldn't really recommend the Jardin d'Acclimation myself given how far out it is.

As for the 19th-20th, those are just huge parks, so I think you just want a more neighborhood pocket park, so to speak, or Luxembourg gardens is okay but that area is NOT the quietest. It really depends on where you stay, though, and situation, as usual. SOme of the streets on the south end are pretty quiet, those most people know about on the north end are not. But you could maybe be a block away on the west side and not be too noisy. Really, taking someone to a park to play while people get ready for the day sounds to me like you only want something right outside your door, otherwise it would be a major expedition and take a lot of time. How much time does it take to get ready for the day, anyway, more than a toddler?

I really like parc Montsouris in the 14th, it is lovely and it is fairly quiet around there. In the 7th, I've been not too far from square St Lambert and square VIolet, which is a lovely small park.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight, all!

Christina, when we recently went to Colorado, my husband would sometimes take our daughter out to the park while I showered and got dressed or vice versa. Since we'll be coordinating outings with our in-laws, we thought it would be nice to be able to take her to play while we (potentially) wait for them to wake up and get ready in the mornings. I think we're also envisioning using the park space for picnic dinners some evenings as well, so something close by would be nice.

The playground at the Luxembourg garden looks great, and I'm sure we'll end up spending some time there.

In researching hotels that have two separate rooms, I've found the following that are in our budget (in a variety of areas). Appreciate any opinions!

1. Hotel Aiglon; 232 Boulevard Raspail - right now this is probably my first choice, since it is affordable and looks very kid-friendly
2. Villa Daubenton; 34 Rue de l'Arbalete
3. Hotel Eiffel Seine; 3 Boulevard de Grenelle
4. Hotel du Palais Bourbon; 49 Rue de Bourgogne
5. Hotel du Sevres; 22 Rue de l'Abbe Gregoire
7. Hotel Excelsior Latin; 20 Rue Cujas
8. Hotel Tourism Avenue; 66 Avenue de la Motte-Picquet