COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Paris--where to find boutiques

Old Feb 18th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Paris--where to find boutiques

I will be in Paris for a few days in May and would like to do some shopping in stores that are moderately priced but more like boutiques. I get overwhelmed in department stores and sometimes do better in smaller towns as there is usually an area that has smaller shops. I might like an outfit, a bag, anything that catches my eye.
Any suggestions as to where I might go?
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 02:13 PM

Pretty much anywhere in the city except along the stretch of Boulevard Haussman where Printemps and Galeries Lafayette are. Paris is overloaded with small boutique-type stores. You'll see them everywhere. I would guess that the biggest concentration of them is in the 6ème and 5ème.
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 02:41 PM

Rue Franc Bourgeois in the Marais.....one after another.
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 03:24 PM

Marais has boutiques galore but never found one
there inexpensive nor in other quartiers.
The dog boutiques are also tres cher, so Pastis
has no gift. I'll keep looking.
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 03:33 PM

I also would not rule out chain stores like La City, Kookai, Morgan, Promod, Camaieu etc. I agree with cigalechanta that many independently owned stores (i.e. boutique) are not cheap, especially in the 5th, 6th and The Marais. That said, the further away you move from the city center/tourist areas the cheaper these and other types of stores are likely to be.
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 03:47 PM

I just received the March issue of Lucky magazine and there is a great City guide section on shopping in Paris by districts. Five pages worth and favorite spots to nosh between shops.
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 01:43 AM

Agree on rue de Francs Bourgeois.

There is also a ton of smallish shops in the area on the Left Bank bounded by rue de Rennes, Blvd St Germain, rue de Sants Peres, and Blvd Raspail, though once you get into the center of Sevres Babylone, it gets expensive fast.

If you like shops, the rue du Bac has all kinds. None of these is going to be really cutting edge or a real bargain since these are all upscale neighborhoods, but there is a lot of nice stuff.
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 04:02 AM

The OP would likely really enjoy shopping the rue d'Alésia in the 14th, especially between the Plaisance and Alésia metro stations. The street is absolutely loaded with "Stock" boutiques, which offer bargain prices on good quality stuff (as well as mediocre prices on so-so merchandise). The Stock shops are similar to factory outlet stores in No America, with the best buys being last year's merchandise.
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 04:36 AM

Well, my plan last trip was to hit rue du Commerce in the 15th (until that nasty virus hit and forced me to hit the bathroom all day Saturday instead). As I understand from others, there are lots of reasonably priced shops to visit there.

http://www.parisiensalon.com/2011/09...sure-in-paris/
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 05:17 AM

Off to pick up Lucky mag - thanks, flpab!
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Some excellent leads! Since I'm staying in the 6th, I'll be able to look around. Will definitely check Lucky and I must say that I think the Rue du Commerce looks like it might be right up my alley.
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 06:41 AM

Rue de Commerce is good and prices are not too bad...lots of shops to choose from, although I did not buy anything my husband found some good bargains. I like Galleries Lafayette for their cosmetics and scarves....they have the cheaper ones outside the store.
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 08:30 AM

Another vote here for the rue de Commerce and rue Mademoiselle. Rue de Convention is also good but busier. The 15th in general is just brill