Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Clothes Shopping: Where would YOU go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 09:37 AM
Brigid

Hi:<BR>I have one afternoon (!) to clothes shop in Paris the week before Christmas (read:crowds). Where should I go? Here's my info to help: I am a 31-yr-old New Yorker, fashionable but not trendy (i.e. I don't shop at Banana Republic), I would like to buy things I can't necessarily get here, I'm on a somewhat limited budget and would like to find some very french, feminine, and practical (work/relax) clothing. I tend to dress like a NY-er now (lots of black and sleek stuff) and would like to change my wardrobe a bit. Thanks for the help!

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 09:49 AM
cdf

To save time-Galleries Lafayette, there are so many boutiques/areas in one store,makes it a little easier,also the handbags that are twice as much in the States are more affordable there*look for Longchamp*<BR>If you have a little time - the area on the Left Bank near rue Dragon, great shoe stores,APC General Store on 4 rue de Fleurus, anywhere off the Blvd St Germain is good-I tend to wander in and out of shops as I go, so it is hard to pinpoint the best...I also got a lot of goodies that you cannot find here(NYer also) in the Marais,they are open on Sundays..just wander there, lots of boutiques,great hats,sweaters,everything I have gotten in Paris, has gotten a lot of compliments here..have fun~C

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 09:59 AM
Wendy

C; do you know if all the department stores are open on Sundays in Paris also?<BR>

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Lori

The department stores are closed on Sundays. The best shopping on Sundays is around the Marais in the 4th. While Galleries Lafayette is a good department store, it does get really really crowded. I personally like Bon Marche in the 6th.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Christina

Dept stores are not open in Paris on Sundays; most boutiques, large stores like that are not, although I've seen more open in malls nowadays but believe me they are nothign special (eg, H&M was open on Bastille Day this year in Les Halles shopping center). If I were you, I'd go to Bon Marche dept store on the Left Bank, I think they have the kind of style you are looking for. It's a difficult question as there are a few good shopping streets with some half-off discount designer duds (supposedly) -- like on rue St Dominique in the 7th or rue Alesia in the 14th, but you can spend a lot of time walking up and down and shopping there. I don't want to disappoint you, but I know people who live in Paris who go to NY to stock up on clothes because things are so expensive in Paris (granted the US dollar is doing pretty good now, so that's not as true as it once was), but I don't think you're going to find anything that unusual there you couldn't get in NY. If I were you, I might look into one of those special shopping guidebooks that exist.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 10:49 AM
cdf

ok-It's me again~I bought a Max Mara jacket,"puffy coat" in GL that has never been in any stores in the US, they only carried it in the better European stores..and it cost less than any jackets in the US MaxMara stores.I never went to Bon Marche, as one big dept store was enough for me, I prefer the smaller boutiques with brand names that are not found in the US/especially NY (that carries every brand known to man! But, if you look around ,GL has names that are not in the US---SO, that is why the Marais is nice, shopping on Sunday in boutiques.Otherwise ,if you have time, the Left Bank boutiques are great and the prices are very good according to the US dollar vs the FF...and one of the pleasures of shopping in Paris for a New Yorker is that since NY has everything from everywhere, I am still able to come home with things that people stop me and ask me where they can find them (and they cannot find them here!)...and Longchamp bags go for about $100-for the little nylon carry on totes in Saks that are about $40-60 in GL..not to mention perfumes :0) ~C

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 11:12 AM
Surlok

Brigid,<BR><BR>I like Zara. It's not a Fench designer ( it's a Spanish brand). but the clothes are chic, and they are well tailored. Fabrics are good, also, and prices are great. There are many Zara stores in Paris, I recall one at Bv. de Champs Elysees. My daughter bought some suits there a few years ago, and they are still in great shape. <BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Kelly

Actually the dept stores have special Sunday openings for the holidays:<BR><BR>Galeries Lafayette is:<BR>Dec 16 & 23 from 10 AM to 7 PM<BR><BR>I would imagine Printemps to be about the same.<BR><BR>Happy Shopping!

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 01:19 PM
SharonG

I was there the week before and during Christmas last year. The stores were open on Sundays. Don't forget Monoprix - France's answer to K-Mart! I got many cute scarves, hats, gloves and sweaters there and really cheap. Plus great make-up.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Barb

I was in Paris for 4 days by myself to shop and basically I lost myself in the district just off and to the left of Notre Dame - I think it was the old Jewish quarter. I found some amazing skirts, silk shirts, boots, scarves and fabulous jewelry at many small stores. I literally just wandered off. Enjoy!

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 02:06 PM
No Name

Most everything can be found in New York. For example, there is a Zara shop in New York - right in front of Bloomies.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 02:53 PM
Surlok

No Name,<BR><BR>Precisely. We do have Zara in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, however, the selection is not quite the same, nor are the prices. Zara would easily send an entire collection to Paris, but overseas is a little more difficult.<BR><BR>I do shop in Zara here in Rio, but I'd rather shop in Zara in Spain or France, for the variety and prices.<BR><BR>Also, since we're already living in the global village ( served by cable TV and the Internet), almost anything as brands or style you find in the States, you'll find in Europe and South America. There was a time when arriving to Paris and window shop was such an adventure, but this time is gone. Now, the windows and what they display there don't differ much from the ones in Brazilian main capitals, or New York, Miami, Chigaco, Seattle or, you name it...<BR><BR>Besides, nowadays, the fashion capitals are Milan and New York, rather than Paris. The glamour of Chanel, Dior, Givenchy, Balmain, Saint Laurent and others "haute couturiers" is gone. Now, Gauthier, Prada, Chanel, Mugler and other design brands and collections are available all over the world at nearly the same time.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 03:06 PM
AGM/Cape Cod

My sister who is a clothes horse (NY Attorney) shops at Mario Dessuti when she is in Paris. I went with her once and got a gorgeous, unusual rust/orange jacket and a navy blue interview suit. Their prices are better than NY for very nice clothes. They are located at 29, rue de Berri 75008 Paris Tel-42 89 21 20. Have fun.<BR>

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 03:56 PM
cdf

I would like to say something here~<BR>it is a pleasure to be reading these posts, nice,helpful,of course it is about shopping, and some of us are world class shoppers I am sure-but it is such a pleasure to read all the advice & recommendations being given without meanness or sarcasm- just people sharing..too bad it has been such a day that I feel that I must remark on how nice everyone is being Maybe because this is a "womans thing"? Anyway-Thanks for a bright spot in a day, ~ Candice

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 06:55 PM
pj

How about reciproque? It is a resale shop in 16 arr. 123 Rue de la Pompe, metro pompe. I have found beautiful designer clothes! Chanel,versace,leger...monsanto bags, beware the sizes are small! So if your patient try on lots of clothes like me you will find a bargain and you favorite threads[no pun intended]

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 07:16 PM
Betsy

If I only had one afternoon, I'd head to GL to maximize exposure to the possibilities in such a short period of time. I'm so envious!

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Betsy

Don't forget to pick up your discount card at the welcome desk of GL on the ground floor--10% off anything you buy. I think they need to look at your passport to verify that you live outside France. Also, if you spend over a certain amount there in one day, you'll be eligible for the VAT refund--another good reason to do all your shopping in one store.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 01:42 AM
Socialbutterfly

Rue d'Alesia (lots of outlet)<BR>Rue Havre Caumartin<BR>That's where I used to go when I lived there.<BR>

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 05:37 AM
Brigid

Thank you all, Ladies! This is most helpful. Reciproc was the place I had heard about and was very interested in, so I thank you for posting that one. I'll let you know how it goes!<BR>Brigid

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Sue

I was in a boutique here in Pgh. looking at a Herve Chapellier bag; fellow shopper told me they are "hot tickets" in Paris, and sell there for 1/2 of what they are in US. Store is on rue du Faubourg St. Honore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -