Search

Paris Welcome?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Welcome?

How are things for travelers in Paris these days? Are Americans made to feel welcome?
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 05:01 PM

1. Great! 2. Yes!

(From our experience this past summer...things couldn't have been better. We loved every moment and are confirmed Francophiles no matter what.)
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 06:29 PM

yes, the President kisses you. I don't know when you've been there that you felt that they did something to make Americans feel unwelcome, but if you thought that before, it will probably be the same now. I haven't noticed any difference over the last couple of years regardless of when I've been there, so if you think that, the behavior will probably be the same.

Don't expect somebody to fawn all over you, you aren't the center of the world.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 06:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I returned two weeks ago and I have never had a better time and welcome.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 07:25 PM

We were there in July and felt very welcome. Everyone was most helpful and friendly to us! A nice touch was going into restaurants and before we could ask, the waiters brought us a menu in English.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 08:26 AM
Vincent

How are things in the States these days ? Are French people made to feel welcome ? Has the francophobe hysteria stopped in the press ? Are Freedom fries a hit ?

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 08:34 AM

Better I think, at least here in Boston. The French restaurants and films are going great business
French Fries Live!!!!
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 08:43 AM

When questions like Jace's are posted, I always wonder what people are thinking. If a French person came to the US we would make them feel as welcome as anyone else. These are individual people. If the government chooses not to follow the US, is that wrong? It depends on who you ask. We don't stone the french, they aren't going to stone us. We'll be friendly and helpful and so are they. We went to Paris in June. The french are known for being rude. Some were a little rude but most were helpful and friendly. Some told us they love Americans. It all depends on how you are to them and how each person takes it. It's not a third world country. Also just because other countries followed us into wars doesn't mean all of their citizens agree. Ok, I'm not ready to vacation in Iraq or Pakistan, but Europe is wonderful.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 08:52 AM

I may be wrong, but I'm not so sure the <i>French</i> have a reputation for being rude. I've always thought that reputation, rightly or wrongly, belongs primarily to Parisians.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 09:10 AM

Right you are Capo but that still is not the real picture. The only rude Paris I encountered was a shop girl and it was my fault for looking at the merchandise. you're supposed to ask not like here where any shop you're allowed to touch.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 09:17 AM

I've always heard &quot;the french&quot;. New Yorkers have the same reputation. My point is not to be so sensative and go with whatever. If someone is rude or nasty to you, it isn't the whole country. Just laugh it off and go with it.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 09:28 AM
AllyPally

I'm reading a really lovely book called Entre Nous about the world of French women. There is a little section about language (I have heard the same about German). Basically, a French person must always THINK AHEAD before speaking. They must judge a person's status and use the correct form of address. It lends a sort of formality to the culture. They are very big on formality. I find this very charming.

I found we were well received in Paris in July. I don't know why but everyone seemed friendlier (not that making friends with my waiter is high on my list of priorities). I know my father was delighted. He was treated very well by the waiters.

Jace, they are not going to spit on you. This is a country which thrives on philosophical discussion and debate. I think they secretly like Americans anyway (it's just not done to show it!)

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 09:56 AM

Christina said: &quot;Don't expect somebody to fawn all over you, you aren't the center of the world.&quot;

I agree. I think some people come back from places like Paris thinking they've been victimized by anti-Americanism when all they've encountered is Parisian indifference to your nationality.