Search

Paris vs. Nice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris vs. Nice

Hello All.

17 Days to split between Paris and The French Riviera and unable to do it equally. Should I allow myself more time in Paris or give the extra day for the South. Hmmmm. Any thoughts? Experiences? Thanks!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
What time of year? You can never see all of Paris, no matter how many times you visit. They are so different that it would be difficult to tell you how much time in Nice.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:52 PM

Without a doubt, I would choose the extra day in Paris! I have been three times, and still it is impossible to see all I want to see.

Nice, eh, it is a lovely resort town full of very rich tourists from around the world. Every restaurant is the same... same menu, same prices, and everywhere you see wealthy people with gleaming white teeth and $500 sunglasses. I was bored there after 2 nights.

So, PARIS!!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 10:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
A city like Marseille on the coast would be much more interesting than Nice. But the Med coast only deserves about 30% of your time if you don't have the possibility of going to the places in Provence back from the coast.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 10:22 PM

So the question is, do you spend all 17 days in Paris or do you see the Riviera as well? 17 days is a long time, no matter how wonderful Paris is. See the South as well.

And I love Nice. One of my very favorite cities. Beautiful Old Town, the sea, gorgeous Belle Epoque buildings. A city that is pretty but "real" as well. One of those places with a "feel" to it that is greater than the sum of its parts. In my opinion.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:12 AM

I think we don't have enough imformation to help you. What time of year are you going and what places would you like to see on the French Riveria?

By the way, Nice is one of my favorite cities, too. I go often, and other than me and my husbsand, no one else has "gleaming white teeth and $500 sunglasses." Honestly, I think one of the posters above is describing Cannes!

Nice is a cosmopolitan city, a little gritty and realer than many of the cities along the Riveria. It attracts a very diverse crowd from all over the world, especially in the summer months.

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:45 AM

Yannette:

the questions which come to mind are

have you ever been to Paris or France before?

any particular place on the Riviera you ahve in mind (people are assuming Nice..)

I agree with Weadles on this..otherwise is seems like a "use you as guidebook and then discard"
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Maybe my question should be....Has anyone had a trip which consisted of seeing both Paris and The French Riviera? How did you enjoy it? How long did you stay? and what would you do differently?
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:14 AM

TTT

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:15 AM

Yes. Having been to Paris a few times, and Burgundy... I wanted to see more. (Still do). So we went to the Riviera specifically for our honeymoon and returned to Paris for my "fix". Next time, I'm thinking Bordeaux and then the Paris fix...then Loire, and the Paris fix...and then ...and then...
Anyway, we rented an apartment for a week of newly married bliss in St. Tropez (in October - it was perfect) and then 4 days in Paris.