Luxury hotels in london

Search

Luxury hotels in london

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luxury hotels in london

Traveling to London with my family 1st week of April. I need some advice on a hotel choice. My kids are 9 and 12, and I want a luxury upscale hotel. I am considering the Ritz, Four Seasons, Lanesbourough. Anyone stay there or have any other ideas? Thanks so much
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:31 AM

I haven't stayed at those but doubt you could go wrong. I have, however stayed at the Stafford which is behind the Ritz & just loved it. It's small but wonderful:

http://www.thestaffordhotel.co.uk/
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:02 AM

Are you intent on only staying in the section of London where these three are located?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:49 AM

I have stayed at the Ritz and Lanesborough. Both of these hotel are wonderful! You are treated like the Queen of England. The breakfast buffet at the Ritz is delicious and the afternoon tea at the Lanesborough is a very nice experience.

Since you are traveling with your kids, you might want to consider 51 Buckingham Gate for a luxurious hotel/apartment style accomodation. We stayed at their one bedroom suite and truly enjoy our time. It had a nice kitchen and a big living room with flat screen tv and DVD and two sofas. The dining room sits six. And it had one and half bathroom, the main bathroom had double sink and separate tub.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Aloha
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:16 AM

What about Claridges? We had a beautiful suite (two connnecting rooms, each with enormous marble bath) that we got at a very good rate two years ago. I don't know if they still offer the family rate, but it's worth checking. This is a really outstanding hotel in a lovely neighborhood.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:49 AM

I second the suggestion of The Stafford. It is a small, privately owned hotel with beautiful furnishings and fabulous service.
Have a great trip.
Judy
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:05 AM

These hotels are out of my range, but good clients of mine have stayed at most of those mentioned. While admittedly The Lanesborough is "top notch" they found it overly pretentious and overbearing. They hated the Ritz which was primarily tour groups coming and going all the time, and a constant parade of "tourists" through the lobby. They still like Claridges and the Four Seasons is fine, but their favorite is the tiny 21 Jermyn, where a private suite is like staying in a fine home and your every whim is catered to as if you had a private butler. "Room service" is from a variety of nearby restaurants and brought to you. Although I'm not even sure they accept children there or what facilities they'd have for that.

I'm familiar with the Stafford (and the Duke's which used to be a sister hotel, but not sure it still is). Those are fine small hotels that I love, but admittedly they are not in the same class as the ones mentioned above.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:12 AM

The Ritz won't be suitable with children, not that they won't take them, but it's an hotel that is still in the dark ages enforcing a jacket and tie rule. Also it has very small public areas.

I'd always recommend Claridge's. The service is usually superb, the dining/bar facilities are amongst the best in London, and the suites are well appointed.

Lanesborough has a good bar, large rooms, generally very suited to American clientele. Four Seasons is seldom talked about, strictly for tourists.

I must note that it is relatively short notice. Many of these properties will be booked up, so I'd act fast. Also, you don't seem to have much of a preference or any particular requirements so it's hard to advise the perfect property.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:20 AM

Rothwoamn, was my first question to you somehow out of line? If so, i apologize.

I think there are many ways to define "luxury" and "upscale" but more importantly, what else is important?

location? room size? convenience to public transport? a pool (yes, at least one hotel has one, and inside to boot) or just a "name?"

Patrick, i wish i though I could afford to be in any tour group which stayed at the Ritz as many coats of paint as the place has.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Both interior and services at Ritz is not what it used to be. Lanesborough has good services, quite accomodating with family (esp since yours are not really toddlers). Another choice is the Dorchester--great view, really lovely service, fab spa, except it's not the most conveniently located to tube stations. the Claridges is a good choice, with better accss to the tube. (Love their bar, though restaurants are too much of a hype.)
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:15 AM

This might be an interesting alternative for you--San Domenico House in Chelsea:

http://www.sandomenicohouse.com
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Dukey, the predominance of tour groups at the Ritz seems to be high end ones from Japan, although many others stay there too. Not all tour groups go for budget places you know.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:48 AM

When on business, I tend to stay at Claridge's or the Connaught, both of which have excellent locations, but I would think Claridge's to be more child-friendly. I'm not partial to the others: the Ritz (a lot of tourists, no locals); Four Seasons (a chain, with little local flavor); and the Lanesborough (bad location, surrounded by traffic -- but a beautiful building).

The Savoy may be in a better location for kids -- short walk to Covent Garden, family-friendly restaurants and theatre. While Claridge's is my favorite hotel, Mayfair, where it sits, is not the first place I think of when considering a child-friendly part of London.

Michael
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:04 PM

I think thit cho makes a good point about the neighborhoods, but Claridges does seem child-friendly. We've always noticed quite a few families staying there (happily, it seemed!) during our visits. You just have to avoid the on-premises restaurants, which are, I think, overpriced and overrated.

As for The Savoy, unless they've finished renovations, I don't think their guest rooms compare favorably to Claridges. We visted friends who stayed there about a year ago, and their room was in dire need of much more than a paint job.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:43 AM

The food and beverages at Claridge's are highly priced, but they are excellent. No hotel has what I'd describe as "good value" restaurants whether it is the deluxe or economy band. That's where a lot of their profit lies.

You won't regret choosing Claridge's for your stay.

The Connaught is nothing special in comparison, it's dated, that's where its charm lies, but it's not suitable for families really. Or you could choose Le Meridien on Piccadilly which has a wonderful position and above all, a superb indoor pool if you think your children would like that sort of amusement.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:24 AM

Neo, thank you so much for correcting my mistaken view of tour groups.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:20 AM

You're welcome, Dukey.