Citadines vs Paris Sleeps

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My head is spinning. I think I have narrowed it down to a choice of 3. Our travel agent has booked:
* Citadines Paris Opera Grands Boulevards, which seems quite expensive.
But after reading great reports on Paris Sleeps I am looking at either:
* Notre Dame des Champs (Pais Sleeps)
* St Germain (Paris Sleeps)
Gail has been very helpful and has offered us some great discounts for cheque/cash and more discounts for January. I would love some feed back on any or all of these. I am saving about $500 Australian at Parissleeps, but its also about location, ammenties & comfort.
This site has made planning our trip so much fun, I feel like I know Paris already and its our first trip. I have a list of restaurants (thanks Nikki) and places to go and hints. Thanks one and all.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:56 PM

I know some people like Citadines, but I agree that they seem awfully expensive for what they are -- very basic with no character or charm. I've looked at thousands of Paris apartments that seem much better deals.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:12 PM

I rented from Paris Sleeps several years ago. I stayed on l'Isle St. louis. They are nice people. That would be my preference..also a good location
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 04:03 PM
MNP

When we visited Paris we actually stayed with a friend of ours that also happened to be visiting at the same time at a Citadines (Montmartre)While, I didn't see anything wrong with the hotel. It was clean, staff was helpful and my husband and I enjoyed it there. If we were to go back to Paris, we would probably stay somewhere a little more charming. With Citidens nothing about really jumped out at us as perticularly special. Our view was great of the Montmartre Cemetary and we enjoyed the location. I don't think you will be dissapointed at all with Citadens but I do think there are better options out there. Unfortunately I can't compare it to Paris Sleeps..

Good Luck with your choice! No matter which you pick, your gonna love Paris!
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks Patrick, gracejoan & MNP. it really does help. I also think that there will be more 'atmosphere' with the Paris sleeps option.
I am thinking about posting my plan as it is a small round the world trip and would love feed back on it. Do you think that that is a good idea? I am fairly new to this but am enjoying it a lot. thanks again.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 04:22 AM

You've very welcome, but I have a slight question.

How can any "around the world trip" be "small"? Sounds big to me to matter what the itinerary!

Bring it on, but I can tell you that if it's less than a year or two, be prepared for many people to tell you you're trying to do too much in too little time. You should probably ignore them.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick, I shall heed your advice! I will give you a short version and when it gets a bit closer I would like to post it on all the relevant threads.
20 Dec. Depart Brisbane to LA (via Auckland). one day/night to recover from 'long haul'trip. La to NYC. One week staying at the Southgate Tower. (Opp Madison Sq Gardens). We have been to NYC once before, but only for 4 days. This is my FAVOURITE part of the trip.......I love NYC! then onto Orlando for 10 days. Do a 5 day DW package, plus want to go to Kennedy and have a good look around the general area. Staying at Ventura Holiday Condos. Then Orlando to Chicago (needed to pick an exit point) for 4 days. Don't know a lot about chicago (only what I see on ER!! lol) But thanks to Foderites I am really looking forward to, now. Then off to London for a week. Staying at an apartment in Kensington, lovely people to deal with. Found it on the net, they have been very helpful. Then onto the Eurostar to Paris........Thanks everyone!! I think I will go with the Paris Sleeps option. 1 week in Paris. Then back to London for just 2 nights. Leaving one of the kids here. Uni student who is going to stay on for a month or so on her own!!!
Then home to Brisbane via Singapore for 4 days.
Well thats it, what do you think? would love to hear.
Just to clarify, we are a family of 4. 2 daughters, 17 & 19.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Can I go?
Sounds good to me. And it's nice that you're limiting your places, but spending time in each.

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 04:17 PM
MNP

(basically the same things patrick said)

Can I come too???

I love that you are taking so much time in each place, some people tend to want to go to more places with a day or two in each! I think you have the right idea!

Your daughters are going to have a blast and how lucky that one of them will get to stay on her own for a month or so! Very cool parents they have!!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Sure, come along!!!! I wish they thought we were 'cool'.
Yep, really spent a lot of time on this trip.
About 7 years ago we went to the states and tried to do too, much. Its was fun, but we were exhausted and missed a lot of things.
She is very excited about staying on. Hoping to make some contact while she is there, for when she finish's her degree in journalism at the end of next year.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like quite a trip! Some great cities, with a nice break in Orlando. My memory of four years in Chicago (thirty years ago however) had very little in common with ER (well, OK, there was the time I broke my foot falling upstairs and made a detour to the hospital on my way to playing in a concert, to which the campus police then delivered me on crutches), and with any luck your vacation there won't be reminiscent of the TV show.

The Paris Sleeps apartment which we rented was not one of the ones you are considering, but we did have a good experience with them.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

thanks Nikki. My whole Paris experience is going to be so much better because of you. Your trip report and comments have been invaluable..........keep it up. I have canceled the Citadines (it was only being held, 'till final decision was made) and will now choose between the two Paris Sleeps options. Any other advice from you Nikki, or anyone is greatly appreciated.
Dee