What area in Paris should I stay in??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Paris for 5 days what area would you suggest to stay in for location, and nice hotel, not too big.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:48 PM

Do you have a budget in mind?
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:01 PM

We just returned from Paris in May. We spent five nights at the Hotel Bonaparte in the 5th. Five minute walk to the Seine, ten minute stroll to the Latin Quarter center, five minutes to the Luxembourg Gardens...you get the idea. It was a great location.

You can search for the Bonaparte on this forum or elsewhere, there is much information about it. Basic, clean, non-smoking hotel in a terrific location.

Good luck and happy travels.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:15 PM

I stayed at a place not available to the public, but not far from the Bonapart and I assure you, it is a great location, although I have no first hand knowledge about the interior of the Hotel - I am sure the previous poster is credible.

There is always a great debate about right vs left. Inner Paris vs. outer, this arrondis. vs that, then there are the obligatory howls that it doesn't matter because Paris is Paris. Most people will say, "Stay in the area <blank> where I stayed, because it is the _real_ Paris", but then you can fill in the blank of where that area is with a random number generator, which suggests that the "Paris is Paris" argument carries some weight. For my part, I took my family (spouse, three teenagers) whose international experience was Cancun and Mazatlan, to the 5th eme. for a week and we had a ball. You can't go wrong going there, but apparently there is no where in Paris that is not a place to visit.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Look at it this way: there is no bad place to stay in Paris, so if you find a great deal anywhere within the city limits, go for it. After your first stay in Paris, you will know for yourself which atmosphere you prefer (quaint, cosmopolitan, medieval, modern, etc.), and your second trip to Paris will be perfect.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Sure there are some areas in Paris that are not that great to stay just like in any major city. For firsttime visitors a stay in one of the central, single digit districts would be better in my opinion.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 09:37 AM

What is your budget? What do you consider a "nice" hotel? What do you consider "not too big". Seriously, these are things one needs to know to answer you intelligently. What is "nice" to one person may be a dump to another. What is "not too big" may be 10 rooms or 100 rooms depending on who you ask.

To get good answers you need to give more info when you ask questions. People on Fodor's are very helpful but you need to help them with how questions are asked first.

I've been to Paris many times, I like different areas for different reasons. There is no one place that you will be near all tourist sites tho.

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 10:57 AM

I would recommend the Marais for location and Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais (get a room with a balcony).
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:07 PM

The Hotel Diana (**) in the Latin Quarter is a great deal and awesome location. About 3 blocks west of Notre Dame - it's only about 85-90E per night. Small rooms but very clean. Lots going on at night in the area also - lots of cheap ethnic food also.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:11 PM
ira

Hi g,

We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 124E dbl w/bkfst. It is located near 3 metro stops. Has AC

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

Photos are at http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-l95uyr

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 06:29 PM

Ira
I appreciated your input elsewhere about your beloved Bonaparte, and I've booked there for the first time for October.
I do have one or two more questions that I'd like to ask.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 09:04 AM

My husband and I just spent a month in Paris and while I can't recommend a hotel as we rented an apartment, I would recommend these areas in no particular order. Our favorites were the 1st Arrd. - great location and pretty quiet considering pretty heavy population, the Marais (4th Arrd.)- lots to do and pretty young happening scene, and the Latin Quarter (5th Arrd.)again with lots to do. The Marais and the Latin Quarter may be a little loud at night as they are happening areas, but the Marais has some wonderful streets. I would recommend NOT staying in St. Germain as it is fun, but insanely touristy and pretty loud (but that may be your thing). We also liked the 16th Arrd. which is quite residential and nice and has lots of museums, but it is huge so you need to make sure your hotel is near stuff. We stayed in the 1st Arrd. about a block and a half from the Louvre and loved it! Lots of restaurants and shops, the gardens at the Louvre to hang out in and if you don't mind walking a little bit, you can walk to 90% of the main tourist attractions in Paris. Have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 09:13 AM

We rented an apt. in the Marais. I really liked the area. There were little shops everywhere, good cafes, a big supermarket and alot of bakeries

There are Metro stations that will wisk you of to other parts of the city in a matter of minutes.

If you are into self-catering,
renting an apt. can be an inexpensive and fun alternative to hotels.

hope you have a wonderful time.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 12:15 AM

Grantop is correct; it's impossible to make a recommendation without knowing a price range.

Like many business visitors, I stay in the 8th.

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 04:55 AM
ira

Hi travelerstogodotcom,

Sorry to have missed your earlier post.

Start a thread with my name on it and I shall be happy to help as best I can.

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help... if I want to stay in the 250 -300 price range in the 1st arrid. or The Marais area, any suggestions???
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 06:14 PM

For close to 300 you might be able to catch a promotional rate at Pavillon de la Reine, which is the very nicest hotel in the Marais.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:18 AM

We stayed at the Victoria Palace in the 7th, just off Rue de Rennes. The rooms are huge, and the staff could not be more friendly. There is wonderful shopping nearby, and the bus stop and Metro are only two blocks away. This is a beautiful hotel, and my favorite in Pariis.

I can also recommned the Hotel d'Aubusson in the 6th, just two blocks from the Pont Neuf. I love this area. You just walk out the door and you are THERE! Everything you came to see is only steps away. And wonderful little restaurants everywhere.

Enjoy Paris!