Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris trip report, survived the strike with a blast!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Just came back today - not feeling the Strike when we landed on Wed, 10th.

*Paris for 6 nights March 10th-16th
*My 5th time in Paris (two of which were with the tour group) and my husband’s 3rd so this report is not the typical one - will focus more on our daily spending and sights visited so to give travelers idea if they are contemplating of going to Paris with our weak dollar or on a budget- it is absolutely doable.

Arrived Paris March 10th during the strike. I called Bee Shuttle upon arrival(toll free) and was told to go to departure floor gate #16 and driver on his way; waited about 20 mins and there were about 6 passengers from PA waiting already.
Our hotel was Comfort Hotel Lamarck in Montmatre area; tiny room, clean, staff was very nice and helpful. Sacre Coure was short walk up the steepy hill and very convenient to two metro stations wherein one was very close; next door to the hotel was boulangerie and a block was the grocery and bars/restaurant around the area.
When we arrived the lady at front desk told us that there were only few metro lines running so we decided to stay in the area and explore.
We bought some supplies including a picnic lunch:
Baget, .80
Cheese, 1.60
Pate, 2.50
Wine, 3.00
Pastry, 3.90
Water/soda, 2.70
Mineral water, 3.40 (6-pack)
Asstd. Fruits, 3.80
Grand total: E21.70

March 11th
Grand total expense: $70.65 (EXcluding shopping)
Bought carnet tickets - combo BUS and Metro:

Sights visited:
Rodin Museum - $10.00 each and $4.00 audio tour(for art freak husband only)
Opera House - $7.00 each (it’s really grand inside)
Latin Quarter
Lunch, $10.75 ( 2 sandwich/2 soda, pastry)
Starbucks coffee, $2.30 (was delighted to see)

*Made one stop shopping at Galeries LaFayette( they are having a 7-day sale); bought purses, light coat, blouse; husband bought a Longchamp briefcase; presents for 2 boys, bottle of Cognac not sold in the US, chocolates; purchased more than $175 and was able to claim VAT refund(go to their international desk, present your receipts and will give you a completed form; take the form to the custom at the airport before you check in for departure, get it stamped and either mail the pink copy back or if you have plenty of time and want cash you go to the next counter to get your refund -I opted to mail as we did not have time to get in line.

After shopping, felt hungry stop at Paul for pastries, $6.40; Went walking around St. Michel area and dinner at Latin Quarter (3-course meal including wine - salad and dessert were good but main entree was a so so,$50.Took the bus back to the hotel at 10:15pm; nice to see the city on above ground compared to Metro.

March 12th - Grand total, $115.70

At 10am went to St. Chapelle to purchase concert ticket for 7pm Vivaldi at $25 each .
Walked along Rue Rivoli/Marais ; browsed BHV store.
Bought carnet tickets, $10.50

Sights visited:
Picasso Museum, $6.50 each

Lunch, $16.50 (2 sandwich, soda and dessert with coffee);
Before heading to the concert stopped by Glafayette to pickup picnic dinner items for $9.80(sandwich, water, cookie)
After concert, felt hungry so we bought pastries, wine and cheese, $14.00

March 13th - Grand total, $59.00
Carnet tickets, $10.50
Lunch, $17.50 with dessert
Beer $2.00 (just so we can use the bathroom)
Macaroons $6.00
Pastries/baguette, $5.00
Picnic dinner $5.00 (Bacon/cheese)
Sights visited:

Musee la Musique -
Places de Vosges
Passages along Rue De Turenne and des Vosges

Went to Musee de la Musique - Porte D Pantin; $6.50; for music lovers - this is an interesting place with about 900 diff music instruments and in the same huge complex is the center for Arts/Sciences; This is a Sunday so we saw a lot of french families with their youngters in the park and also inside the center as it contains movie theater/ Imax, diff. expositions - the place was packed with locals.

March 14th - Grand total: $94.00

Daytrip to Chartres cathedral (Roundtrip for 2 $48.00) arrived at 10:30am and left at 1:33pm train back to Paris
Coffee/macaroons, $10.60
Water/chocolate, $2.80
Crepe lunch, $11.50 (2)
Dessert/water $3.70
Picnic dinner with half bottle wine, $8.48

Came back at Montparnasse train station, walked around and have a crepe lunch (ham, cheese, etc) . Went to Louvre as husband wants to see a particular wing but it was already closed at 6:00 while the rest stays open until 8pm.; head back to the hotel.

March 15th -last night and our 20th wedding anniversary; decided to purchase a Mobilis pass for our finale -ride the bus all over the place.

Mobilis pass $5.30 each
water/choco, $3.00
Pastry $3.00
Dinner, pre fix with before/after dinner drink, $88.00
Grand total: $105.00

Sights visited:
Luxemburg garden
Notre Dame
Carnavelle museum (sp)?
Stroll along Pont Neuf area

Took the bus all over town; noticed that between 10-12noon traffic in the main tourist area but enjoyed witnessing police directing traffic and Parisiens brisk walk on high heels.
Went back to the hotel before the pastry shop closes; bought some delicious pastries to take home!
Dinner at Invalides , L’Affriole -someone has posted this name and yes it was worth every penny -thanks.
It was a challenge locating the place but at 8:45pm we found it - you can see Eiffel Tower lit up from the outside of the place. No reservations but we’re lucky - staff was friendly, place was small, nice and food was very good! It was almost a 3-hour meal - we savor every moment of it. When we left the place fortunately a bus stop was just nearby and took the 11:30pm ride back to the hotel passing Eiffel Tower, Seine River , Champs Elysee - a bonus!

March 16th - Au Revoir Paris!

Had breakfast and after went to Champion grocery to purchase some, spices, chocolates and Creme De Cassis liqueur
Purchased RER ticket at $7.85 each; took Metro to Gare Du Nord and transfer RER to CDG, was about 25 mins ride.(direct route for 11AM train); when we reached the platform there were Americans too and got into talking ;in the train there is a chart that shows you terminal number of each airline so when you get off the train station you follow the signs to “Terminal” and leads you outside; the shuttle bus is clearly mark with terminal number - it was an easy process; when in doubt always ask but say Bonjour before anything else.

*When I was shopping at Galleries LaFayette, made few transactions and on the following day when I was trying to make purchase somewhere, my credit card has declined - well duh! I failed to advise them that I’m traveling to Paris as previous trips I made sure notify them although I did call my bank for ATM to make certain I have access to my money. The hotel receptionist helped me get thru them via collect by dialing 0-3-1-2-3 and someone will come on line asking for the number you want to call and then finally you get connected.
Cost of trip:
$575 each thru Go-today.com; RT, 6 nights with breakfast (reserved July 2004)
$600 - total meals, transpo, admission, etc.(stops at Tabac for water, E1.20-1.50 unaccounted).
**overall we had a blast
In my previous trip, did not do a whole lot of shopping but this time, I did good at GL where they markdown selected purses at least 30% also able to purchase nice tops in Montmatre for E10 each. While my husband do sketches outside I'm inside shopping so it works out well.
Well, I'm giving this report a priority hope you will find this a little bit helpful.
Got to do my laundry now and sort the chocolates we brought home.

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 09:39 PM

I always appreciate price breakdowns. I'm glad you were able to make the most of the transit situation. It sounds like you had a great time on a moderate budget.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:04 PM

passion4travel:

Do you need help with all sorting of chocolates?....can be tedious work...but someones gotta do it!
Shadow
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 01:34 AM
ira

Hi P,

Thanks for a very useful report on comparative consumer pricing.

What exchange rate are you using for E to $?

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

Ira,
I apologize the amount I posted here should be in EUROS not dollars. I typed the info. into word doc and copied to this post , was in a hurry last night and don't know how to type the Euro symbol.sorry.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 03:52 AM
ira

Hi P,

>..the amount I posted here should be in EUROS not dollars.<

Paris just got 33% more expensive.