Search

Paris Trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Trip

I'm 49, taking my daughter(11), to Paris for the holidays - arriving 12/26 and leaving back to the states on 1/10. I am a *complete* novice at European travel.

We have arranged thus far:

1) Pick up/Drop off at CDG by airport-shuttle.com

2) Hotel for the entire time at Hotel Unic Renoir st Germain, 56 Bis Rue Du Montparnasse

3) All day tour to Versailles via Expedia 12/28/05

4) Hop-on, Hop-off bus tour for 12/29 and 12/30 (I have no idea where to find this bus or what to do) via Expedia

5) Cirque d'Hiver for a 2pm performance on 12/31 (she's a kid - thought a really cool circus thing would be nice for New Year's Eve)

6) Rail Europe from Paris to London on 1/05/06 - have NO clue how to get about once we arrive - does anyone know? Should we get a tour service?

7) A "France Railpass" for each of us, for 4 days, 2nd class. Where do we go with that? I have a map I found online - there are "classic routes" and "premier" - I'm afraid the pass will only get us the classic routes - don't know how to find out otherwise.

As you can see, we have several days open, which will be used to relax and enjoy the atmosphere (as much as can be in the cold of winter). I would appreciate any suggestions on what we might do and where we might eat for both:

1) the rail pass days, and
2) in our hotel vicinity, Montparnasse (cemetery) (14)

Many thanks in advance!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

*smiles* Did I forget to BEG? I'm really desperate to get information, not wanting us to have a horrible trip.

If anyone has any information or tips on what is already arranged, or what *should* be arranged, please let me know!!!

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:48 PM

I'm sure you will have a good time, and you've planned some nice things.

I can't say exactly the logistics on some of the things you bought because you did it through Expedia. You could have either bought directly or on-site. I don't know what Expedia is selling, but they are not running tours themself, so you will have to find out what you bought. For example, the hop-on, hop-off bus tour you bought through them -- what company was this? All of the major companies have websites with route markings, so that can tell you where you can pick that up.

The France railpass probably wasn't a good idea, but that is water under the bridge since you own it. I have no idea what the classic vs. premier routes are -- sounds like some tourism spiel and maybe gives routes of touristic interest. A France railpass covers virtually any route the French rail system covers, and any city, so you have to decide what you want to do with that. That pass is very expensive and to get the most of it, you should take at least one day on a lengthy TGV trip. At least use it on something more expensive than the day trip to Versailles. I guess you are going to be in Paris for about 10 days, so you can do that. It sounds like you don't need it to help cover the trip to London, as you have a separate ticket for that.

So, a few train trip suggestions -- Lyon, which is TGV and about 2 hrs one-way, so you can do it in a day trip (I did). It's also fairly expensive if you don't buy advanced purchase tickets, so would be some use of your pass. You could also go to Avignon for the day -- I think that may be 2.5 hours one-way.

Other than that, there are day trips close by train, and you can use your pass up (but it would have been cheaper to buy regular tickets). However, at least it will be convenient to just get on the train with the pass without having to stand in line to get tickets. You do have to still reserve seats on any TGV and pay a few euro for that (but you can use your pass for that fare). You can just get on for a trip to Chartres or Rouen, for example -- those are two suggestions. Or, you could go to Reims, that is another idea.

I frequently stay near your hotel (a few blocks away) and it's a great area, convenient, with lots of shops and restaurants. There are so many places to eat around there, that I can't recommend anything in particular off the top of my head without specifics (cuisine, price, etc). For one thing, the particular street that hotel is on is known for its excellent creperies, if you like that. Try Creperie de Josselin. I also like the cafe at the end of rue d'Odessa on the place where the Edgar Quinet metro stop is (really across from it, not right next to the stop). That would be for drinks, snacks, etc. There are lots of good cheap restaurants on bd Edgar Quinet between the Montparnasse tower and going east, of different styles. Just walk along there and see what appeals.

Finally, there is great cheap shopping in the Inno store at the corner of bd Edgar Quinet and rue du Depart. That is a general purpose/clothing "department" store (same owners as Monoprix) with lower prices and a wide variety of goods (if you are American, sort of like Target, but I think it's better and doesn't have electronics or things like that). They have a great grocery store in the basement, and a bakery, takeout, etc. Because you are with your daughter, you might enjoy shopping there as you won't blow the budget too much.

You'll have a great trip!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:51 PM

I hate to be discouraging but IMHO this trip is already arranged to death.

One of the major joys of Paris is just walking and exploring (I know it may be chilly - but probably won;t be frigid) all of the various neighborhoods and serendipitous sights.

I would bag the hop on/off buses - I think these are always a waste of time. Much better to pick the places YOU really want to see and do it at your own pace - than try to jump off for a few minute view of everything. (It's hard to make specific recos since you haven't said much about interests.)

Also - don;t know why you have a railpass at all - unless there is someplace specific you want to go in the countryside - which tends to be very dreary at this time of year.

I can't tell if you're planning on staying in London - or just going for the day - IMHO a complete waste of time.

I would redo the trip to divide time between Paris and London - and do a quick 1/2 day to Versailles by the local train.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 05:04 PM

I find the hop-on hop-off busses a great way to go, especially if you've never been before. I like to do one entire loop to get the lay of the land and then take it again later one and pick a few places to get off and explore.

You can find the busses at all of the major tourist spots...check the website for whatever company you bought the tickets for and it will tell you where the stops are.

Have a great trip.

margy
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, you two! First, I can't "redo" anything I've already committed to - it was an Expedia thing and the stuff is now already paid.

I'm hoping someone can recommend something we can do with the rail pass - my daughter would love train travel, and a few day trips to anywhere the thing takes us would be fun - even if only for a few hours of a visit and a meal and a short tour!

Christina - you said "you should take at least one day on a lengthy TGV trip" - errr... what does that mean? What is a TGV trip?

Also, since you've stayed (I thank you SO much) in the neighborhood we will be in - what is the closest Metro station and how do I even FIND the rail station to London (isn't that a different terminal)? And I'll definitely take you up on your cheap shopping/eating ideas!

NYtraveler - I hope I didn't misunderstand - the hop-on/hop-off said we could take at our leisure the stay - additional buses came at 30 minute intervals. Sheesh, I hope so...

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 05:11 PM

Hi TBelle,

Welcome to this forum. Sounds like a nice trip for you and your daughter. You will find lots of experience here, and lots of strong opinions.

As I read your plans, I'm thinking you want to be sure and have a good time, have the responsibility of being the only adult on a first time trip to Europe and want to be sure your daughter has a good time.

I think you will both love the trip to Versailles. Spectacular. Doesn't really matter which tour through Expedia, just glad you're going.

I'm thinking you arranged the Hop-on, Hop-off tours to help get around the city so you can see things like Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tour, the Louvre, etc. without having to walk overly much from place to place. If so, it seems reasonable. I haven't done this for Paris, but used this strategy for other cities when I'm trying to see alot in a short time. Maybe your hotel can give you more information. You can call them ahead of time and ask. Or call the tour company directly that you booked through Expedia.

I agree with nytraveler that a day trip to London is pretty short. On the other hand, I have friends that did just the opposite. They were in England for a week and took the train to Paris for a day, just to be able to see another country, and had a great excursion.

If you can make some of the changes suggested above, great. But if you are already booked, don't worry. You will have a great time. And don't be afraid to be flexible. More than once, I have booked a tour and then just cancelled it once I arrived because we ended up wanting to do something else. If you only use two or three of your rail pass days, consider it an adventure in good judgement.

For where to go on the rail pass, maybe you and your daughter can make a list together of some places that look interesting, and then check the Railpass routes for which are most feasible.

Hope you have a marvelous trip! SusanEva
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 05:13 PM

The hop on/hop off tour is a great way to get an over view of Paris and you'll get an idea of where you might like to come back to on your own. Find out which company you are booked with - there is L'open Tour and another I can't think of at the moment. Find out the name and "google it" to see the route map. You usually can start at any of the stops (i.e. we hopped on near Notre Dame) and when you get to a site you have the option of getting off the bus or staying on. If you get off you can spend as much time as you like, just make sure you know when the last bus is making rounds so you don't get "stranded", which isn't horrible - just inconvenient. You have planned wonderful thing for you and your daughter, if you get cold stop somewhere for some hot chocolate - she will love it! Have fun.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 05:24 PM

Hi TBelle,

Also, forgive me if you already know this, but I wanted to be sure you know how easy it is to find some of the things you are wondering about on the internet.

For example, if you would like to have a map of the CDG airport, or know anything at all about it, you can just Google "CDG" and you find the link to the airport web site. Same for the Paris metro, for whatever London Railstation is at the end of your RailEurope trip. Most of these sites can help you know how to make connections to the city.

Also, as you think about specific destinations for your railpass, you can do a search function here, say maybe typing "Chartres" and "train" in the search box, and all the previous posts on that topic will show up. You may be able to get detailed information from those that have already posted but are not on line currently.

Sorry if you already know these things, but didn't want you to get stuck.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

I *love* the feedback you all have provided - thank you SO much! I checked Expedia and the hop-on/hop-off is through City Sightseeing/L'OpenTour - if that means anything to anyone posting...

Kristen and I are VERY excited about our trip - I just don't want to mess anything up. I wish I'd found this forum earlier - I wouldn't have booked the rail pass - but since we now have spent big bucks for it, I want to use it!!!

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't worry, there is no way on earth you will have a horrible trip. You will have a great trip.

You will have plenty of time to do things in Paris, take some day trips by rail, and visit London.

The TGV is a very fast train (that's the literal translation) that can take you to any of a number of places that are fairly distant but can be made into a day trip because the train time is so much shorter than it would be on a regular train.

The hop on/off bus does indeed allow you to make stops at lots of destinations, visit them, and get back on when another bus comes along. Many people take them just for orientation, riding an entire loop for an overview before getting off to see a sight. But you can certainly do it the other way, and take it to the specific things you want to see. It's good for the first day or two, before you learn the lay of the land and get used to the bus and metro system.

You do not need a tour company to visit London. You take the train from the Gare du Nord in Paris, which is accessible by metro. There are lots of possibilities once you get to London. There is very good public transportation. Check out the London section under Destinations on this website, for a start.

Your hotel is near very good metro connections. You should find a map of Paris and a metro map and study them. You can take the metro at Edgar Quinet or Montparnasse/Bienvenue, or Vavin. All close to your location.

Keep asking questions.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Once again, thanks, all. I did try to figure out how to get to the New Year's eve plan - the website info said "Please arrive at Cirque d'Hiver at least half another before the performance. The nearest Metro station is Filles du Calvaire on Line 8."

It doesn't appear to be very far, but I was really shaken up at trying to figure out how to get there by Metro (I thought I had a good plan, taking 13 and intersecting with 8 - then went to a site what gives an agenda (don't remember the site) which said it was nearly impossible to get there by Metro...

Am seriously considering a taxi for this one - is the price outrageous?

Meantime, I will sleep on all the wonderful info provided and try to develop new ideas to ask tomorrow.

Is it really smartest to find a bakery and cheese shop for breakfast - a purchase and carry-out type place?

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 05:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
The price of a taxi should not be outrageous. But I don't know whether they might be a little harder to find on New Year's Eve.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You'll have a great trip, but unfortunately you jumped on a lot of pre-paid passes/tours etc. Nothing horrible w/ that but probably over-planned and over-paid.

as for the L'opentour - you could have just got on at any of it's stops and paid the driver w/o pre-booking anything. So I sure hope you didn't pay a premium to buy it ahead of time.

The day trip to London - London is a great city and easy to get around. Do realize the daylight will be VERY short so it will be dark long before you get back on the Eurostar.

When you get get off the train at Waterloo International you will be a VERY short walk from the river, London Eye and Big Ben. So I would just walk over to the Eye, and ride it right then if there isn't a long queue. If there is a long line then buy tickets for about 90 minutes before your train departure. That way you can come back and ride the Eye and then walk over to Waterloo to go back to Paris.

And unless it is raining/snowing, I recommend taking the hop-on-hop-off bus tour (just like the one in Paris). After the Eye, walk across the bridge to Big Ben and then just a few yards up Whitehall there is a bust stop for the tour buses. Skip it is it is stormy though since the open top will be really uncomfortable and you can't see much from downstairs.

You can get off the bus anywhere to visit something that look interesting (Tower of London, St Pauls, British Museum, whatever.

BTW - I also don't have any idea what to do w/ your rail passes - sure hope you didn't pay much since a few point to point tickets most surely would have cost a lot less.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 06:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oops - that should be bus stop, not bust
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 06:25 PM

TBelle

I've looked at your thread twice tonight and I am more convinced than ever that you have to do some reading about Paris and daytrips from Paris by train.

Any of the more popular guide books are easy to read and will help you immensely. The time invested will be nothing compared to the benefits you will get from reading more about the city, what is available, how to get around, what to see, how to get to other destinations by train, and more.

Since we're on Fodor's, why not get Fodor's most recent Paris guide and do your homework? Under-preparing is to me the worst mistake I made in my early travel experiences.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 06:47 PM
BAK

Assorthed thoughts from a father of an 11 year old boy. the dad's been to Paris and London several times, but the kid has not.

Both cities can be rally chilly in the winter. It's not that it's so cold by the thermomenter, it's just cold seeping into the bones.

So get yourselves somewhat stylish boots, but warm ones. But no need to have high boots to cope with snow.

Breakfasts; yes, getting stuff from bakeries and little grocery stores is a good idea, but the chilly weather will takeyou back to yourhotel.

Many paris hotels include continental breakfast -- tea or coffee, pastries, etc. -- in the room rate, so you may be lucky.

I, too, think you are already overbooked, but what's done is done.

London; according to my notes, if you are on the Eurostar train, you'll arrive at Waterloo Station, and that's close to beidges across the Thames, near Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, the London Eye giant ferris wheel, etc. London is a big city, so plan.

How long are you staying? I certainly would stay one night, even if you double pay for the room back in Paris.

11 year olds, boys and girls, are stange creatures. Some would love a trip, and others will just miss their X-box. Looking on the positive side...

Has she read any books about London and Paris that might make for good destinations, and things to see? At the least, you might rent American in Paris, and then as you walk around Paris, look for similar kinds of places.

If she is an adventurous eater, plan part of your trip around food. French fries, of course (go to the Latin Quarter and buy them from a restaurant that sells them, in a paper cone, through a window.

And on other days, work your way through different kinds of food; fish one day, just vegetables one day, pork one day, and she might like to keep tack of the cheeses she eats.

If it was my son taking the trip, he'd have a digital camera, and he'd work at shooting several kid-related pictur stories as he moved around. For instance, pictures of one letter at a time, from street signs, etc., that spelled out his name.

He's an animator, so we'd look for animation demonstrations. Does your girl have a serious hobby? It might be fun to go find a ballet school, just for the adventure of walking around. No need to actually go inside.

Of the art galleries, the Pompidou has the escalator that's the most fun.

I'm a fan of water, and so's my son. maybe your daughter would like a crusie on the Seine, and a cruise on the Thames.

You'll find in Paris lots of tourist literature in English, so you won't be completely lost.

It's making use of the train pass in France that has me stuck. Is it your plan to go somewhere and come back the same evening, so you use your hotel?

Nice, even in the winter, is interesting and it would be fun to see the Mediterranean, but it sure is a long way away. Do you have any old relatives who were in France in World War II? Maybe a trip to Dieppe or Dunkerque would be important to her values.

As someone mentioned, one of the great things about Paris is just walking around.

One of the favorite assignments from teachers is the old compare and contrast question. She might enjoy comparing a couple of her favorite American (I'm imagining you are starting of the in the USofA) things with the same kind of thing in Paris. i.e. where do you buy sports shoes.

What's it like going to a movie (you can probably find some English language movies, or a dubbed version of a movie she's already seen.) Where do people in paris buy cars? How are pre-teen girls dressed? Do grownups dress fancier in aris, London, or back home?

Anyway... there's a lot to be said fro doing relaxing things, too. Sit in a sidwalk cafe and read for a while. You don't have to "make good use" of every minute.

And remember, cabs are easy. Sometimes it helps to write down your destination, if your French isn't too good.

(True story: talekd to my friend Sean yesterday, who's a flying doctor. He was in Dubai the other day, where road signs are in Arabic and English. The only problem was that his taxi drivr was from Pakistan, and could not read either language, but they still managed to get back to his plane. Which reminds me; check into medical insurance)

If she likes gruesome things, go to the catacombs.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 08:00 PM

You have received some good advice here. Taxis are not expensive, particularly if there are two of you. The suggestion that you write the address on a slip of paper is a good one if you do not speak French.
If I were doing this I would take the TGV (trains de Grand Vitesse) to Avignon, a 2 1/2 hour trip. You would see a different part of the country, and Avignon's old town is quite interesting. The Palace of the Popes, the Pont d'Avignon (your daughter probably knows the song), and the Rue de la République are quite interesting. Another interesting trip would be the one to Chartres. The cathedral there is outstanding.
The Carte Orange allows one to ride the buses and métro from Monday morning to Sunday night, and is a good buy. The buses may be a bit more difficult to figure out than the métro, but if you aren't afraid to make a mistake now and then, I think you would enjoy using them.
You can buy a Pariscope at a news kiosk. It lists the concerts, plays, movies, etc. that are playing that week. Many churches have concerts. If there is one at Sainte Chapelle, I suggest you go.
Enjoy! Paris for a first or a 75th trip is a joy. I will be there when you are there, and it may be my 75th. Boots
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 08:12 PM

Can't imagine what site told you that couldn't reach the Cirque d'Hiver by Metro, but I'd take that one off my list of favorites, for sure. You certainly can. Changing at Invalides, right? Your route looks fine to me!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 08:41 PM

With one day in London with a kid I'd recommend one of the following.

When you arrive at Waterloo station, take a taxi to Buckingham Palace to see the Changing of the Guards (it's at 11:00 AM). Afterwards picnic in St. James Park and feed the ducks or eat lunch at Trafalgar Square. Then walk down Whitehall stopping for a photo at Horse Guards. Walk past the Houses of Parliament to Westminster Abbey, my favorite attraction in London. After that cross the Thames and ride the London Eye.

The other option would be to taxi from Waterloo to the Tower of London and then take the riverboat from tower pier to embankment pier near Trafalgar Square and then walk to Westminster Abbey and the London Eye.

Depends on you and your daughter's interests. I'd take the former personally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -