Paris- Trendy/ hip/ upscale restaurants

Jan 18th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Paris- Trendy/ hip/ upscale restaurants

Any recommendations for any new, trendy restaruants with great atmosphere and most importantly real good food.
Budget is $150 for two with no liquor included

Are any of these restaurants in fun neighborhoods that we can walk around after dinner.

Also looking for some good lunch place with lively fun atmosphere and first rate food.

Thanks
Jan 18th, 2005, 06:16 PM

I was looking over my lists of restaurants that we want to go back to in Paris in March. I keep diaries from our trips.
None of the good places we ate in were under $200-
You might have to adjust your criteria, like good food but not as trendy, or really new and trendy and just drinks.
Hope you find something and have a good time!
Jan 18th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Scarlett certainly likes to spend money. There are a number of good restaurants in Paris for under 150 USD if you do lunch instead of dinner. There are even a number of decent places where you can have a great dinner for under 150 USD, if you know where to look. It all depends on where you want to dine and on what.

http://www.pagesrestos.com/
http://www.resto.fr/top.cfm
http://www.patriciawells.com/
Jan 18th, 2005, 07:50 PM

Robert, have you been talking to my husband?
I might have spent less at lunch, but that was not what I thought the question was about.. But when you add "New, Trendy, Good atmosphere and Real good food for two!" you sort of get a limited choice.
I have Patricia Wells here, but will look at your sites too.
Thanks~Scarlett
Jan 18th, 2005, 10:19 PM

Le Square Trousseau on rue Antoine Vollon in the 11th arrondissement is not new, but it is certainly a favourite with the "in" crowd in Paris. The food is excellent and, I'm told, you may well spot the odd famous face (though I never have there!). It's in the Bastille area which is full of bars and clubs, so lots going on there in the evenings.

If you like Spanish food you could try La Boca Chica on rue de Charonne, also in the Bastille area. Tends to attract lots of bright young things although it's well under the budget you stated (not "upscale" in that sense).

You could also try Somo on rue Montmartre (Grands Boulevards area), a bar-restaurant that's part of a small group of trendy bars (including the Bottleshop and the Lizard Lounge) - website is http://www.hip-bars.com/somo/index.html#

You could have a look at the Time out guide (http://www.timeout.com/paris/rest/) for some more suggestions or, better still, buy the Time Out Guide to Eating and Drinking in Paris.
Jan 19th, 2005, 12:48 AM

A couple of choices: Lei on the Ave. La Motte Picquet, a couple of doors down from the perennial Fodorite favorite, Le Florimond. Lei is a modern, fairly new restaurant not far from the Eiffel Tower. We liked it a lot and have eaten there a few times (FYI, it's modern Italian, not French). Have only been there for lunch, don't know what the atmosphere is like at dinner. Another rec for Scossa, on the Place Victor Hugo in the 16th. This is more a cafe/bar than restaurant, but it has a definite buzz. Full of Parisian BCBGs, not touristy at all, great neighborhood. Tokyo Eat another hotspot. Both Scossa and Tokyo Eat serve fusion cuisine.
You can see photos and menus of Lei and Tokyo Eat at:
http://www.reservethebest.com/_fr_/r...ant.php?Id=377 (Tokyo Eat)

http://www.reservethebest.com/_fr_/r...ant.php?Id=386 (Lei)
Jan 19th, 2005, 03:23 AM
ira

>Full of Parisian BCBGs,...<

How would I recognize a BCBG if I saw one?

Jan 19th, 2005, 04:11 AM

Ira, spend an hour or two at Scossa and watch the regulars. If you still can't figure it out, then get back to me.
Jan 19th, 2005, 04:36 AM
ira

Hey, BT,

What and where is Scossa?

If I don't know who Halle Berry is, will I be able to figure it out?

Jan 19th, 2005, 04:47 AM

Ira, if you re-read my first post in this thread, you'll see I noted Scossa is a cafe/bar/restaurant on the Place Victor Hugo in the 16th arrondissement of Paris.
As for Halle Berry, you're on your own with that one.
Jan 19th, 2005, 06:17 AM

ira, you are funny!

RE: BCBG- I come from neighborhoods that are similar to the 16th, similar sort of inhabitants. If you put them all in a store or restaurant together with the rest of the town, they will merely be the better dressed housewife, etc.
Last night after discussing this faux pas of mine with the Yankee who seems to be telling my secrets to Robert! I was told that yes, we did spend less than $200 a night, but they were cafes, small bistros and family places such as Allard.
That if I were to want
"trendy, real good food and great atmosphere in a fun neighborhood", I am gonna pay for it. I used to think of Buddha Bar as trendy hip etc..and how much does a drink or dinner cost there? for two?
That said, this is a good source for new restaraurants to add to my list that I am beginning ( we are trying to avoid repeating visits to any old haunts .. although we will go to Allard again. so Thanks
Scarlett
Jan 19th, 2005, 07:50 AM

Actualy, Scarlett, there's a little more to it than that...it's not just the clothes, it's the attitude (good looks or style, good attitude). One of the things I like so much about Scossa is that not only are most of the regulars there so stylish (fun to watch on that basis alone), but also relaxed and having a good time. Not stiff or self-important, as you see in certain places like the Plaza Athenee bar.
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:12 AM

BCBG = Bon chic bon genre

A near equivalent to this in the UK is a Sloane (with derived adjective,"Sloaney"), originally refering to the posh types that live in or around Sloane Square in London (A.K.A. "Yahs" due to the way they say "yes")
Jan 19th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Trendy restaurants are to be found all over the 11th arrondisement, near Oberkampf. I'm not sure if they would qualify for the "upscale" designation, but you can see for yourself. Here's an example:

Le Cannibale, 93 rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud, 11e, 01 49 29 95 59. M Couronnes. Open noon-midnight daily. Noisy, crowded bar, with reputed excellent young Australian woman chef.

Alternatively, on the upscale front, you might want to try:

Lo Sushi, 1 rue du Pont Neuf, 1e, 01 42 33 09 09.
Very avant garde style and you can log onto computers to chat with fellow diners. (sounds like some old movies I recall that showed people telephoing from table to table)

Kong, 1 rue du Pont Neuf, 1e, tel: 40 39 09 00.
A bar in the same building. Ask for a table on the upper floor next to the glass roof.

"R", 8 rue de la Cavalerie, 15e 01.45.67.06.85, M La Motte-Piquet-Grenelle.
My notes (not from experience) say "A hip new spot in a penthouse space. The Eiffel Tower view adds some real drama to a very attractive setting with stone walls, moulded pedestal chairs and white laminate tables."

Enjoy your visit.