Vegetarian in Paris: Tips Please

Feb 24th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Vegetarian in Paris: Tips Please

I know that eating is a MAJOR part of enjoying Paris, but as a vegetarian, I am worried that I won't have any good, tasty alternatives for dinner.

I printed out a list of vegetarian restaurants I found, but wonder if anyone has any feedback on some they liked, AND how to find alternative entrees, food items, in regular cafes and restaurants? If you go to a nice restaurant in Paris with a fixed menu, are they amenable to substituting for vegetarians or is this frowned upon?

Thanks!!
Feb 24th, 2003, 11:14 PM

In the 11th is a great Berber restaurant "Le Bleu Homme".It is small and intimate. They serve a wonderful vegetable tagine.
Feb 24th, 2003, 11:28 PM

Being a vegetarian in Paris is not the easiest thing, as you will find that many of the traditional French restaurants and brasseries simply do not cater for meat-free diets!

They don't usually like to change the set menus, and if you do ask for a vegetarian dish they will probably offer you an "assiette de légumes" - just a plateful of steamed vegetables!!

In my experience, veggie restaurants in Paris tend to be of the "lentil warrior" wholefood persuasion, so don't expect wonders.

There are some good Lebanese and other Mediterranean style restaurants in Paris that will give you a good choice of meat-free dishes, and of course there are the ubiquitous pizza places. Another good option for vegetarians is crepes - head to the rue du Montparnasse and rue d'Odessa near Montparnasse station for a huge choice of traditional Breton creperies. (Creperie Josselin is the best in my opinion)

You might also want to try Chez Marianne in the Marais (Rue des Hospitaliers St Gervais) which is a Jewish restauarant with an excellent selection of mezze and lots of veggie choices.

Another place you could try is the trendy Pause Café on the corner of rue Charonne and Avenue Ledru Rollin, in the 11th. They have good vegetarian options.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to purchase the Time Out Guide to Eating and Drinking in Paris. It's sold at newstands and bookstores (such as WH Smith on Rue de Rivoli) and costs around 8 euros, I believe (my copy cost 50 francs). It's a brilliant guide to restaurants in Paris and they have a good section on veggie places, as well as other ethnic options. Their reviews are usually very reliable.
Feb 24th, 2003, 11:31 PM

When I want to have a vegetarian meal, I usually go to the Lebanese restaurant 'Noura' on 121, Blvd. Montparnasse, 6th arr. They have two other branches:
29, Blvd. des Italiens and 21, Avene Marceau.

I find ethnic restaurants the best for vegetarian food.
Of course, you can find them in French restaurants as well, but sometimes their choice is still poor (salads, omelettes, soufflees, etc.). Avoid the places that are wellknown for their meat dishes.

Most Indian, Moroccan and Asian restaurants have wonderful veggie dishes as said above (tagines, vegetarian couscous, etc.).
Feb 25th, 2003, 07:11 AM

Invest in a copy of Sandra Gustafson's Great Eats in Paris. She reviews several vegetarian restaurants and points out the availability of vegetarian options in many of the other restaurants she lists.
Feb 25th, 2003, 07:41 AM

No need to buy any books. Just go to Google.com and type in"paris vegetarian restaurants" and you will find about 20 good sites with info you can download to your PDA. Additionally, most bistro's offer veggie dishes, but you may not luck out on the prix-fixe menu offerings.
Feb 25th, 2003, 08:03 AM

La Truffe in the Marais
Piccolo Teatro in the Marais
Aquarius, there are two, one in the Marais, one in the 14th
Au Grain de Folie in Montmarte
La Germette d'Olivier in Montmarte
Nicelio, Italina (pasta and salads)
Wherever you go in Paris you can get wonderful salads, omeletes, cheese quiche and sandwiches. If you eat fish, it will be easier, that is what I do.
Have a wonderful time!
Feb 25th, 2003, 08:12 AM

Strict or vegan vegetarians have a hard time in France. They add whey (cow's milk) to some breads. There are more vegetarians in the UK so it's easier to eat there.

One alternative is to check the labels and buy food from the supermarket. Another is to eat Indian food. Good luck
Feb 25th, 2003, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your helpful advice, I really appreciate it. I know it will be a challenge, but your tips will help make it less stressful!
Feb 25th, 2003, 09:27 AM
tpl

I have also found a number of places to get fresh carrot and other vegetable juices in Paris. One that surprised me was the lower level of the Monoprix store!

I second the recommendations for ethnic food -- lots of great falafel in the Marais.
Feb 26th, 2003, 12:18 PM

Also try The King of Falafel in the Marais. It's the best I've had anywhere.
Feb 26th, 2003, 12:36 PM

The very upscale, expensive, 3 star L'Arpege, on rue de Varenne, is now vegetarian, for a real splurge!
Feb 26th, 2003, 01:14 PM

There's a restaurant in Paris by the Opera House, which I can't remember the name but if you're facing the Opera House it's to the left of it. I ordered cucumber soup and Bruschetta. Both were very tasty. I definitely wasn't hungry when I left. I'm not a vegetarian but prefer meatless dishes a good portion of the time. Enjoy
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Hey guys...anyone know of any Caribbean restaurants in Paris?
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:12 AM

I'm a veggie as well and on rare occasona I would have a small steak. (I just don't like meat, poultry or fish) This does not mean I don't like good food. I had warm goats cheese salads, Onion soups (Many are made with beef stock so it's up to you) and the best salads and fondue. It was delish and believe me I did not starve. Falafel is also great as wellas most ethniv restaurants. Just read the menus outside which is what I did.

Grandmere I am going to check out the restaurant mentioned. It sounds great.