Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris restaurants for the unsophisticated palate? (And any vegetarian suggestions?)

Search

Paris restaurants for the unsophisticated palate? (And any vegetarian suggestions?)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:27 AM
paige

Hello,<BR> <BR>There are great recommendations on this board for people with adventurous eating habits, but I will admit I am much more simple (I'm sure several people will say uncultured...that's OK!)<BR> <BR>Any recommendations for affordable places that make simple things like omelettes, salads? I like eggs, cheese and almost all veggies, but the only meat I eat is fish.<BR> <BR>Also would like to know about good creperies? Anyplace that makes good pasta or pizza?<BR> <BR>I am staying at the Grandes Ecoles, FYI, so recommendations in the 5th are expecially appreciated. Many thanks.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:40 AM
RnR

In the 5th, you have numerous places catering to Sorbonne students - look along St. Michel, to the left as you walk up twoard the Lux. Gardens.<BR><BR>My I suggest you purchase the Cheap Eats book, by P. Gustafson - you'll find what you need in there.<BR><BR>Here's a place for pasta and pizza - lots of Parisiennes here, family oriented, small, friendly to say the least, great service and good food at cheap prices: Le Golfe de Naples, 5, rue de Montfaucon, near Metro stop Mabillon. <BR><BR>Love this neat place!

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:05 AM
Christina

okay, well, what you want is just simple cafe food.... it's all over the place, you don't need special recommendations, you will find it anywhere. Now, there are some places better than others, of course.<BR><BR>Okay.. in that area I do like Crepes a GoGo just NW of the Pantheon on rue Soufflot (this is a nice tea salon-type place, not what the name sounds like). There is a good Moules and Frites Belgian brasserie on that street also (La Gueuze at 19 rue Soufflot) ... around Grandes Ecoles there are many restaurants, just walk around-- but Lena et Mimile at 32 rue Tournefort is a good standby French bistro.<BR><BR>I have not eaten crepes at Crepes a GoGo (I think I had a lunch of omelette and salad) but I suppose they must have them with that name. The best crepe section of Paris is on rue Montparnasse, I think -- at least there are several restaurants in a row that they specialize in that (between bd Montparnasse and bd Edgar Quinet), I think there is one named Joslyn or something like that which is particularly good. If you go there, just walk up and down and find one you like, several are real cute and cozy.<BR><BR>I would avoid pizza like the plague in Paris, it is done particularly bad there IMO.<BR><BR>There are vegetarian restaurant guides online (www.legrenierdenotredame.com and www.piccoloteatro.com are two such restaurants), but for what you want, I wouldn't bother going to places called that. You could try the restaurant chain Chez Clement, also, they are reliable and reasonably priced, have a good selection and a lot of seafood dishes.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:14 AM
RnR

LOL, but pizza in Paris is wonderful, but different than how you may have it here in the USA - very thin crust with interesting toppings and quite flavorful! Much like the pizza made on the beach in the FWI, such as on the French island Guadeloupe. Could a city like Paris, with all that wonderful food, be totally incapable of turning out a terrific pizza. What does your intuition tell you? If a three star restaurant can be asian, wouldn't it surprise you that Paris was unable to handle a basic recipe from a country only next door. Pizza in Paris is a nice break.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:37 AM
paige

Thanks everyone, these are wonderful suggestions. I appreciate the person who topped the vegetarian thread, too. Arpege sounds really nice, but probably out of my price range.<BR> <BR>I am familiar with pizza in Italy and Germany, and am guessing Paris is similar. I like that artichokes are a common topping over there...yum!<BR> <BR>Any thoughts on a fondue place? I can probably ask for just bread and veggies to dip, right?

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:45 PM
Susan

There are crepe stands on (seems like) every corner in Paris. You can order them sweet or savory. Often these are just outside a bakery.<BR><BR>Italian food is not expensive and easy to find vegetarian selections. There is a low-key place called Luna something (sorry) that I saw in several locations around the Latin Quarter. Mellow atmosphere, friendly staff, and great simple pasta dishes.<BR><BR>p.s. Watch out for salads in Paris... they throw meat in most everything!!

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 01:33 PM
Alice

I fall into the same dining category. We like the Italian food at Vesuvio's, located one block off Champs Elysee. I don't remember the street name but if you walk on the right side w/ back to Arc, and keep looking down sidestreet, you'll find it. Pizza Margerita is more traditional pepperoni/cheese, watch out for "ouefs" or somesuch, that would be egg. We've had a couple of pasta dishes and steak also. It feels more relaxed in there to me. Brasserie Ecole-Militaire is another relaxed venue, where you can choose what you want without so much regard to courses. We've had salad plates, steak, fish etc there, very good, and shared an ice cream dessert so rich the two of us couldn't finish it. There will always be a menu posted outside so you can pre-plan what you want; it will be easy.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 03:05 PM
Melissa

I agree with Susan. Here in America, if you order a (for example) steak salad, you can expect a large plate of lettuce and maybe 5 thin slices of steak. I ordered a salad in Paris, and it came with little greens, and four hunkin' big pieces of pork terrine! I had to walk up and down St. Germaine several times to walk that one off.<BR><BR>If you are into crepes, there is a little crepe stand on the rue Cler run by a gruff man. These must be the cheapest crepes I've had! But yummy!<BR><BR>Finally, for the unsophisticated palate: My sister always recommends this place called Flunch, which is like a cafeteria and you select the components of your meal. It's great for people who do not speak French and do not mind the food being very simple.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 05:26 PM
Alice

We ate at Flunch also! Happened to come across it accidentally, were hungry, so gave it a shot. For reasonable price ($8-10 pp) you can get a hot entree, frites /veggie, salad bar, rolls, and beverage (choose a small wine bottle or get fountain drinks with -gasp-ice It was full up with students and families. Definitely not gourmet but didn't throw food out, either; kind of fun actually.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:24 PM
Jenny

If you were staying in a hotel with a restaurant in France they would make a delicious entree of cruditees (veggies) for you. Also in larger hotels without restaurants they have found delicious veggie dishes and wonderful sorbets for us. These little boutique hotels are usually helpless, and hopeless in this department.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Egg on the face

My husband, who is the least adventurous diner you'll ever meet, lived on omelettes and frites for a whole week in Paris. He raved about the omelettes -- allowed them to add cheese or ham -- and the fries. I'm glad he didn't have his cholesterol checked when he got home.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Paige

Hello! One of my favorite things to eat in Paris is a tomato, mozzarella and basil panini. Yum! They grill them, so they're hot, flat and crunchy. There are little shops all over Paris that sell them.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Susan

Dear Paige,<BR><BR>We really enjoyed lunch at the resaurant on the top floor of Samartaine department store.<BR><BR>The food is mid priced,with good fish and some veggie choices. It's not sophisticated, but we went for the view.<BR><BR>If you reserve a day or two ahead of time and ask for a window seat, you can enjoy your lunch looking over Notre Dame, Ste Chappelle and the Seine. After touring these areas in the morning, we walked to the store and enjoyed a relaxing 90 minute lunch reflecting on the beauty and majesty of these places.<BR><BR>A bonus, when you leave, you can stop along any of the floors to pick up some nice things. The restaurant was very close to the stationary department, and I found some interesting French cards to bring back as gifts.<BR><BR>Hope you enjoy your trip.<BR><BR>Susan

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:14 AM
RnR

Just a repeat, ok: do look at the Cheap Eats book - and try one or two of the places she suggests. Most are really informal places, with an emphasis on decidedly non-fancy food at bargain prices. The author indicates what she calls the splurge places, those where you'll be spending more. One may easily avoid them. We've been to Paris oodles of times, and normally focused on two and three stars - and this last time we stuck to the Cheap Eats book, and loved every meal!!!! And our credit card bills were sooooo reasonable later on. For some reason, I was able to use the book and apply some restraint, and had a good outcome. Next time, my revenge: Taillevent et al, I shall spend every last dime!!! But for you, Cheap Eats, with my best wishes for a saner trip.