Paris taxi maximum passengers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are four adults, 3 with 22 inch carr-on and the 4th with a 24 inch suitcase. Will one taxi take the four of us and our luggage to the hotel? We have an offer of a reserved taxi ubt if a taxi will only accommodate 3 and luggage, we will opt for a shuttle. Are there official taxi restrictions or is it a case-by-case basis? Thanks.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 06:41 AM
ron

We were 4 with more luggage than that. We simply queued at the taxi rank; when we got to the front of the line, the dispatcher called forward the first mini-van taxi for us.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 09:34 AM

I don't think there is any official rule a taxi can't take a certain number, it's just up to the driver as to what fits. There is a rule that there are surcharges in the rates after the 3rd passenger. I think there is a regulation they do not have to accept animals if they don't want, and I think the regulation is also that they do not HAVE to accept 4+ passengers, but they can.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 09:48 AM

I am almost certain that four is maX.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Be aware cabs charge extra for luggage. I can't remember exactly the amount (sorry, I sure someone will know) but everytime we've taken a taxi from the a/p or Gare de Nord with luggage they charged extra for the luggage.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Intrepid

As someone stated above..there are various sizes of taxi in operation in Paris. Max depends on how many the driver can fit into the car along with the luggage. Assume you are taking the taxi from.....the airport???? Even if there were "official" restrictions I assure you there may not be anyone around to enforce them...you donp;t say how much the reserved taxi is going to cost...it might help to know that.

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 11:49 AM

There are big taxis and little taxis. When we have been in Paris (4 of us, and my 2 teenage sons are adult size and way bigger than me), we have used a large taxi. We just got in line at the train station, and the guy in charge got one. Going to the airport, we have had the concierge call the day before and reserve one to pick us up.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 11:44 PM

Some taxis won't take more than 3 passengers. It's happened to me a few times, although usually if one driver won't take 4 people, you soon find one that will.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 10:41 AM

Since there are only 4 adults, it doesn't matter in this case if four is the maximum, I guess. However, I do think some of those minivans will take 5 passengers.

I looked up some of the official rules and rates and some are rather interesting rights:

As a passenger, you have the right to choose the route, the right to choose the radio station (I like that one), and the right to choose whatever taxi you want in a line, you do not have to take the one at the head (although customarily you would).

The drivers can refuse to take someone who wants to go outside his area, someone with an animal (except seeing eye dogs), someone who is drunk, someone who wants to follow a funeral procession, someone not going the same way as his garage within 30 minutes of his shift end, and they can forbid smoking in the car and can ask for a deposit if you ask them to wait for you somewhere. I see nothing about limiting the number of passengers.

Yes, they do charge for baggage, but there's no choice on that if you have some. It's 0.90 euro per bag of more than 5 kg.