Paris: Taxi for 5

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family will be in Paris in November. We usually use the bus/metro, but there may be times we'll want to take a cab. To/From CDG, I'm pretty sure the best bet will be a taxi, given that we'll have 5 adults plus luggage. When we arrive, do we simply proceed to the taxi stand and request a larger vehicle? Or can we make arrangements ahead of time? (There 's also the Roissy Bus, but the cab will drop us off right at our apartment)

When in the city, we'll be staying at Palais Royal so most of our travel will be in the central core. I downloaded the Paris Taxi APP but it was unable to send me a confirmation code to my U.S. phone. Will that be a problem when I'm actually in Paris? I did a mid-afternoon test with Uber and they said there were no available vehicles. I presume a cab is much the same: I have to call for a larger vehicle and then wait for it to arrive...right?

Thanks to taxi fans and aficionados for any help you can provide!
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 11:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>When we arrive, do we simply proceed to the taxi stand<<

Yes -- Staff at the head of the taxi queue will assign you to a van-sized taxi. No problem at all.
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 11:16 AM

Yes, when you arrive you just go to the taxi stand at CDG and ask for a larger cab. No, you don't need to reserve this ahead.

I don't use taxis in Paris but suspect you cannot if you are using a US phone number and expect them to text you. Unless they allow you to input the country code etc. It won't be any different, you have the same phone number. I have a phone I always use in Europe with a French SIM card and French phone number so don't have that problem. Someone else will know this better than me, I'm sure.

What app are you using, anyway? There are lots of them, are you using G7?
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 12:09 PM

All you have to do is indicate to the person manning the taxi stand that you have 5 people + luggage and you will ASAP be directed to an appropriate-sized taxi. No problem at all.

If taking cabs within the city, call G7 (they have an English-speaking line if you need it) and ask for a cab. They will almost always be 5-10 minutes early, and will call or text you when the driver is approaching - but like Christina, I don't know if they can do that to a U.S. number - I have a French phone and number.
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. Most helpful. I suspected the U.S. phone was going to be a problem. I may do the French Sim card thing when I'm there. More research......yay!!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 12:34 PM

I kind of suspect that if G7 has an English phone line, they are used to people with U.S.-based phones. They have a pretty comprehensive website - I'm sure someone there can answer your question. If you need a French SIM, that's easy enough to obtain.
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 01:02 PM

Taxi G7 English-speaking operator +33 1 41 27 66 99
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 01:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You can also download the G7 app on your phone, if your phone works in France.
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 09:33 PM

I have G7, Uber, Taxify and Kapten all on my US phone which I use in airplane mode (using WiFi) in Paris. They all text when they arrive. My preference is Kapten. It always seems to have better service. You can request a Van from the app.
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 08:45 AM

Belinda-thanks for the heads up on Kapten! Do you use a US credit card on your file to pay them as well?
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 02:19 PM

See my new thread describing an experience with a taxi last month.
Paris Taxi Attempted Scam?

I've hever heard of this happening before, so not sure whether this was unusual or something to watch out for. I've encountered grumpy Paris taxi drivers in the past, but never an attempt to overcharge.