Paris Sections 1 to 8

Apr 6th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Paris Sections 1 to 8

How do you find a hotel in a lively section of Paris, who knows what sections 1 thru 8 means ? And is one the best section area ?
Going to Paris in May-springtime. Any recommendations for non-pricey, great food restaurants ? Thinking of staying at the Hotel Castille, on Cambon Ave. thanks
Apr 6th, 2011, 10:57 AM

I assume you mean the arrondissements? 1-8 are the inner districts of Paris
Here's a map of where they are
http://www.planetware.com/map/france...-map-f-f20.htm
Apr 6th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

I guess I mean the closest section to the center of Paris, would that be a good spot for lively ? thanks so much
Apr 6th, 2011, 11:05 AM

It's just a part of Paris, it's like any city that is divided into districts or parts in some way, often numbered. They do that in London and Prague, also, you know. Never heard them called sections, that isn't usually the term used for them.

There are lot of hotel websites where you can search by area of the city, if you use comprehensive ones like Expedia or www.booking.com Guidebooks give recommendations or suggestions by area, also. I know the city well so know where I want to stay and then look for hotels in that area by various methods. When I first went and didn't know it that well, I read a guidebook so I understood what that meant and decided which part appealed to me.
Apr 6th, 2011, 11:26 AM

There are 20 arrondissements or districts in Paris (kind of like zip code areas but not really).

1 thru 8 are the most central.

There is no such thing as a "best" arrondissement, though the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th are favorites of many here at Fodors.

Here is a website where you can read a little about each to get a flavor and see what matches your interest and personality:

http://www.parislogue.com/paris-neighborhoods

Hotel Castille is in the Madeleine neighborhood, not a bad location but there are many other neighborhoods/districts that may suit you better - see website above.
Apr 6th, 2011, 11:42 AM

Each arrondissement has a different flavor. I prefer the higher numbered arrondissements, but if I had to choose my 'top 3' out of the ones mentioned, I would pick 1-3-4.
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:40 PM

I thought Section 8 was a clinical diagnosis that exempted you from military duty . . . or was that only in M*A*S*H?

Dianne -- learn the terminology, it'll get you better advice (there's no Metro in London, there's no Underground in NYC, there's no Subway in Paris). Each arrondissement is numbered and the shorthand in French is #e -- like 4th arrondissement is the 4e, 5th is 5e, etc.

What's non-pricey? France can be very much a get-what-you-pay-for restaurant scene, but the average brasserie will have good food for less than $20/entree. There's a good Vietnamese restaurant about 2-3 blocks from Shakespeare Books in the 6e (I think? Maybe Shakespeare books is in the 5e) that I'm sure someone on this board will know by name. Shakespeare Books has its own history and can be interesting in its own right for English-speaking visitors.

We stayed on the Ile St. Louis, which is in the 4e and about thisclose to Notre Dame.
Apr 6th, 2011, 02:41 PM

I actually eat on the Champs Elysées(Paris 8)several days a week for 6.60€ in a Chinese hole-in-the-wall which I think is excellent.

If you really know where to look, any area can be cheap.
Apr 6th, 2011, 04:27 PM

We stay in a studio in the 9th and love it . Been there 3 years running. Bus across the street takes us to the Louvre. 1.30Euro each way. I would recommend looking at brasseries and checking out their posted menu, usually on a chalk board in front. Most have good food. Look for ones that are near full around eating time. That is a good indicator. I am like Kerouac, I like the outer arrondissements. More like Paris and food is better and cheaper.
Apr 6th, 2011, 04:42 PM

We stayed at the Castell Hotel on rue Cambon last summer and really enjoyed it. There are 2 cafes' on rue Cambon down the street from the hotel that are not too expensive and the food is okay.