Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What area of Paris is best to find a hotel in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day all
We will be in Paris for 4 nights next April and we are confused by the district numbers and which area would be good to find a hotel in for this length stay. We would like to be near some places to eat and not too far from the main sites, paying 80 - 100 euros per night.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Rosie
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:02 AM

Typing in "Paris Hotels" in the SEARCH box above would yield more than a TON of posts about Paris hotels and arrondisements.

Good luck and g'day.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:12 AM

Also, taking a minute to read the actual Fodors guidebook information and taking a look at the map would be helpful. You can do all for free by clicking the Destination tab above, choosing Paris and starting to read.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:56 AM

Understanding arrondisements is pretty easy. They start with the 1st in the middle of Paris where the Louvre is located then swirl around in a clockwise fashion like a snail's shell.

Most recommend staying in districts 1-7 for a first trip to Paris as they are the most centrally located of the 20 districts and have most of what you will want to see as a tourist. Many who go often stay in some of the outer arrondisements.

I think you will enjoy 1, 3, 5 for history, older architecture, and narrow paved streets or the 6, 7 for chic shopping, grand boulevards and tourist sights.

You need to research the sights using a guide book or use the search box above type in "arrondisements" to get a feel for what each has to offer so you will stay near what interests you most since you only have four days.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sooo much AMWOSU.... that helps a lot. At least know now and we can make an informed choice.
The term Marais and Left Bank etc don't mean much when you haven't been there and most maps only have numbers or "arrondisements".
Thanks again
Rosie
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:15 AM

The Seine cuts Paris in half and I think of the "left bank" as the "lower bank" so I'm not confused.

There have been some great summaries on this message board as to what you can expect of each arrondisement. Just dig a little.

Definitely use the Destinations section above as starrsville suggested to figure out which sights will be most important to you then stay near them so you can either walk or take the most direct metro routes possible.

With only four days I wouldn't stay "way out" to save money then be required to waste time traveling into the central part of the city.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Rd

We always choose hotels close to the Eiffel Tower, Ramada, Mercure Toer Eiffel etc. They are generally close to the Tower, the Seine, Metro and cafe's.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:32 AM

We stayed in the 7th on our first (and only) trip to Paris last November and were quite pleased. We stayed near Rue Cler in the Hotel du Champ de Mars. We had a nice view of the top of the Eiffel Tower, and great restaurants and cafes were everywhere. We were also close to several metro stops and a short walk to the Invalides or the Eiffel Tower.

Another area I would love to stay in is the 6th, and when I go back to Paris I will be looking around there for a hotel. There are lots of great shops and restaurants and its in a great location.

Tracy
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:38 AM
ira

Hi R,

>..paying 80 - 100 euros per night..

Is that pp or per dbl room?