Search

Paris Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Hotel

Need a reasonably priced hotel in Paris in February for myself and my two sons (27, & 16). Would like to be near #1 District.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 01:30 PM

please say what you would like to spend.
One room or two?
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 01:34 PM

You don't say why you've chosen the first arrondissement as your desired location. But, if it's because it is very central, you may want to reconsider.

It's not that there's anything wrong with the first, and there are some nice areas there to stay. But the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and to some extent 8th and 9th are much more popular for hotel locations. These areas all have their own charms and many budget hotels.

http://www.parisnet.net/parismap.html

gives a map of paris and a description of each of the arrondissements so that you could choose one that suits your tastes. In all you will likely be near a metro stop so access to all the city's sites will be easy.

Also, if you just search this forum (search box is up top) for PARIS AND BUDGET AND HOTEL you will find many suggestions of hotels that regulars to Paris love!
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 01:46 PM

I happened to see your posting on the USA board --
How in the world do you plan a trip tp Paris??
I would like to take by only grand-dau next year.(she will be 16).I am an experienced traveler but only in the US..and feel overwhelmed just thinking about plannng a Paris trip...
Why did you choose Feb. ???
Maybe President's Day vacation for schools. ??? for your 16 yr. old??
Excuse me for invading "your" post but other posters may need the info also???

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 02:03 PM

HI traveler24--some very concrete advice is to take a couple of travel guides on Paris out of the library and then to see what--if any--places interest you. If you are old enough to have a granddaughter and have not yet gone to Europe--or maybe it is just Paris, I don't want to presume--there must be a reason and you might want to think about that before trying to plan a trip, esp why the idea of going there feels "overwhelming". However, except for needing a passport and having to be patient enough to negotiate a place where not everyone speaks English, it is really no different than planning any trip. Travel anywhere requires some flexibility and if you are an experienced traveler in the US, there should be plenty of overlap in your ability to do it!!
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 02:32 PM

traveler24 - You will probably get more help if you post a separate topic with your concerns, but the previous advice is right. It's really no different from planning a trip in the US. It's just another big city (from a planning point of view - as a city it's unique and spectacular!).

When you repost, please include specifics of what overwhelms you. Paris is a very easy city for a first trip to Europe.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

To Traveler24, I went to Paris/London last Feb. and just got back from London Monday and took both my sons on those trips too. I planned them entirely myself by reading guidebooks, using the Internet and getting great tips from this website and Frommer's.com. I was nervous about the first trip over to Europe because I had never been there, and really did my homework, but everything went very smoothly and I felt at ease. This time going to London, I took the Tube from the airport, got around just great and had a super time. I would be glad to tell you all about this - feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. Oh- I picked Feb. because it was alot cheaper and not crowded. This year, I'm in online school and I have to go when I have a break from class. I loved planning the trip myself and it was half the fun.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

I only picked #1 because we stayed there the first time we went. I'm not picky about where I stay. We stayed last week at a breakfast and board in London because of the price, and I was pleasantly surprised. We were only there to sleep and I couldn't see paying for all the extras you get with a large hotel. Around $200 a night if I could find a triple room for that. Just want to be in a good area and close to the Metro.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Someone compiled this list of "triples":

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34478609