Search

Paris in 5 days

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris in 5 days

Hi! I will be traveling to Paris around Thanksgiving weekend for 5 days. I would appreciate if there are any suggestions on where to stay (preferred small but centralized hotels) and what to see/do/eat during my short trip. Thanks for your all help.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 04:31 PM

I don't mean to be rude and I realize this must be your first post here, but you give us nothing to go by. Certainly you know something about Paris and the types of things you might want to do or are interested in.
For example, would it be silly for someone to say, "you might want to see the Eiffel Tower"? There are literally thousands of detailed posts about your topics, and if you do a search here, we won't be rambling on for hours repeating all the things everyone has already said. But posters here will be happy to answer specific questions you have.

You don't even tell us if you've ever been to Paris before, what your budget is, or what your interests are.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 06:55 PM

As Patrick said, we need more info from you. However, my sister visited me for approx. 1 week in Paris (I was there for a month) and I could clip out that portion of my trip report and e-mail it to you. If interested, e-mail me at [email protected]. Paris can be overwhelming for such a short visit, but we covered many of the highlights (that is, what you've always read about). Re restaurants: You can type in Paris restaurants in the search area of this forum and come up with a ton of ideas and prices. I rented an apartment in the 7th and you'll also find many recommendations for hotels all over Paris. All of central Paris is easily accessible via metro so the area you stay in isn't that important.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 03:04 AM
ira

Hi Chenel,

Look up the Hotel Bonaparte at 61 rue Bonaparte on http://pagesjaunes.voila.fr/pj.cgi

This is where we always stay when in Paris.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 06:22 AM

HI
If you click on Destinations at the top of the page, you will find lots of great info on Paris, sightseeing, hotels and restaurants with comments from clients. There's even a suggestion for an itinerary.

You will need a good guidebook and a map. Most bookstores carry or can order Streetwise Paris (map). Browse among the Paris guidebooks and see which one appeals to you. If you like a lot of historical and cultural information, consider the Michelin Green Guide, or the Blue Guide.
I like Fodor's guidebook for Paris , and Frommers is also good. Frommers, Rick Steves, and Lonely Planet books (and websites) are especially good if budget is one of your considerations.

I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

I guess you can tell that this is my first time posting here...It would also be my first time visiting Paris. I have been looking for a travel package (including airfare and hotel). So far, I have found one package around $500 for RT from JFK and staying at the Residence Montparnesse. I don't know which area would be best to stay at since I will not be renting a hotel. I'm looking for something quaint but centralized for public transportation. Yes, I would be interested in seeing the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre. But I also want to "feel" Paris, walking along the Seine River, sipping coffee at cafes, finding the best bakery, visiting some literary sites, gardens, etc. There's so much to do but I have only ~5 days to really experience Paris. Thanks for your response.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 08:57 AM
ira

Hi Chenel,

You have a good price on your package. If the hotel is the one on rue Stanislas, you are at the edge of the 5th,6th and 14th. It is a bit out of the way, but you have 2 metro stops close to the hotel.

You are not far from the Luxembourg Gardens and can walk to Notre Dame from where you are.

Try www.multimap.com for a map of the city and your location.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 09:17 AM

"What to do" - I try to go on (inexpensive) walking tours and you can check out www.paris-walks.com for an assortment of Paris walks. They cover a wide range of venues - we have taken one in the Marais, Montmatre, Latin Quarter, and also in the cemetery Pere Lachiese. They cost 10E - they have a variety of guides, some of which are better than others, but you will get stories and information not usually found in the guidebooks. So pick a part of the city that interests you and go for it!
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 09:51 AM

If it's a good package, go for it. I stay very near that hotel quite often and really like the area. It is very convenient for restaurants, cafes, and public transportation. I don't consider it out of the way myself, but it is about one mile from the Seine. It is what I consider central and small enough.

However, I don't believe that hotel is "quaint". I've viewed its info online before, and it looks like a nicely renovated hotel, but not "quaint". VERY few hotels in Paris are what I'd call quaint, and often you don't really want quaint, if you know what I mean. Sometimes newly renovated rooms, good bathrooms, good elevator, etc are nice.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 10:15 AM

Two unhappy customers on www.tripadvisor.com..
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 11:28 AM

Hi Chenel,

The package sounds like a good deal. However, my husband and I stayed at a place that was very basic, but clean, friendly, economical and well located called Le Phenix. It was about 70 euros a night including breakfast and it is literally steps away the Champs Elysee and Arc de Triomphe. You will definitely want to get a weekly Metro pass, as you can see a lot that way. Keep in mind that you need to hang on to your metro ticket at all times and often have to put it in a slot upon exiting as well as entering. My personal favorite guide is The Eyewitness Guide. Sightseeing suggestions in general is a tall order. Don't miss MonMartre, the Eiffel Tower, or Notre Dame..but you probably knew that. If possible, reserve a day for Versailles. It is outside the city so you will need to plan minimum 1/2 day for this excursion. If you get a Metro ticket for the city limits you will still need to pay extra to get there on the RER (suburban train service). As for eating the options are endless. I lived there for 6 months and lived half of it near Grands Boulevards metro where you can find an assortment of eating places and some neat shops. Outside the metro station is a creperie that was quite popular with the locals and open quite late. Get your souvenirs near the metro stop Louvre-Rivoli if you can.