Paris Pass

Old Apr 8th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Pass

Hi we are on a 4 days visit to Paris with 2 kids (5 & 8 years Old). practically We have 3 days in Paris, we are planning to take the 2 days Paris pass and one day we plan to spend in Disney. On next day we have to fly off from CDG at 9:45 am.
* Any comments on the usefulness of the Paris Pass? Is it worth it?
* secondly any recommendations for Disney?
Cheers
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 02:54 PM

The Paris Pass is a complete and utter rip off. It is not a pass per se but rather a collection of tickets and other passes, none of which cannot otherwise be purchased at far lower cost.

For Disney, assuming you are only going for the day, the adults should purchase a zone 1-5 Mobilis pass - 16.60€ which lets you travel anywhere you might like to go for the day.

Consider a one day Paris Visite for the children, there is no child fare for the Mobilis. At 11.75€, the Paris Visite also gives you a 10€ reduction in the price of their Disney tickets.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 02:57 PM

As I think about it, the one day Paris Visite pass for adults at 23.50€ would cost less than a Mobilis pass if you used it to save 10€ off of the price of Disney tickets.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

So the Mobilis pass is different from Paris Visite Pass?

Secondly, what should be the strategy if we buy Mobilis or Paris Visite Pass?

And what about the entrance to Versaillis, Louvre Museum, Grevin Wax Museum, Notre Dame Cathedral, River cruise and Eifil Tower?

wont it cost more if we try to buy the seperate entrance tickets for these places? and the long ques?
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Wont the Paris Pass be more hassle free?
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

and wouldnt Paris Pass be more cheap and swift in comparison to individual tickets purchase?
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 04:35 PM

Secondly, what should be the strategy if we buy Mobilis or Paris Visite Pass?

The strategy is always to avoid wasting money by accurately understanding your needs and directing your euros to meeting those specific needs.

and wouldnt Paris Pass be more cheap and swift in comparison to individual tickets purchase?

You are paying a big premium for nothing other than what you can yourself otherwise purchase. Plus, there is no way anyone could possibly utilize what is contained within the Paris Pass during the short time frame alloted for its usage.

You should decide what is important and what it is you want to do, realistically, during your time in Paris. Look at the cost associated with your chosen activities and compare that against the cost of a Paris Pass.

I have never seen any itinerary, realistically formulated, that would make the Paris Pass even remotely a good purchase.

The Paris Visite itself is very overpriced. Consider a group of 10 tickets t+ for 14.10€ vs. the cost of a 3 day Paris Visite pass at 24.80€.

The Paris Museum Pass, contained in the Paris Pass, can be a value for some but probably not someone with young children in tow. You are not going to spend sufficient time in museums to warrant its cost.

Don´t fall for the hype of the Paris Pass. It is not in your interest to purchase one.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 11:32 PM
Original Poster

So all of these 3 passes are diffirent?
Mobilis pass,
Paris Visite Pass and
Paris Pass?

I think you recommends Paris Visite Pass?
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 07:11 AM

Paris Pass has a transportation component that may if you go into outer zones make it a viable deal but not for the average traveler - in any case it is MUCH more viable than the London Pass, which for the average traveler who may buy it naively, is a comlete rip-off for them - now if you have time and energy to visit or do everything possible on The London Pass then it could be a great deal - and as tex and janis say above many major museums in London are free.

In Paris many museums are half off on Sundays and like the Louvre free on the first Sunday of each month (and super mobbed) and senior over 59 in France and OAP 60 and over I believe in England also often get reduced rates.

The Paris Museum Pass is often a great deal if going to several major museums in the coverage period and you get priority entry at places like Versailles I believe - you can come and go as much as you like - there are many places in Paris I would have never paid to enter but I had a valid pass so I did and found them really neat. (Conciergerie; Cluny; Pompidou Modern Art Museum, etc. But that Paris Museum Pass at any participating museum.

http://en.parismuseumpass.com/
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 07:56 AM

Paris Pass has a transportation component that may if you go into outer zones make it a viable deal

Where are you getting this information PalenQ? The Paris Pass contains a zone 1-3 Paris Visite pass which is little more than Paris itself. A zone 1-3 Paris Visite pass will not take you to the ¨outer zones¨ which are zones 4-5. Zones 4-5 include the airports, Versailles, Disney, Fontainebleau, Chantilly, and Vaux le Vicomte.

Some of these locations are included in the Paris Museum Pass but you´ll pay extra to reach them if you purchase a Paris Pass.

In Paris many museums are half off on Sundays and like the Louvre free on the first Sunday of each month (and super mobbed) and senior over 59 in France

PalenQ, maybe you could give us a list of Paris museums offering half off on Sundays because I don´t know of any. Le Louvre and Musée d´Orsay certainly do not. You are correct about fee entrance on the first Sunday of each month but where specifically do museums offer reduced rates to seniors over 59?
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 08:02 AM

Sarastro - I copied this from the other day and should have deleted the transortation component bit from your correction but forgot.

Traditionally Paris museums were half off on Sundays but I guess I need to update by info on that and will take not - you are saying the folks over 60 no longer get reduced admissions - well I have to check a lot and things have changed since I've quit going to Paris museums and just like walking around.

I appreciate your corrections as wish to give only the most up to date info - what I said about museums once was the case not that long ago - I'll note.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 08:07 AM

the Louvre is not free on first Sundays from April thru September the site says.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 09:00 AM

I've never heard of Paris museums ever giving reduced rates to people age 60+. I"ve only seen some reductions or free entry for young ages. OF course, there are sometimes special conditions for certain local residents who have some govt cards (unemployed, etc.), but not just everyone 60+. Maybe it was a couple decades ago, don't know.

I agree that a Paris Visite for zones 1-3 isn't useful to anyone for going into outer zones as there isn't anything in zone 3 that anyone would want to go to that I can think of. Zone 4-5, yes, but not 3.

I don't even know where people hear about the Paris Pass, it's always surprised me that people seem to know about it but not its basic components. I don't know who is advertising it or where. I think it is mentioned on the Paris tourist Info website, though, but most people never go there. It's funny they say buying it gives you "free transport" and "free entry" even though you are paying for the museum pass and Paris Visite, so why is it free.

Mobilis isn't really a "pass" exactly, it's just a one-day unlimited travel ticket, a lot of cities have things like that.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 09:40 AM

the Paris Pass and Visite thing are autmatically mentioned by travel agents as needed things to see sights and get around cheaply though as sarastro and christina have shown it does not usually do either.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 12:07 PM

As there has been so much discussion about purchases which should be avoided (Paris Pass being the top of the list), I would like to offer alternatives which are cost effective.

1. I you like museums, purchase a Paris Museum Pass.

2. Spending time in museums means you will not need an expensive transportation solution - purchase a group of 10 tickets t+ for only 14.10€. These may be shared among family members. Tickets t+ for those under 12 are half price.

3. Everyone should take a Seine river cruise. I prefer the Vedettes du Pont Neuf. They sell discounted tickets on their website:

http://vedettesdupontneuf.com/home/

4. The OP has children 5 & 8 - not really a group than will want to spend a lot of time in museums. Take them to the Jardin d´Acclimatation in Bois de Boulogne:

http://www.jardindacclimatation.fr/

5. Another great spot for kids is the Jardin des Plantes with two attractions:

a. the Ménagerie or small zoo

http://www.mnhn.fr/fr/visitez/lieux/...storique-paris

b. Museum of Natural History

http://www.france.fr/en/museums/nati...l-history.html

6. You could also take them for a barge ride on the Canal de St Martin and let them watch the operation of the locks.

http://www.pariscanal.com/accueil/ca...dividuels.aspx

You can do all of these things and spend much less than you would on a Paris Pass.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 02:03 PM

4. The OP has children 5 & 8 - not really a group than will want to spend a lot of time in museums.>

and besides the other superb things sarastro mentions my kid at age 7 or so loved going to the Tuileries Gardens and the circular basin of water were kids can rent boats and then sail them around the pond - parents can sit back in those hard wrought-iron chairs and watch the kiddies have fun (and also drink a beer or some wine in my case) - if I recall right the smallwooden boats for rental have small motors on them - anyway for ages a great thing for Parisian kids and visitors' kids to do - an iconic thing to do in Paris with kids.

Fodor's has a nice rundown on free things to do with kids in Paris:

http://www.fodors.com/news/story_5657.html
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 02:17 PM

Tickets, passes and fares explained (though not the Paris Pass):

http://vianavigo.com/en/tickets-and-fares/
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 02:23 PM

Also, Chantilly is beyond zone 5 and I can think of several nice places to visit in zone 3.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 05:11 PM

I can't see kids that age loving Chantilly - gthe Creme maybe bugt to them just another chateau - unless of course they are into huge steeds prancing around an indoor arena. That i guess could be fun for them.