Paris or Rome in the Spring?

Jul 28th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Paris or Rome in the Spring?

Tough choices ...

I can do a week in *Paris* at the end of March ... Tunisia ... then a week in *Rome* in mid April

or vice versa.

I can't decide!!! Which city comes to life the most in April versus March?

*Arguments for Paris first

Paris will have more opera and ballet performances in March that I want to see (La Veuve joyeuse, La Bayadère, Dances at a Gathering / Appartament); April only has one (La Bayadère).

My French will be better by the time I get to Tunisia

*Arguments for Rome first*

I'll arrive Friday morning and be severely jet lagged, so the first weekend will be low-key. Rome has less gay nightlife.

Giverny won't be open until April.

After two weeks in Tunisia, I'll speak much better French by the time I get to Paris.

Any opinions, gang? Or does it not really matter?
Jul 28th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

I realize that weather can be pretty random either way, but essentially I'm thinking: would I rather have Paris in the Rain and Rome in the Sunshine, or Rome in the Rain and Paris in the Sunshine?
Jul 28th, 2011, 05:54 PM

Don't have an answer for you, but I think it's a delightful problem.
And you lay out the considerations admirably!
Jul 28th, 2011, 06:13 PM

I think you've come across the answer in your Paris section - there are more performances on in March than April. If these are operas and ballets you really want to see, then I'd say Paris is ranking as the first port of call on your trip. It is a shame that Giverny won't be open until April, but there's an instant excuse for planning the next trip already! Plus Musee de l'Orangerie has the next best thing to the gardens ;0

You're right about gay nightlife in Rome - no real area as in Paris, and clubs/discos move around with great frequency, often requiring a membership card (but you can get these at the door, they just cost a bit). The area around Pyramide has discos/clubs (Alibi, Voice) as well as bars (Essence) and a few cruising bars. Paris, I think you probably already have covered!

As for weather, well yes it could be the case that if you choose Paris first you'll likely get sunshine in Rome...but you know how fickle Spring weather can be.
Jul 29th, 2011, 03:33 AM

if your trip is near Easter, Rome might be super-crowded, so I would check on that

Even with Giverny not open, there are so many great day trips from Paris that you could take: Versailles, Reims, Chartres are a few

Don't really think you can go wrong, but I love Paris!!
Jul 29th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

I"m definitely planning on avoiding Rome during Holy Week!
Jul 29th, 2011, 05:23 PM
JBX

Yes, with Easter falling on 4/12 next year, you definitely should avoid Rome during the week before and after. Answer seems obvious ...... it's Gay Paree !!!
Jul 30th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

How funny - I posted on another forum and got the 100% opposite response! But the clincher for me was this: Spring has a big impact on Paris, with the flowers and the gardens and Versailles and Giverny ... while Spring in Rome is not so dramatic. Or so they say. Although still nice, I would think. So I'll start in Rome, leave on Palm Sunday for Tunisia, and wrap up my adventure in Paris in mid April.
Jul 30th, 2011, 01:56 AM

Normally I would say start in Rome where it will be warmer in March, and that is apparently what you are doing. But if you are really interested in going to the operas that are only playing in Paris in March, that might be the deciding factor.
Jul 31st, 2011, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

I'm a bit more of a philistine than the post suggests. I love theater and modern dance, but haven't seen an opera or ballet at one of the major houses ... it sounds like a cool experience, and the Palais Garnier looks incredible. That was one point in favor of going during opera season, bit not enough to swing my decision.
Jul 31st, 2011, 06:44 PM

I would go to Rome in March to avoid the Easter crowds and Paris will be prettier in April.

Search this Thread