Paris Marais District

Search

Paris Marais District

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Marais District

Any suggestions for a medium priced hotel [ with elevator ] not far from the metro? Not too concerned about price but location and small intimate Parisian accommodation rather than chain type hotel. Would like to try Marais instead of Left Bank which we know fairly well. Any suggestions even alternate location welcome.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:39 PM

we stayed at the hotel turenne on rue turenne (may be misspelled)...it is a libertel hotel...they have a web site...samll rooms but very nice...near metro in marais...great restaurant next door--asian
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:21 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Castex two years ago and thought it was a steal at the price. <BR>Since then they have gutted the interior and doubled the rates. <BR>The location is great, but I cannot vouch for value for money.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:37 PM

The Hotel Jeanne D'Arc at Rue de Jarente is very reasonably priced 3-star hotel in a quiet street (Rue de Jarente) and conveniently located. It's near the Place des Vosges and St Paul metro station. It's always fully booked so try to book way in advance.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 05:06 AM

Try Hotel de la Bretonnerie at 22 rue Ste Croix de la Bretonnerie. It is a great location in the marais. It does have an elevator and is a &quot;quaint&quot; intimate hotel. You are near two metro stops; Hotel de Ville or Rambuteau. It is an easy walk from the RER at Chatelet. It is located between Pompidou Center and Place des Vosges. (closer to Pompidou) We love the marais.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 12:15 PM

Caron de Beaumarchais is fine little hotel. It is near the Seine with bridge access to the Ile St. Louis, Notre Dame, etc. Staff very solicitous. Rooms are quite small but charming, has A/C, elevator--about $140/night.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:26 AM

I would have to agree about the Caron de Beaumarchais. I thought that the location was great, and the staff could not have been more helpful. Yes, the rooms were a bit small.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:55 AM
aj

pipsi,<BR><BR>I would like to second Grand Hotel Jeanne d Arc. We will be making our 4th stay there in May. We love the hotel and the area. It is very close to St. Paul metro stop. Also the Place St. Catherine behind the hotel is a great place to sit and eat or have a Kir. The Marais is a wonderful area and I know you will really enjoy yourself. Be sure and walk to the Jewish area and sample some of the wonderful food. The address is 3 rue de Jarenete,75004 Paris, France. The cost is 78 euro, double, per night.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:30 AM

Just stayed at Hotel Castex the first weekend in April. It wasn't impressive. The rooms were just okay, nothing fantastic or exciting. We didn't have any hot water for our shower, so had to use the bathtub across the hall. The meagre breakfast isn't included in the 120E, so they charge an astouding 8E for it (don't pay for it, isn't not worth it, no hot food, or even decent croissants). <BR><BR>The location is good, but it isn't high on my list and I can't in good conscience recommend it to others.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:23 AM

I've never seen anything but positive comments about the Grand Hotel Jeanne d Arc. While I've never stayed there, I checked it out a few years ago and it looks very nice. I especially loved the location, on a small charming square. <BR><BR>The Castex underwent another remodel? Interesting. That was the first place I ever stayed in Paris, back in 1987, based on a reader's recommendation in Frommer's book. It was a no-star hotel back then and was really inexpensive, something like $25/night. It also had a lot of funky character/charm. Stopped by to look at it on a subsequent trip and it had been remodeled: modern and nicer, but sans the funky charm (and super-low price.)
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the hotel suggestions. A friend recommended Hotel St. Paul le Marais . Anyone stayed there?
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:08 PM

Another recommendation for the Hotel de la Bretonnerie. We had a lovely stay. It is a good location and the staff is very helpful.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:14 PM

A little nervous that nobody has mentioned Hotel de Nice, seeing as how I've got reservations there next month.<BR><BR>Good? Bad? Romantic?<BR><BR>Thanks.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 02:08 PM

Matt, we stayed at Hotel de Nice about 9 or 10 years ago. We had a room with windows on the square next door and it was very noisy late into the night. It was July so it was hot, and with no air conditioning, we had to leave the windows open. I sincerely don't want to rain on your parade, but I would suggest you try to request a quiet room so you can sleep at night. Other than that it was ok. I hope you have a great time.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:08 PM

pipsil, I stayed at the Hotel St. Paul le Marais in 1996, and I thought it was good value for the money. (Normally, I wouldn't answer with such old information, but since no one else has responded to your question about that particular hotel so far, I figured even old information is better than none.) The location was good, the staff was friendly and helpful, and there's an elevator. Only drawback: my single room was the smallest I've ever stayed in (and I've stayed in a lot of small Paris hotel rooms): the chair had to be pushed in all the way under the desk before I could open the armoire!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:27 PM

Matt
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:33 PM

Matt - I stayed in the Hotel de Nice about four years ago in March. I really enjoyed it - it is very quaint, particularly the decor! It was about the largest room I ever had in Paris. To me that is sort of the border of the Marais but it is very convenient to the buses, Metro, etc. I was alone so I can't say it was romantic! One night it was quite noisy as my room faced the little square where some people congregated pretty late. But of all the hotels I have stayed in, it is about the only one I would every considering going back to (of course, I have a few hundred to try first).<BR>Mara
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:42 PM

aj -- when will you be there? We're staying for our last 3 nights after a trip through the South of France in May, on the 19th- leaving the 22nd. We checked it out in '98, spent a good bit of time in the Marais again last year (although it we stayed across the river in St.Germain) and decided to try it this time. (We really enjoy the Marais, and after all that time in the country, we're wanting to be in the city to end our trip. AND to eat again at Les Fous d'en Face, which we really enjoyed!)
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:56 PM

Matt,<BR> We stayed at the Hotel de Nice many years ago and enjoyed it. It was very reasonable I thought for the great location. We are returning there this summer and hope it has stayed the same. Have a great time!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 10:33 PM

capo.<BR>Check this out. They pimped up the interior and went from euro 50 to euro 120 overnight.<BR><BR>http://www.castexhotel.com/<BR><BR>I am sure their bookings from fodors etc will see them through the first year until they are dropped like a 'pomme de terre chaud' from the listings.