Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris: Hotel de l'Abbaye, Hotel la Bourdonnais or Hotel du Pantheon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Paris for 6 nights, May 23-29th for our 10th anniversary. I have the choice narrowed to these three:
Hotel de l'Abbaye - 199E (tripadvisor rank 8)
Bourdonnais - superior 180E or Jr suite 220E?? (rank 214)
Hotel du Pantheon - superior 174E (rank 118)

I would appreciate any further insight into distances to metros & dinners. Also, general impressions. I'm leaning toward the Pantheon, but am concerned it is too far removed from many sites, Eiffel Tower and Arc Triomphe. Or is this really not a problem? And are there restaurants nearby?

Thank you for your time & have a great weekend!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:57 PM

I never had a problem finding restaurants when I stayed nearby the Pantheon. If you're willing to walk a few blocks or more you will find. If you want to try Auvergne cuisine, try La Chantairelle. Walk across from the Hotel du Pantheon onto rue Valette and turn onto rue LaPlace. There are other restaurants going towards the Seine. Two others to try are Le Coupe Chou and Le Petit Prince on rue Lanneau nearby rue St. Jacques. Not haute cuisine but pretty good.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 07:10 PM

The only one of the three I'm familiar with is the de l'Abbaye, where I stayed in November. As I said in my review on Tripadvisor (mine is one of the two reviews dated November 9 -- I’m the "Tripadvisor member" from New York), it's a lovely hotel, but the standard rooms are very, very small. If the size of the room is less important to you than things like attractive public areas and a friendly, helpful staff, then I can recommend the de l'Abbaye; if the size of the room is important to you, then you should probably look elsewhere.

The nearest metro stop (St Sulpice) is two blocks from the hotel. However, it’s on the 4 line, which often wasn't very useful for where I wanted to go, so I usually walked to the Sevres-Babylone stop (where you can get both the 10 and the 12 lines), which is only another five minutes or so away.

As for dining, there are too many great restaurants to name within easy walking distance of the de l'Abbaye (but, if you decide to stay there, I'd be happy to name a few that I liked).
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:39 AM

Metro line 4 'can' be very useful, as you say, perhaps not for your specific purposes. But it does link to Gare du Nord for those coming in via RER, and passes thru Chatelet, Cité, St Michel, St Germain, and into Montparnasse (link to the Gare), and Denfert Rochereau.

If you chose Bourdonnais, then you'd be just as 'far' from the Latin Qtr, as if you'd chosen Pantheon and how far you'd be from the Eiffel. Transportation is easy from any of these, so choose the hotel with the best room for you.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:58 AM

The distance of the Pantheon to things is really not a problem. Why do you think it's so far away from things? It's only a short distance to the Seine from there and down the street from the Luxembourg Gardens (the northern part of it), and near the Sorbonne. I just wondered if you had some incorrect information regarding the location.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:38 AM

It is easy to get around Paris, no matter where you are staying. There is the Metro which is cheap, buy your tickets in blocks, and quick. Additionally there is the Bateaux Bus which has scheduled stops on the Seine, you catch it at the Port de La Bourdonnais, across from the Eiffel Tower. You pay one price and get on and get off wherever you want. Lastly if you REALLY want to see Paris, walk, walk and walk. It is a safe city,as cities go, with all types of activities and things to see, both day and night.
enjoy, we did...
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:43 PM

I've only stayed at de L'Abbaye, and for my 10th anniversary!! As Bree says the standard doubles are smallish but are nicely decorated and the bathrooms are very modern. However, the hotel is very charming, especially the front courtyard, entrance and small 'living room' style public spaces with fresh flowers - it is very charming coming back to the hotel at night with the interior courtyard's greenery floodlite. There are many restaurants within walking distance and the hotel staff was happy to recommend some to us. Location is great within St Germain. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.