Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at Hotel de Saint-Germain rue du Four Paris and what shops, eateries etc are in the near area?

Search

Has anyone stayed at Hotel de Saint-Germain rue du Four Paris and what shops, eateries etc are in the near area?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staying at this hotel for 6 days in October and wonder what sort of shops, cafes, eateries etc are in the immediate area.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 12:47 AM

I haven't stayed there but I do know the neighborhood.

You are just a 5 minute walk from Blvd St Germain, with Metro , famous cafes ( Deux magots, Flore) , more restaurants than you could possibly go to in 6 days, Bon Marche, and my favorite shop in Paris, Cite Pharmacie. They have the best selection of cosmetics and fragrances in town and at great prices.

Notre Dame, Louvre, D'Orsay .the Tuilieres are walkable from there.Excellent bus service too.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:11 AM
ira

Hi A,

Look up rue guisarde at www.viamichelin.com.

It and the streets around it are full of restos.

Rue Bonaparte has lots of shops.

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:24 AM

don' know the hotel but the location is as good as it gets!
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM
yk

I've stayed there in FEb 2005, and will stay there again next month. It's OK... Rooms are quite small, and the hotel is located right about metro lines - so the hotel kind of "shakes" every time a subway train passes through. The subway does stop running at night, so one can still sleep ok.

We chose to stay there again in Oct this year because of it's relative cheap rates, and we really like the location. Walking distance to Louvre, Ile de la Cite, Orsay etc.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 02:54 PM

"Convenient to transportation" tinyurl.com/2kong9
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:06 PM
yk

Okay - I found my trip report from 2005 and here's what I had written then about the hotel:
-----------------------------
Author: yk
Date: 03/10/2005, 08:55 pm
Review of Paris hotel - Hotel de Saint Germain, 50 rue du Four

http://www.hotel-saint-germain.com/

Early on in the trip planning, I had decided on staying in the 6th (in my previous trips, I had stayed in the 5th, 7th, and near Opera Garnier). It was difficult to find a hotel in the 6th that would fit our budget (~$100/night) as the $ was weak. After perusing multiple threads on this forum, I found Hotel de Saint Germain which fit our budget. We were eligible for their promotion: Stay 3 nights (inclu Sunday) and get the 4th night free. At € 105/night normally, that came out to € 79/night on average.

Upon check-in, we were assigned room 65. The desk clerk nicely informed us it is on the 6th floor, but the elevator only goes up to the 5th floor (hint: the room is in the attic). The room was tiny, which I had expected, but tinier than I had imagined. It measured about 10 feet x 10 feet, while the bathroom was about 6 feet x 3 feet. The room also smelled of cigarette smoke. Luckily I had packed a green tea-scented travel candle, which lessened the cigarette smell. The double bed was larger than a full-size but smaller than a queen. The bathroom was so small that it barely could fit one person inside. If one were overweight, he/she may have difficulty fitting inside and be able to close the door (no, I am not exaggerating.)

More importantly though, the room was clean and the bathroom fixtures were rather new. The room also has all the basic features: TV, telephone, hairdryer, mini-fridge, and safe. The bathroom amenities included shower gel, soap, and shampoo.

Our room faces the street, but with the windows closed, we barely heard any street noise, even in the morning. However, the hotel is located on top of a metro line. Each time a subway train passed by, I could feel the vibration. The elevator was also rather noisy, but fortunately it wasn't used much in the middle of the night.

We chose to eat breakfast at the hotel, which was an extra € 8 per person. We thought it was a reasonable price, as the breakfast included: fresh squeezed OJ, tea/coffee, and a bread basket (1 roll, 1 croissant, 1 chocolate croissant per person). There was also an unlimited supply of plain yogurt, cereal, and fruit.

Bottom line: Would I stay there agin?
Maybe, with the promotion. Definitely not, without the promotion. I certainly enjoyed staying in the 6th, as a lot of sights (and chocolate shops) are actually within walking distance. The hotel is also within close distance to several metro lines: 4, 10, 12.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:35 PM

Having rented an apartment in that immediate area a couple of times, and stayed other places within a few blocks, I'll agree that the location couldn't be much better for transportation and for all kinds of eateries. Shopping is very good too.