Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid - airport to Prado and back in a day?

Sep 13th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

I may have an opportunity to accompany my husband on a business trip to Barcelona.

We can't fly direct, but need to go through Madrid. I would love to see the Prado again. Last time, I only spent about an hour there and it wasn't enough. And - the painting I most wanted to see - Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights was removed for cleaning!

On the way over, how feasible would it be for me to arrive in Madrid in the AM, take a cab to the Prado for a few hours, then take a cab back to the airport and fly to Barcelona and be in Barcelona for about 6-7pm.

I will not have any luggage with me b/c we will check it through to Barcelona and my husband will take care of it. (He will not go with me to the Prado - he'll connect right away to Barcelona for the evening work dinner that night, get our luggage, check into the hotel, etc.)

Sep 13th, 2007, 05:29 PM

Look for recent posts by 111op. He did exactly that, but in a more compressed time period.
Sep 13th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Wow, that's interesting. Does anyone have a link to that? I can't use the search function tonight - it's cut off on my screen.
Sep 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM
yk

This is 111op's thread that WillTravel is referring to:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35046511
Sep 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM

As long as you can find flights that allow you a few hours in Madrid and get you to Barcelona in time, I see no reason that it wouldn't work. We took a taxi to the airport in Madrid last month and it was a very short ride.

I would just make sure that your bag is checked in your husband's name so it goes on the plane with him if you want him to pick it up when he arrives in Barcelona.
Sep 14th, 2007, 01:14 PM

It sounds like you've a lot more time than I did. My flight was slightly delayed and I was out of the airport around 8 am. I made it to Prado way before 9 am and I returned by 9:50 am for my flight at 11 am.

Under normal traffic conditions a taxi ride should take about 20 minutes.

The time between my scheduled arrival and departure was 3h 50 minutes. I ended up having less time and I still made it.

I think that to be on the safe side, as you long as you have at least 5 hours in between you should have some time at Prado.

I did visit the room with the Bosch paintings very quickly, but unfortunately I can't remember what's there. I know for sure that "The Deadly Seven Sins" was there (that's the one with the table top). I think "Garden of Earthly Delights" was there -- but I can't be sure because I didn't have time to look at it. If that's the painting you care about, you should contact Prado to be sure it really is there.

I also know for sure that not all the Bosch paintings were on display when I was there a few weeks ago.
Sep 14th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, 111op. I just posted on your other thread.

The Garden of Earthly Delights is huge. Also missing when I was there last was the Hay Wain. That was 10 years ago - I better check but they better be there now!!

I did see the table top, and Brueghel's Triumph of Death.

Bosch and Brueghel are two of my favorite painters. They are tough to just glance at though, there's so much to see in each painting.

Sep 14th, 2007, 01:42 PM

I think only the central panel of Haywain was on view. It's been like this for a while, I think. I think the side panels are currently in the Patinir show, but it's the outside panels (i.e. closed view) that are on view.

Actually now that I think about it, I think that it could be the case that only the central panel of Earthly Delights was on view.

I think "Extraction of Stone of Fools" was on view.

I believe the Bruegel was on view, but I can't recall for sure. There's only one Bruegel in that museum.

If I remember correctly, Adoration of the Magi was on view.

Have responded to your other thread too.

Sep 14th, 2007, 01:47 PM

By the way Prado is having a renovation project. You know how these things are when a museum gets renovated. I think mainly the Italian collection is affected though. But could be wrong.

The top 3 -- I agree with the Telegraph choices -- would be Bosch, Raphael, Rogier.
Sep 14th, 2007, 02:15 PM

With no luggage you might consider the Metro from Barajas airport to Paseo del Prado. You can taxi back to the airport. If you're flying ftom the US your arrival might be early (07:00 for example). That being the case, the Museo del Prado won't be open yet if you taxi from the airport. You have to consider all these things if you want to make the most of the time you have,

You should also be able to fit in the Centro de Arte de la Reina Sofia (at Plaza de Atocha, about 15min walk from the Museo del Prado).
Sep 14th, 2007, 03:48 PM

You might have time to go to the Thyssen Museum, just across the street from the Prado. A wonderful museum, in my opinion.
Sep 14th, 2007, 04:39 PM

I love the Prado museum. Personally I would go for it and focus only in El Prado .